Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#270081 - 05/23/14 12:57 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: hikermor]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Here we are talking about bikes for bugging out, and you guys bring up bolt cutters and hacksaws. this definitely makes bike owners like me very uneasy! smile

I agree...just doesn't sound good!

#270820 - 07/12/14 07:32 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Update - lights are getting brighter and cheaper every year -- and sometimes USB rechargeable. Update your lights if they are more than a few years old.

#270847 - 07/14/14 04:31 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Update - lights are getting brighter and cheaper every year -- and sometimes USB rechargeable. Update your lights if they are more than a few years old.

Definitely ... last year I picked up a $50 USB chargeable front light capable of 480 lumens. Also, more recently, I grabbed a nice little rear light that is USB chargeable for $10.

#270860 - 07/15/14 02:45 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

No kidding! Just yesterday I got an offer from Fenix for a bike light that would turbo to 1500 lumens! It was over $100 but that is still impressive output.

#270864 - 07/15/14 10:11 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Going back to alternate methods-
has anyone ever looked at the electric versions of either the razor scooter or electric/assisted bikes?

#270865 - 07/15/14 11:24 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I think the 500w hub motored electric bikes have the same caveats as the under 50cc gasoline powered ones in that they do not need a license tag... a wide variety and price on the hub motors and controllers between Chinese and German, some regenerative brake...like the rest of the electric vehicle world.... depends upon the batteries... when lithium iron phosphate or newer technology becomes affordable, probably more interest in the 36v or higher systems... we need to make friends with Chile, Bolivia, and anyone else that mines lithium...

#270866 - 07/15/14 11:37 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

I've read some pretty positive things about electric assist bikes recently. Here's a Bike Calgary thread where one guy talks a bit about his e-assist fat bike he uses for year round commuting (mid-way down by GenMacSmiley). As you can see on this same thread gas powered ones aren't as warmly received smile. I'm sure there's other info out there ... this is just one I read recently.

Locally, I understand Power in Motion are the guys to go to for this sort of thing and their website seems pretty good for getting some basic info.

#270867 - 07/16/14 07:16 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: LCranston]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LCranston
Going back to alternate methods-
has anyone ever looked at the electric versions of either the razor scooter or electric/assisted bikes?

Heavy, cost more, more maintenance. In a world were people have a lack of exercise; just pedal. Cheaper and burning fat still beats using power.

#270869 - 07/16/14 01:48 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
They are certainly heavier, and depending on the design, the batteries can really shift the center of gravity up on the frame making them a little trickier to ride.

I've been looking at Prodeco for these bikes. They aren't the super high-end bikes you find in a lot of the bike shops, but they seem to be gaining a good reputation.

Their Outlaw is a Li-Ph 52v battery. Apparently this bike can get up to 30mph.

Anyone who is seriously considering purchasing one of these, I'd recommend they go down to their local bike shop and try one out. The amount of power they have is a little surprising.

What I like about them:

They are pretty eco friendly, at least compared to the small SUV that is my daily commuter

They sure make the hills a breeze, to the point you don't even need to pedal up them. The level of "assist" is adjustable.

Blasting by those guys in spandex is kinda fun...

What I don't like:

The batteries wear out. If the battery is proprietary, and it probably is, and the company goes out of business, as a lot of them will, your really stuck with a VERY heavy bike.

They are heavy.

They do take some maintenance, and you will need parts. Saving by purchasing online really not pay off in the long run when you don't have a local dealer to help you get parts/repairs.

In the long run, I think your money would be much better spend purchasing a really good pedal bike. Get one that fits you, it's not just about tire size. You'll have just as much fun, you'll get some great exercise, and probably make some awesome friends along the way.

I'm not affiliated with Prodeco in any way, btw - just trying to find ways to not pollute the world.

Edited by RNewcomb (07/16/14 01:58 PM)

#270870 - 07/16/14 04:01 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Tjin]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Heavy, cost more, more maintenance. In a world were people have a lack of exercise; just pedal. Cheaper and burning fat still beats using power.

I think electric assist bikes can be good solutions for a number of different situations: for those who have either long or very hilly commutes; people with health limitations (e.g., knee issues); people using cargo bikes. The example I linked to above is also an interesting case, where it allows using a fat bike (5" tires) as a commuter (which, I think, would be awesome in the winter).

Regarding cost, around here a kit costs about the same as one year of transit fare, depending on the one you get. So I think it could be a very good investment for someone who would like to commute by bike but who need that extra assistance to make the daily trip effectively.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.