The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270898 - 07/19/14 09:36 PM PLB carry?
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
well deciding which PLB to buy was just half the problem.
here's the other half,where to carry it.
the problem is that there is no one set of conditions in a day of wilderness canoe tripping.
out on the water is a given of course and while i stay away from "bad water" and keep fairly close to the shore bad weather can move in fast.i only slip on my PFD if i don't like the looks of things,%90 of the time i'm loafing along the shore fishing or enjoying the view.the rapids in the BWCA wilderness are not the sort you can run as they are choked with rock and fallen trees so i always portage.
thats the next condition i'm faced with.a hiker can put the PLB in a pocket and leave it there all day.portage trails are not like hiking paths.expect mud pits,narrow log walks across swamps or bush whacking around downed trees for a start.so the PLB better be on you as you pick your way down a path that is nothing more than a stream bed running in boot top water.
then how about the camp? better have the PLB handy if a visit by a agressive bear go's very wrong,or a stove blows up,tree branch falls,you fall,have chest pains and so on.
i have put away most of the survival gear that was weighing down my PFD and now just have a foil bag and blanket and ration bars to keep me sheltered until help arrives by way of a PLB alert.
these are some carry ideas.

to keep the PLB from getting bashed around,yes bashed around,i have it in a dry box.someone said in wilderness canoeing everything small will get lost and if can break it will.packs are heaved out of the canoe while standing on slippery rocks or knee deep water.you just can't walk up to a nice spot and set your pack down.
the dry box has cut outs of the PLB from the box it came it to help anyone who might have to help find it without delay if i'm sort of out of it.

first idea was to have it in the boat/day bag with the odds and ends,fishing gear,lunch and so on.

i decided a better place would be in it's own pouch and not covered with clutter.a bit of reflective cord keeps it with the bag.
on a portage that is long,unknown,or known to be bad i would carry just the PLB in a shirt pocket.
at 68 years old i don't have that "nothing can happen" frame of mind i had just five or ten years ago and this little gizmo is going to be my main survival tool.
feedback is more than welcome.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/19/14 09:45 PM)

#270899 - 07/19/14 10:01 PM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Blackhawk used to market a chest pouch called the Sahara Strider... you might find something similar appropriate ...

#270902 - 07/20/14 06:52 AM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good looking kit! I still need to pick up a PLB myself.

#270904 - 07/20/14 01:13 PM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
while hiking, i attach to my backpack shoulder strap a maxpedition ( and am not into tactical and the tag can easily be removed ) "three by five" to carry my digital camera. easy to open, always at the ready, built to last.

downside is that the attachment straps - sold separately - are difficult to remove. it likes / needs to always be in the same place.

#270905 - 07/20/14 08:52 PM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Looking over your post, I'm reminded of the Dayhiking Kit I put together using a 2qt canteen pouch that has both ALICE clips and a shoulder strap. That canteen pouch, or the 1Qt canteen pouch now being marketed by Rothco (has ALICE CLIPS and a shoulder strap, along with an external pocket large enough for a smart phone), or M-16 ammo pouch (for 20 or 30 round magazines) could be perfect for carrying a PLB or SPOT on your person for almost any type of outdoors sports be it canoeing, hiking, or climbing, etc.

I use a radio pouch (about the size of an M-16 pouch) to carry my Doug Ritter PSK (thank you Stu) on my life jacket. It also has velcro flaps for belt carry and a shoulder strap as well.

The usual disclaimer applies IRT ROTHCO.

Edited by wildman800 (07/20/14 08:54 PM)

#270908 - 07/21/14 02:07 AM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Mine is usually in my shirt pocket or somewhere that both hands can reach it easily.

#270910 - 07/21/14 02:41 AM Re: PLB carry? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
At age 75 my treks into the woods or desert could easily require assistance. I may only be a mile or so from a road, but an injury may prevent me from moving. I want my PLB on my person whenever I step away from civilization.

I modified a small pouch to contain my fast find. It stays on my belt and is hardly noticed. It is waterproof (but does not float) so it should be OK even after a dunking. I don't notice it any more than my leatherman which rides along right next to the fastfind. No way I will carry it a pack or anyplace but strongly attached to my body. Been carrying it like that for about 6 years now. No problems.

Nomad

#270911 - 07/21/14 02:49 AM Re: PLB carry? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mine is in a dedicted nylon pocket on my vest, tethered to the vest through the pocket. I prefer to not have critical equipment buried in a case inside a pack. Much better to have it on-person. YMMV

#270930 - 07/21/14 08:19 PM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The Maxpedition strobe/GPS pouch fits the ACR Res-Q-Link perfectly and has 2 inner paracord loops for attaching a dummy cord. The pouch has redundant closures (Velcro + buckle). The Velcro can be tabbed back out of the way if desired. The 3 rows of PALS webbing on the back allows the pouch to be mounted anywhere using MALICE clips, paracord, zip ties, etc. This pouch is ideal for the Res-Q-Link.

The problem with carrying the PLB in a Pelican case is that you must extract the PLB from the case to activate it, and then you can drop it. Tethered in the Maxpedition pouch, you can extract the PLB to activate it but you cannot lose it.

The Res-Q-Link is very waterproof so I don't worry about it getting wet.

#270931 - 07/21/14 08:24 PM Re: PLB carry? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
lots of good ideas here and at some other sites but in the long run i don't really feel i need to have a PLB seconds away.
another solo canoe tripper carry's his on a belt but he also wears ear plugs because he's on edge from the night sounds outside his tent.
there are places where i would belt carry like hiking out West but in canoe country where i can travel around with looking at a map all the time a PLB at hand would be like taking a weapon to the grocery store "just in case". to much Safety Sam" takes the edge off what should be a relaxing,but not easy,two weeks of canoe tripping.

i did add a lanyard to the PLB to keep it on me without holding it.
i do have and carry a bear sprayer on the portages where i'm alone and keep one in the tent at night and another handy in the camp sites.
a good question might be how many have a much needed bit of gear at hand or is in the trunk,under the seat or in a shoulder bag.
if i keep reading these PLB advice posts i'll be making the trip holding the damm thing in my teeth!!!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (07/21/14 08:25 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.