Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270825 - 07/12/14 09:40 PM Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute?
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Sisal, Manila and Jute are all natural cords. Jute burns so rapidly, it almost flashes, but Sisal and Manila don't burn anywhere as easily. Am I doing something wrong? Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute?

Thank you in advance,
Xavier

#270826 - 07/13/14 01:23 AM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: xavier01]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
IIRC, natural fiber ropes are sometimes treated with a borax solution for fire and insect resistance. You might get a better result if you wash and dry the rope first.

You also will likely see a difference in the burn based on the size of the rope fibers. A finer fiber will burn faster than a courser fiber.

#270830 - 07/13/14 03:12 AM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: xavier01]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Sisal, manila, and Jute are three different materials. The only thing they have in common is long fibers suitable for cordage. Given the very small diameter of jute fibers compares to Sisal or Manila, you can expect it to burn much better.

Sisal and Manila fibers are both stiff, large diameter fibers. Sisal is from the leaves of the Agave Sisalana plant in Central and South America. Manila is from the leaves of the Abaca banana tree of Philippines, Ecuador, and Costa Rica.

Jute is a very soft, small diameter fiber. Jute fiber comes from the stem and outer skin of the jute plant in Asia Minor. It fuzzes up almost like a cotton ball.

I made a length of cable laid (3 cords, each of 3 strands, each of 3 yarns) Jute rope out of garden twine, and it was softer and more supple then nylon rope and as fuzzy as a wool blanket. My Manila ropes were neither soft, supple, or fuzzy. Sisal was even more so.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270835 - 07/13/14 03:15 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: xavier01]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I must admit I've never understood the fascination with jute as tinder. I've never had any success with it, and it seems too much trouble. I'd simply use a cotton ball given the choice. JMHO.

#270837 - 07/13/14 06:30 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: xavier01]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Jute is a multi tasker.It is a cordage and a tinder all in one.

BOATMAN
John

#270841 - 07/14/14 01:53 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: xavier01]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I suspect it is a protective coating as mentioned earlier in this thread.

A little - or maybe way - off topic, but noticing that Mark R is from southern California ... given the current dry conditions can you even practice fire starting there? That would be frustrating to me.

#270842 - 07/14/14 02:30 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: KenK]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: KenK
I suspect it is a protective coating as mentioned earlier in this thread.

A little - or maybe way - off topic, but noticing that Mark R is from southern California ... given the current dry conditions can you even practice fire starting there? That would be frustrating to me.

"Current" dry conditions?

California is, by definition, semi-arid desert. It's never really "wet season" there.

You just have to be careful and not do it someplace with lots of tinder sitting around. Front driveway, on dirt if you're camping, etc.

#270852 - 07/14/14 05:40 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: boatman]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Boatman.

Cotton balls for tinder and paracord for cordage. Jutte just sounds like too much effort. JMHO

Edited by Deathwind (07/14/14 05:43 PM)

#270863 - 07/15/14 06:01 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: Deathwind]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I must admit I've never understood the fascination with jute as tinder. I've never had any success with it, and it seems too much trouble. I'd simply use a cotton ball given the choice. JMHO.

I've had success with both.

Cotton ball with vaseline takes about 30 seconds to plump up to readily take a spark. Just make the fibers nice and fluffy and you are good to go.

Jute takes much more processing. For me, jute works well after taking a length of jute, cut into short segments, separate out each fiber individually and then scrunch it over and over until a softball size (or larger) tinder bundle is present with the finest fluff placed in the center. I would guesstimate this takes 10 minutes or so.

Jute definitely takes more effort.

#270871 - 07/16/14 06:18 PM Re: Why don't Sisal and Manila burn as easily as Jute? [Re: yee]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

yee

I've never used petroleum balls to catch a spark,' I've always used a lighter or matches with them. I've used sparks on plain cotton balls. Now I've taken to injecting semi liquid vaseline into the center of cotton balls with a 22 gauge needle. It works very well, no messy, and plenty of surface material to catch tiny sparks, with fuel inside. have yet to use one under harsh conditions but has never failed in our testing.
I hadn't tried to fluff the jutte I worked with so that's probably why I've never had success. Thanks for the instructional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.