Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#271289 - 08/16/14 05:48 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: BruceZed]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I'm surprised to see that this thread is still on the board.I see some great discussions have taken place on it. I myself am a pyro when Im out. I carry a LOT pf fire making products in my pockets, pack and PSK. That's why I went so heavy on them when I was designing on paper and what prompted my query. I myself have always soaked my cotton balls in petroleum jelly. When I was a kid they were called Air Force fire starters and the article clearly stated they were SATURATED. I have never had a problem lighting them under any condition even though they were smashed. I have never attempted to ignite them with a fire steel however. I agree with matches being reliable, though they are frowned on these high tech days.

When we returned home we stopped at Wal-mart for groceries and I slipped off to sporting goods where I purchased a few items I notice the Coleman match case is now more red than orange. And that the quality of Stormproof matches seems to have gone downhill. Bent, split and even broken splints and the one I ignited did not seem to burn as long or as hot as they did before.
I finally found an Ultimate Survival Technologies item that did not disappoint me. It's a fire steel in a compact orange case that will be in my pocket gear when I wander off the pavement.

Edited by Deathwind (08/16/14 05:51 PM)

#271302 - 08/17/14 03:53 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I treated myself and purchased an Exotac XL matchcase http://www.exotac.com/matchcap-xl/. It's pricey, but really well made and designed. (I know, spend 32 bucks to hold 2 bucks worth of matches?) It shields an interior striking surface from moisture - a unique feature AFAIK. I haven't had to use it yet for real, but I am pleased with it.

Exotac products seem to be well designed, and are definitely expensive, but in the right situations, look like the tool for the job. I have no affiliations with the company, other than being a satisfied customer...

Edited by hikermor (08/17/14 10:36 PM)

#271305 - 08/17/14 04:42 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Exotac products seem to be well designed, and are definitely expensive, but is the right situations, look like the tool for the job. I have no affiliations with the company, other than being a satisfied customer...

I really like my Nanostriker. No affiliation.

#271307 - 08/17/14 07:42 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Exotac products seem to be well designed, and are definitely expensive, but is the right situations, look like the tool for the job. I have no affiliations with the company, other than being a satisfied customer...
Looks interesting. They make two sizes. I'm curious how you decided which to get? The big one obviously holds more matches, but the smaller one looks like it would more easily fit in a pocket?

#271313 - 08/17/14 10:38 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The standard size will fit more easily in a pocket, but I typically carry my matches in my pack. The XL has room for tinder and other goodies. Either size should work fine.

#271338 - 08/18/14 11:07 PM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: Deathwind]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Is the XL sized for the UCO and REI stormproof matches? It seems the standard is designed for strike anywhere matches...

BOATMAN
John

#271339 - 08/19/14 12:29 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: boatman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The exotec XL is 3.6 " long and takes REI stormproofs with room to spare. The regular size should take them as well - 3.6" long

#271340 - 08/19/14 12:33 AM Re: How Much Is Too Much? [Re: boatman]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Either size will hold UCO matches. I just loaded one of each a couple days ago. Two or three UCOs, some tinder & finished the fill with standard strike anywhere matches. To get a larger amount of matches in the smaller one, I limited the tinder in it to a piece of tindercard about 1/4 x 2.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.