The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270983 - 07/23/14 11:57 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yes, water problem is solved but still looking for suitable food

Most stores sell canned cat foods that look like tuna cans. I doubt they will be dry foods. I might as well open a tuna can for the kitten.

My son has a pet turtle + goldfish. Among the foods he has a can of dried shrimp. That may work as dry food for the kitten. Hope it doesn't smell too much thou.

#270984 - 07/24/14 02:11 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hey you can check with a cat forum. Explain to them that you're not in the US, and you can't seem to find dry food here. See what they suggest for commonly available human food that a kitten will eat, that can survive the extreme heat in your area for a few days. I'll send you a bag of dry food, except it won't get there in time.

#270985 - 07/24/14 11:40 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thank you Bingley

I got this from Web MD

Quote:
Cats are carnivores. That's the most important thing to keep in mind when considering what to feed yours.

"Cats are… different from us and from dogs," says Louise Murray, DVM, vice president of the ASPCA's Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in New York. "When it comes to nutrition, they are very inflexible, and owners must realize that."

Compared to what their owners should be eating, cats need to eat a lot of meat for protein and for fat.

"If we ate like cats, we'd have heart disease by age 20," Murray says. "They are not at all the same as humans and they are not little dogs."

She's explicit about this because it's not uncommon for owners to treat their cats the same way they treat dogs, which can eat a variety of foods and remain healthy.

In fact, Murray notes that dog food can be fatal to cats over time because it doesn't meet their nutritional needs and it's often loaded with carbohydrates, which cats can't process well.

#270986 - 07/24/14 11:43 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have left a dish of tuna covered with beans (to cover the tuna smell and provide more juicy prietin). But after reading the WebMD , I am going to ask DW to cook some chiken or meat , just for the kitten

We'll see

#271004 - 07/25/14 06:37 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Hi
I've raised many feral kittens by hand. If it's 3 months old it can eat dry food, just get kitten sized pellets. You could put out half a can of of wet food at a time and collect the can in the evening to help prevent the older cat and other animals from eating what you leave. Also half and half is better for kittens than milk from what I have seen. Good luck with the kitten.

#271049 - 07/28/14 06:01 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Dry food is the only viable solution. Wet food will spoil in less than a day in your heat.

The only other solution is to find someone to come by and feed the kitten once a day.

Of course water is the most important and you seem to have that solved. Are you also providing shade?

Here, for water, I use automatic sprinkler timers that come on twice a day and drip water into several bowls around my property. These timers just attach to the hose bib and run on a battery. They are sold in hardware stores, plant nurseries, and, of course, online.

I also have a battery powered dry food feeder that opens twice a day according to the times you set.

#271059 - 07/29/14 03:26 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Guys, Chisel said his country doesn't sell dry food for cats.

Edited by Bingley (07/29/14 03:29 AM)

#271092 - 08/02/14 11:30 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Bingley]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Guys, Chisel said his country doesn't sell dry food for cats.

True, but might I suggest a thorough search for dried cat food ? It may not be readily available but might be available in a speciality store, perhaps further away than is optimum.
Are there no ex-pat British or American cat lovers in the vicinity ? if there are, they may know where to buy dry cat food, or might be able to spare you some.

If all else fails, I see two options, one would be dried food intended for human consumption something like dried beef.

Or try canned wet cat food that has been frozen. Serve one portion fresh from the can, and another larger portion that is frozen, this will defrost fairly quickly, but might remain frozen for 6 hours, cold for another 6 hours and edible for 12 hours after that. Not really long enough, but better than nothing.

#271093 - 08/02/14 07:57 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Treeseeker]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thank you everyone

I have come back home , the klitten has survived on tuna covered with layers of fava beans. Beans were used to cover the smell of tuna and still provide some protein

You guys mentioned DRY food. Actually it doesn't take much time here to convert any wet food into dry food. LOL

Quote:
Of course water is the most important and you seem to have that solved. Are you also providing shade?

The kitten is hiding in a shaded structure, so that is not a problem. Water was placed in a shaded area and has survived too especially it was in a closed 5 liter container. If it was in a pan, it might have evaportated.

We will now look for someone to remove the cat and clean the place.

Thanks again.

#271098 - 08/02/14 10:24 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! Glad to see Mr. Kitty is doing okay.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.