Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270920 - 07/21/14 06:39 PM New water filters
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As we have discussed on this forum before, filtering water for biological is fairly easy with many products available. Chemical pollutants, however, is more difficult. I have found three of products:

Seychelle Water Filters

Renovo Water

H2O Survival Straw

Has anyone had any experience with them? Does anyone have any insight (yes I know there will be many comments)? I am looking for a way of testing them, and if successful, I will post on it.

#270940 - 07/22/14 03:42 AM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

What chemical pollutants and why? smile
h2osurvivalstraw
Last time someone mentioned h2osurvivalstraw I did some light searching, found its rebranded chinese product, with photoshopped ads

See for yourself Diercon PS01-01

They claim various certifications but none are listed for that model
http://wqa.org/Find-Products#/keyword/Diercon
carbon ceramic for PB01 which is dierconpb01-01-22 ceramic candle with charcoal inside

On the PS01-01 they also claim its PB01 model ... sloppy info

The other sneaky claims
Quote:
0.01 microns hollow fiber ultrafiltraton menbrane filtration

But its only reduces
Quote:
Escherichia coli more than 99.99%.

EPA chlorine minimum for virus reduction/inactivation is 99.99% or 4-logr, but its 6-logr / 99.9999% for bacteria

Sure, there is some chinese certification listed, but its in chinese...
update: right, water-test-certification english version , basically its just bacteria reduction test again, 99.99% ...

update: great criticism of product here , the rebranding label covers the warning (dont use on nasty water), and backflushing is impossible
==============================
seychelle
seychelle is even more meh, the two under $20 deals are activated carbon taste filters (1-50302-C - ADVANCED Drinking Straw and regular 1-50102-C )
... 99% reduction of bacteria smile that's folded cotton cloth level of filtration

I guesstimate (rounding up) about $3 bucks worth of store bought activated carbon in a $1 plastic bottle

Then the $44.95 version , 1-50602-C - RAD/ADV Drinking Straw / Radiological Advanced filter, has ion exchange balls to reduce ions smile

I don't know what ion exchange resin beads sell for ... smile not really worried about heavy metals in the tapwater smile

They all have a capacity of 25 gallons

update: brita pitcher filter lasts 40 gallons or two months, one filter can be had for $5 to $8 (3 pack versus 1 pack)
renovo

renovo looks to be backflushable, the only deal I'd consider investigating because of form factor -- but if you look at the info they provide its also very much meh , they only claim
removes (99.99%) Bacteria, Protozoa, Chemicals, and even some Viruses.

Renovo_Trio_Test_Results.pdf lists number but not comparable numbers, no log reductions, no percentags -- consumers don't like math, when manufacturers make consumers do math, they're trying to pull a fast one

conclusion
All filter salesmen everywhere claim Meets or exceeds EPA standards ... but they usually don't say which standard

So, ignoring that I'm not a fan of the form factor, I'd pass on all three smile

#270943 - 07/22/14 08:47 AM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I never really get the straw filters. (i have the lifestraw) You can only drink directly from them. Unless you want to suck the water up and spit it out to collect enough to make a meal/coffee.

So the only application is for a small light weight kit where there is too little space for a proper water filter.

#270957 - 07/22/14 09:45 PM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
water filters are the new thing,i the last couple years i've seen more offered that in the last 20.
i think those one from China were made for their troops.one per guy to cut down on time lost from guys drinking paddy water.

#270959 - 07/22/14 10:20 PM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: Tjin]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Tjin
So the only application is for a small light weight kit where there is too little space for a proper water filter.

In these cases, I'd think chemicals would be better than a filter.

#270962 - 07/23/14 12:38 AM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The point of this post was to highlight the advertised ability to filter pollutants other than biological contaminants. Biological is easy, chemical pollution is difficult to overcome. With the population increase and concentration in cities, along with commercial farming, ground water in many areas will very likely be polluted with chemicals, heavy metals and other poisons. Having a small and light filter would be very helpful. If it can do biological and other contaminants at the same time, that would be awesome.

I agree that I would prefer to have a filter that I could pour through into a container rather than a straw type.

#270963 - 07/23/14 02:34 AM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
hamiamham Offline
Stranger

Does it need to be a new system? Berkey makes several models to fit different needs.

#270964 - 07/23/14 03:01 AM Re: New water filters (are blah) [Re: gonewiththewind]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is the Pure Hydration Survivor S58 based on the old fashioned military water bottle designed in 1958. These are military issue bottles and water filters.

http://www.purehydration.com/survivor-58-bottle/

It will fit snugly into a BCB Crusader Mug, which will fit inside a PLCE webbing water bottle pouch along with a Bushbox Titanium Outdoor Pocket Stove, Millbank Bag etc (used a Brew Kit and ration heater system)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushbox-Titanium...=titanium+stove

I have been quite impressed with their in line filters as well for Camelbak bladder type systems as well.

http://www.purehydration.com/survivor-inline/

especially when used in conjunction with the Pure Hydration Armored Reservoir.

http://www.purehydration.com/armoured-reservoir/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qRzOzOQqg

You can always fit the Katadyn Activated Charcoal Bottle adapter on the output of a conventional Katadyn Water Filter. Activated charcoal can be replaced with sachets.

http://www.katadyn.com/en/katadyn-produc...mit-aktivkohle/

#271068 - 07/29/14 04:16 PM Re: New water filters [Re: gonewiththewind]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Something perhaps helpful that occurred to me, while pondering your post:

While most pollutants are reactive with carbon, it's likely that there will be some that are not. Don't know if that helps. That may be the focus of your test, unbeknownst to me. Thought I'd offer it, just in case.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.