Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#271057 - 07/29/14 02:22 AM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For solo cooking, I like a Mini-Trangia cookset, with either the supplied alcohol stove or a MSR Pocket Rocket hooked up to an isobutane canister. If confronted with really cold conditions, I would use a liquid gas appliance like my ancient Primus 71L.

For occasional use,I have a sierra cup with a small titanium Esbit cooker and the fixings for a nice cup of tea (/or coffee).

#271069 - 07/29/14 04:52 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Yes, they are Wildman. Especially when you have big hands. I like using disposable cups for instant oatmeal and other hot cereals.

#271072 - 07/29/14 06:48 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
how about this one?
the old Czechoslovakia Army cook kit.

the Sierra wood burning,fan driven stove fits right in.

with a solar battery charger and something,anything,to burn you can always come up with a hot meal or boil water to make it safe to drink.

i think the best way to use this stove is to put a grate on rocks or whatever over it so you can feed the fire box without having to take the pot off.
there are of course lots of ways to keep the pot off the stoves built in pot holder.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/29/14 06:53 PM)

#271081 - 07/30/14 04:05 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
CD,

I've got the Czech kit as well and really like it, but it is kinda heavy. It latches up better than most of the other kits though. The Zip stove is awesome as well.

Greg

#271083 - 07/30/14 05:19 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: Greg_Sackett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of my faves for larger groups is my US Army Mountain cookset, two 2 qt aluminum pots with a stainless steel lid/skillet. Lightweight and very cheap, at least when I got mine - it is dated 1951 and has served well on many trips. I use it less now because I often don't need the capacity.

#271091 - 08/02/14 02:04 AM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
My choice of cooking ware is dependent on the situation. For my day bag I have just transitioned from a Snow Peak 700 around my water bottle (a Guyot Designs 38 oz.) to a Mini Solo (both in Ti). I like the mini because it is slightly larger and if it is cold (and often if it is not) I can carry a 450ml double wall cup in it. A MSR Micro Rocket provides the heat.

If I am going for a few days or longer and only need to boil water I have a Snow Peak 1.4 l and a Caldera Cone Fusion Ti Tri for multi fuel capability and wonderful quiet even if it is slow on alcohol.

If the weather is cold or it is high I have an MSR XGK. It is also used for lots of trips to remote areas because of its capability on Avgas or Jet fuel. I used to carry a pair of nesting Sigg pots, but sometimes use stainless pots if I am not going to carry them far.

If I am going to cook real food I have a set of stainless pots from 1l up to 4l that I can mix or match depending on the menu. There is an MSR fry pan and a tea kettle too. Traveling by canoe or light plane weight is less of a problem.

I also have a few pots left from the days of wood cooking fires if I get the chance to use them. I also have several combo's that I have tried but not continued to use for one reason or another.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#271100 - 08/03/14 02:04 AM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Over the past couple of years, I've migrated to my canteen kit, an old plastic thermos cup and a titanium spork for my individual mess kit. It's a mainstay in my dayhike and minimal over night kit.

When I ramp up to feed the family, it totally depends on who's coming for dinner. (The bacpacboy is pretty good with anything, as long as the food's tasty, and bacpacnotsuchababyanymore still prefers her fingers to a fork or spoon.) I add more pots when the cooking gets more complicated that boiling water, and plates and cutlery come to the party if we're camping for more than a simple overnighter.

When I go to a Scout camp, where there's a group kitchen, my mess kit consists of my Grandmother's ancient aluminum pie plate, an old enamel mug and a basic nesting(?) cutlery set with fork, spoon and knife.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#271101 - 08/03/14 02:05 AM Re: Mess Kits [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
My setup is a little different and won't add anything to your knowlege or experience. However, should you find yourself overseas with no camping stores , here is what I use.

My setup is for PERSONAL car camping, not for hiking, and not for family. It is made of mainly small size house utensils (kettle, frying pan and steel cup) bought from general stores

Cooking is done by a home made Esbit stove (experiemented with a few metal cans & an electric outlet housing). They all worked fine. Esbit cubes are best here 'cause liquid and gaseous fuels cannot be stored safely in car trunk in the summer heat !!!

Utensils and 'stove' are not lightweight. So, they stay in the car. So, as our friend said :
Quote:
cook and eat out of the cookware. Simple is better

This is my strtegy for cutting weight

I have used them a few times when I took persoanl vacations (alone)decided in a hurry. They are OK.

Here is a pic of the electric box I use for esbit

Just open a few side holes and add a couple of metal wire on the top and you are in business

That's brilliant, Chisel!! Thanks for sharing!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.