The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270948 - 07/22/14 04:15 PM Help me feed a kitten
Chisel Offline
Veteran

They used to be a mom and 4 kittens
Now, DW is seeing only one kitten and the smell in that structure behind outr house indicates other kittens may have starved and died

The kitten is 2 or 3 months old. She is active but seem not smart or experieced enough to climb a ladder we have put there and get to the outside world.

We have been leaving food, and it eats it at night when we are not watching. Problem is that one week from now we are leaving for a 3-4 day trip.

I am saking here for suggestions for long lasting type of food that :
(a) can stand the July heat (around 45 deg C) without spoiling
(b) attract the kitten to eat, without attracting a big male cat that used to visit the area(3 weeks ago)

I am also thinking of a water supply that won't evaporate, but food is my prime concern for now

Thanks

#270949 - 07/22/14 04:17 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It sounds like your best move is to capture the kitten and bring it to a shelter.

#270950 - 07/22/14 04:20 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I tried to avoid extra details but to summarize it , these days I am beyond exhausted (loooong story), and need a very quick fix. I will try other things ( maybe capturing it ) after coming back from the trip

Thanks

#270951 - 07/22/14 04:44 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

You can try dry food formulated for kittens. That will probably keep a few days even at 45 degrees. Some cats may not like dry food, though. Dry food is not as smelly as wet food, but that's no guarantee some other cat wouldn't come and eat it.

Leave a lot of water.

The real solution is capturing the kitten.

#270954 - 07/22/14 05:32 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I tried to avoid extra details but to summarize it , these days I am beyond exhausted (loooong story), and need a very quick fix. I will try other things ( maybe capturing it ) after coming back from the trip

Would a local humane society, shelter, or animal control department be willing to capture the kitten for you?

#270956 - 07/22/14 09:09 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Would a local humane society, shelter, or animal control department be willing to capture the kitten for you?

I am on the other side of the planet
We have none of those (that I know of, anyways)
But we have many workers looking for extra income doing small jobs here and there. I am planning to hire some of them to clean up the whole thing , but not now.

My hands are more than full with a sick dad , being fasting (Ramadhan : no food or drink from sunrise to sunset in a hot weather) and several other issues. It all have drained the last ounce of energy I have. Not to mention my arm muscles are injured (moving my sick dad to/from toilet ..etc.) at the same time I have to DIY a few home projects before school restarts a few weeks from now.

This kitten thing has come in the wrong time. Due to hot weather and month of fasting, I am not seeing many workers in the street who will do the job. So, I am left with only one strategy : to buy some time by leaving it some food and water until capturing it becomes easier.

I am even not sure how to leave water there. If water container is too deep , the kitten may drown, too shallow, water will evaporate in 2 hours. But I have an idea for a water dropping system that may work for a few days using a 5 gallon water container.

I also have another idea using an AC unit. Due to humid air, AC units produce water that can be collected. I am extending one of those pipes to that area and can put a pan under the pipe. However, this is only to use if we are at home and some critter is thirsty. I am more than reluctant to leave the AC unit running for days while we are away. Not only it will cost money, but will be unsafe.

Sorry for the drama guys
My son has some pet-goldfish and when we leave for a few days, he puts a rock-like thing in the aquarium which the fish feeds on. I just thought there might be a similar thing for a kitten.

Edited by Chisel (07/22/14 09:23 PM)

#270958 - 07/22/14 09:48 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Yes, I recall Chisel is one of our international members (well, to us Americans anyway). They may not have the same kind of services where he lives.

I wonder whether this will work: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTVyRW55L4o>. Maybe you can even buy a water bottle for birds and modify it.

Try dry food for kittens. That may be your closest equivalent to the goldfish rock.

#270968 - 07/23/14 08:01 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bingley

Yes, I am international member and appreciate being here , so when I had this delimma, I thought of ETS !

The bird water feeder is what I am thinking right now but instead of one liter bottle I am thinking a 5 liter or even 5 gallon water bottle with a tray on the ground. Reason being we already have these bottles at home ( we buy water from supermarket in 5-10-20 liter sizes). Some are replaceable and some disposable. I will use a disposable one by poking a hole near the bottom and placing it in a tray (sitting upright).

I thought of opening a couple of tuna cans , but it will smell and that big cat may come back. So, I put some yogurt which the kitten ate only little. I opened another one anyway just in case the kitten is too hungry to refuse anything. Plus it provides water.

I hope I can find dry food.
Thanks

#270969 - 07/23/14 08:48 AM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I used a 5 liter bottle to provide water.
Made a hole near the bottom and placed the bottle (upright) in a tray.

Seems to be working.
I will watch it for a few days to see how long it lasts.

#270980 - 07/23/14 11:27 PM Re: Help me feed a kitten [Re: Chisel]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
You just invented a DIY old fashioned chicken water feeder.Good job.If the kitten does eat solid food a feeder can be made in the same principle....

BOATMAN
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 101 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.