The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270965 - 07/23/14 04:11 AM Mess Kits
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm curious to know what mess kits everybody prefers, based on their experiences and activities.

I use a USGI canteen, canteen cup , canteen stove, & Esbit tabs for Dayhiking for a cup of coffee while taking a break on a hike.

For backpacking, I will usually use a Trangia Mess Kit w/ the alcohol stove (usually use the campfir though) for cooking Breakfast and supper. I also carry two USGI canteen cups with the canteens as well.

For E&E, which I've only exercised with, I carry an enameled tin cup and a USGI mess kit (plate and frying pan). I presently carry 2 water bottles and a Stanley "canteen" as well since the lower half is also a SS cup.

I also carry bandannas and water purification tablets and a HoBo knife in all my kits.

What are yall carrying for different activities or purposes???

#270967 - 07/23/14 07:04 AM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i use that old Coleman aluminum box kit.made to carry a Peak stove. the large bottom section will cook a good size one pot style meal,oatmeal,noodles or heat a MRE dinner pouch.the top is the right size for boiling coffee water.
i don't use a Peak anymore but carry a smaller Gaz cart and burner.
a fork and spoon fit inside and a plastic cup fits over the Gaz cart and burner. i have tried other kits from odd parts like a small billy inside a 2 quart pot and because the billy have a bale they do work better over a open fire but in the end i went for the Coleman kit and a gaz stove.

this is the kit making dinner on a canoe trip.the bottom section is heating a MRE pouch and enough heat is coming up to cook the rice packet that will go with it.i use a big butane bottles on long trips.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/23/14 07:05 AM)

#270970 - 07/23/14 03:31 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is anybody using or tried the Serbian Army Mess Kit? What do you like or dislike about it?

#270977 - 07/23/14 09:56 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
When a kid in Scout we used the classic aluminum clamshell kit, but as an adult we started using a Lexan plate, bowl, cup, and knife/fork/spoon. Tough as nails and keeps hot food hotter much longer. All stored in a mesh bag so it can be hung and air dried after sanitizing in a bleach solution.

Something like this:

#270979 - 07/23/14 11:20 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I use a Zebra 12cm billy pot.I like that it can hang over a fire or sit on a stove. My stove is a Trangia with a Evernew titanium stand. My canteen is an 38oz Guyot bottle with a Snopeak cup and lid. The billy pot and bottle are a little heavy but bombproof gear. My grandkids will be arguing over who gets them when I can no longer.....

BOATMAN
John

Used the USGI cup.Great piece of kit.Just doesn't fit on my bottle.

#270981 - 07/23/14 11:44 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: KenK]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What do you carry to cook in?

#270990 - 07/24/14 03:03 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
For day hikes and my walk home car kit I carry a Stanley pot because it fits in one of the bottle holders in my pack and holds a gas canister (plus a bag of rice or whatever). I use an MSR Pocket Rocket to boil water for noodle cups and such for the girls, and hot chocolate in the winter. It will nest with a GSI stainless cup as well which is handy. The Stanley pot is mostly useful for boiling water but does have a strainer in the lid for noodles. It is also very affordable at under $20.

I have the Czech kit which is really cool but kinda heavy. Double nested pot with handles that actually keep the system together. I have the British kit (the nested boxes) which is also useful but heavy. All of my emergency kits have canteen or GSI cups and esbit stoves.

For backpacking or more advanced cooking with the family I have an MSR Quick 2 system (I don't use the cups) with the flex fry pan nested with them. I usually use a Whisperlite International stove for these, and they give good flexibility for the weight for feeding 4 people.

The MSR system replaced an older aluminum non-stick set that is very similar to some of the REI systems now. It was useful but didn't hold together as well in the pack as the MSR does. It relied on an elastic strap to hold the lid onto the pot and that always seemed to come apart in the pack, spilling whatever contents were inside. It did cook well though.

#270991 - 07/24/14 04:04 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't have a kit per se, but various pieces of titanium cookware that have held up quite well. My favorite for all around use is a Snow Peak Trek 700 that I originally bought because it nests with a nalgene 1 liter bottle. Then I went one size up to a Snow Peak Mini Cookset. That and the spoon from a Ti spoon-fork set and you have my "kit".

I bought a couple plates, bowls and a bigger cookset, but they're a waste of space and weight imo; cook and eat out of the cookware. Simple is better.

#270995 - 07/24/14 08:52 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: wildman800]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My setup is a little different and won't add anything to your knowlege or experience. However, should you find yourself overseas with no camping stores , here is what I use.

My setup is for PERSONAL car camping, not for hiking, and not for family. It is made of mainly small size house utensils (kettle, frying pan and steel cup) bought from general stores

Cooking is done by a home made Esbit stove (experiemented with a few metal cans & an electric outlet housing). They all worked fine. Esbit cubes are best here 'cause liquid and gaseous fuels cannot be stored safely in car trunk in the summer heat !!!

Utensils and 'stove' are not lightweight. So, they stay in the car. So, as our friend said :
Quote:
cook and eat out of the cookware. Simple is better

This is my strtegy for cutting weight

I have used them a few times when I took persoanl vacations (alone)decided in a hurry. They are OK.

Here is a pic of the electric box I use for esbit

Just open a few side holes and add a couple of metal wire on the top and you are in business

#270996 - 07/24/14 09:52 PM Re: Mess Kits [Re: Chisel]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I disagree with your opening statement as you've already got my thinking broadened into new directions.

Edited by wildman800 (07/24/14 09:53 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.