Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271106 - 08/03/14 12:01 PM edc firestarters
yee Offline

Sparklite : wallet. no issues after 4-5 years.

mini-Bic : hip pocket. found empty after 2 years with only limited use. Retired.

Bic : front pocket on keychain. No problems after 2 years but only limited use.

Ronson : hip pocket on lanyard for about 3 years. Found empty once and refilled.

small peanut lighter : hip pocket on keychain for about 1 year. found empty with displaced rubber gasket. After I figured it out, it has remained full for several months.

small fresnel lens : wallet. completely scratched up after awhile (not sure how long as I rarely look at it. It was also cracked in several places. Completely useless for EDC. retired.

lightmyfire scout firesteel : hip pocket on lanyard for 4-5 years. absolutely NO issues. I retired the striker that came with it since I have several other suitable strikers (multitool, knife). I have had NO issues with the plastic handle coming off the ferro rod. This has seen a fair amount of use.

ultimate survival technology sparkie : pouch carry about 2 years. some sand got stuck in the spring mechanism and is no longer a single handed firestarter. not very useful. retired.

---

In summary, I have found the lightmyfire firesteel my most reliable firestarter (no moving parts) with a fair amount of use and is my primary tool. The full size BIC isn't too bad but it is subject to the same failure that my mini-bic had. The Sparklite is likely very reliable but has only seen very limited active use.

#271107 - 08/03/14 01:44 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: yee]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Useful testing - thanks

TRO

#271108 - 08/03/14 04:34 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I find it striking that you don't include matches, either the conventional wood matches or the "fire starter on steroids" emergency type. My experience in dicey situations where lighting a fire was critical is that matches work very well. They should be carried in a good watertight match safe and should be paired with suitable fire starter/tinder material - you are setting up for the worst of conditions, not the best.

I do carry a peanut lighter on my EDC key chain and it seems reliable. I test it every now and then and refresh the fluid occasionally. I haven't had to use it in a case where all the chips were down.

If I am out in the woods I generally have my key chain lighter, the dedicated lighter in my cook stove arrangement, plus at least a match safe in my "10 essentials" bag. The need for fire merits the redundancy and the relatively trivial weight increase.

I have found it worthwhile, either before a significant outing or on a regular basis, to check your fire making gadgets and insure that everything is working.

#271110 - 08/03/14 05:11 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: yee]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I agree with Hikermor in that I find the emergency, weather proof matches, to be very reliable and the easiest way start a fire under difficult conditions. I always carry them. There are multiple packaging options to fit different packing methods.

I have found that the Sparkie does have issues with the release button, and that is why I EDC the Blastmatch instead. It is larger and heavier, but I have never had an issue with it. I am still carrying my first one that I have EDC'd for over 3 years.

My Bic lighters I just replace occasionally as they will lose their fuel over time just from being in the pocket. I also have a replacement or two in each bag I carry.

I have not had any problems with my Fresnel lens either, though I do keep it in a protective sleeve.

#271118 - 08/03/14 11:57 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I find it striking that you don't include matches, either the conventional wood matches or the "fire starter on steroids" emergency type. My experience in dicey situations where lighting a fire was critical is that matches work very well. They should be carried in a good watertight match safe and should be paired with suitable fire starter/tinder material - you are setting up for the worst of conditions, not the best.

Fair enough. I haven't found a match that I actually like.

As mentioned previously, I am not a big fan of safety matches and I lost my supply of older strike-anywheres.

I am now left with a supply of the green Diamond strike anywheres which don't work well.

I am in the middle of trying to get hold of a supply of Canadian Redbird strike anywheres which supposedly work as well as the old Ohio strike anywheres.

If they prove adequate, I will coat them with clear nail polish for waterproofing. I rather like the red plastic match case sold at Walmart.

#271125 - 08/04/14 10:01 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Good list.

For the Sparklite and the ferro rods, do you carry tinder?

If not, what's your game plan?

#271126 - 08/04/14 10:07 PM Re: edc firestarters [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I view "EDC" as being exactly that. It's what I carry on my person 365 days per year while I'm awake and dressed. It's not what I carry when I go camping or hiking. It's not what my car can carry.

For EDC, I carry a Mini Bic only. I don't have room for redundancy. For EDC, I stick to the "better than nothing" philosophy. By the way, I carry a man bag, unless I'm wearing a suit or tux.

#271129 - 08/05/14 02:18 AM Re: edc firestarters [Re: yee]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess I don't EDC any fire stuff since my typical day sees me spending my time at work or home/on the way home. I live in the middle of the city where there's no opportunity nor need to use a fire. When I talk about fire stuff I mean for while I'm traveling or camping/hiking.

As matches go I like the UCO Stormproof. I carry them in a UCO plastic case with extra strikers and tinder inside the case. Sometimes I may have them in my Exotac Match Cap XL. Whichever container I use I carry a few less matches than could be crammed in with the extra space used for tinder/fuel. Generally I have one or two Tinder Quik, a couple strips of Tinder Card and one 4g ESBIT tablet. This still leaves room for maybe 15 matches.

#271132 - 08/05/14 04:29 AM Re: edc firestarters [Re: ireckon]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Good list.

For the Sparklite and the ferro rods, do you carry tinder?

If not, what's your game plan?

Tinder:

I have one sure2burn firestarter in the wallet. I have 2-3 tinder quick type on the keychain. I am considering adding a short length of jute.

#271133 - 08/05/14 07:06 AM Re: edc firestarters [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ireckon
By the way, I carry a man bag, unless I'm wearing a suit or tux.

When I attend a formal event, I always give my man bag to Jeeves. It really just doesn't go with the black tie, don't you think.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.