Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#270912 - 07/21/14 04:20 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Deathwind]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Hopefully it will be better than the last farce of his that I watched. Get Out Alive was a combination Fear Factor (eating gross things) and Survivor (Throwing people who weren't bright enough to read a survival manual before going on the show, then whining about how hard it was and how hungry and cold they were). JMHO of course.But to each his own,I still prefer Cody. I certainly respect your preference for Bear.

I really enjoyed Get Out Alive. I do like competition-style shows and consider this to be one of the best I've seen. I especially liked the concept of having an outside judge that determined who went home as opposed to the traditional "tribal council" style we're used to from most shows. That eliminated a lot of the drama these types of shows are known for (i.e., the game wasn't overly social) and allowed them to focus more on the tasks themselves.

It also looked like a lot of fun smile.

#270913 - 07/21/14 05:12 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Denis]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Denis

You raise some valid points.
Still,in get out alive he was rotating assignments, which is good, but none of them had the slightest idea what they were doing. Remember the "Sandwich" shelter which were simply folding a tarp in half and inserting the bag which resulted in wet sleeping bags? I don't recall a lot of sun or time to dry them out? The guy who jumped fully clothed into the water to retrieve a deer and others had to give up clothing for him? Or that they weren't bright enough to take the wrapper off the hexamine bars to to light them with fire steels? Would it have killed the producers to send them for a one day crash course. I must admit that I am no Cody, but I didn't learn one thing from that series. This is, of course, JMHO, and I do enjoy a good spirited debate.

#270919 - 07/21/14 06:19 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Deathwind]
Denis Offline
Addict

Oh, don't get me wrong, some of the contestants definitely left something to be desired & spectacularly under-performed at times (some you mentioned ... I'm also thinking of that time when the "shelter" consisted of a stack of sticks surrounding their sleeping area!). Like you, I can't imagine going into something like that game without studying up on a thing or two.

I also wasn't clear how much instruction they received from the show, at times it seemed like they just weren't doing what they were shown/told, but I could be remembering that wrong (or just reading too much into what was said).

Actually, as an aside, this reminds me that Les Stroud did a web-based survival contest and I believe all the contestants got 1 week of instruction with Les in preparation. I recall thinking that in itself would make entering worth while. I never got around to watching it ... but it looks like the competition is done & has aired: SOS Island. I'll have to remember to check it out.

So, while the players weren't without fault, I thought Get Out Alive was a good game smile.

#270921 - 07/21/14 06:50 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Denis]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I don't remember the stick shelter, I guess that was to keep the angry bunnies out lol. I agree I would enter the contest for a weeks training. As far as I could tell none of them had any training or experience on Get Out Alive. I think they just applied and were selected by the lowest common denominator, whereas on survivor they try to balance who is moist attractive while being politically correct and balanced in demographics. I still don't know much about Les Stroud but his name keeps coming up so I'll have to check him out.

#270924 - 07/21/14 07:08 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Deathwind]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Les Stroud has been around for a long time. Les doesn't do stupid. He's definitely worth the time to watch his shows.

#270925 - 07/21/14 07:15 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Deathwind]
Denis Offline
Addict

I don't remember the stick shelter, I guess that was to keep the angry bunnies out lol.

I seem to recall they thought it would be a good wind-break and that would be enough to keep them warm with their sleeping bags (I don't think it was!).

I still don't know much about Les Stroud but his name keeps coming up so I'll have to check him out.

Les Stroud is the guy who started the whole survival show ball rolling and is, arguably, one of the best TV survival guys (if not the best). His original show, Survivorman, has him alone for 7 days in the wilderness with just his cameras & a very limited amount of gear. He's definitely the real deal ... and a fellow Canuck smile. I recommend checking out his works.

#270928 - 07/21/14 08:01 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Denis]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Sounds good. I will check him out. I've ordered one of his books. Thanks.

Edited by Deathwind (07/21/14 08:02 PM)

#270933 - 07/21/14 08:55 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: wildman800]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Wildman
I'll be checking him out.
Thanks

#270935 - 07/21/14 09:59 PM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: Deathwind]
yee Offline

I suggest also Ray Mears' work. His work is survival oriented (both books and BBC shows). Some lean toward history lessons, others survival in various locales. All are well done.

I enjoy both Les Stroud and Ray Mears. I prefer Mears' books over Stroud but YMMV. The information is similar.

The rest, not so much since they seem to emphasize means of winning a Darwin Award. Most shows seem to emphasize ways of EXPENDING calories, not the more boring conservation of effort. Glissading down a mountain? Learning how to REASSEMBLE a raft like Lego? Survival in a hotel?

#271145 - 08/08/14 04:27 AM Re: Bear Gryll's [Re: yee]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Let's not forget the way the make up artist skillfully applies mud to bears face Yee. I also notice that Bear s using all his officially licensed gear on his show.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.