Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#270801 - 07/11/14 07:32 PM Help with new SAK purchase
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
So folks

Looking for a bit of advice.

In a nutshell, I am looking for a new swiss army knife.

I am approaching year 18 in the army. As much as I still want to be with my troops "on the floor" the truth is I find myself behind a desk these days more often that not. When I try to sneek away and help out in the vehicle bay or the workshop it isn't long before someone is coming to find me because of some email/telephone/admin crisis and drag me kicking and screaming back to my desk.

I have been carrying my old swiss army knife a lot more as a result. I must confess, I am usually a die hard multi tool guy but lately I just have no real use for it during the day. I don't need my leatherman surge to argue wirth people on a phone so it usually sits in my day bag next to my desk now while my SAK(now 25 years old) rides in my pocket.

I bought the SAK way back, and I have always used it as I back up or when a multi tool was too big for the occasion (like when just wearing light shorts or my dress uniform) I COULD keep using it, but I was kinda wanting to pass it along to a grandkid some day as a first knife. I am sure I could get another 50 years use out of this thing but I am kinda afraid of breaking or losing it now.

I have been eyeballing the alox SAK's as a replacement. I have narrowed my choices to the farmer, pioneer, cadet, electrician or the harvester. They are all excellent looking and highly similar so it has been a tough decision.

How good is the mini blade on the electrician? Is the saw any good on the farmer?

Any input is highly appreciated!

#270802 - 07/11/14 07:42 PM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The saw is the reason to go with the Farmer. Also, the main blade on the alox models seems to be a bit more beefy. I have an SAK Farmer.

#270803 - 07/11/14 09:19 PM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The small blade on the electrician is good. But unless you need a saw, I'd suggest the pioneer, for the small driver on the can opener. The farmer is also a little fatter in your pocket. The alox blades are slip joints, but they are tighter and more rigid then regular SAK's.

#270805 - 07/11/14 11:15 PM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I hear the main blade is offset slightly due to the awl. This true? Does it make any difference to the performance when cutting ?

#270806 - 07/12/14 12:50 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Just to complicate matters... http://www.sakmodder.com/ he does great work, get exactly what you want.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#270807 - 07/12/14 02:52 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Just to complicate matters... http://www.sakmodder.com/ he does great work, get exactly what you want.

Nice! My problem is that when I find something I really like, they stop making it. This goes for SAKs as well. Maybe he can recreate my favorite one (I can't remember the name, but had a longer locking blade, a saw, and metal saw). My favorite pocket survival knife.

#270808 - 07/12/14 03:42 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: gonewiththewind]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I will have to check into this sakmodder. For me, the ideal SAK is one with NO blades (thus, air travel friendly). I never liked the blades on SAK's in the past anyway, I always carry a separate, locking blade, bigger knife. Blades on a SAK are useless to me (and on a multi-tool as well). To me, a SAK or multi-tool supplements your knife, it doesn't replace it. Except when I'm flying on a plane, then I have to forgo the knife totally (I never check bags - always carry-on only).

I have always dreamed of some company offering a SAK you could custom create yourself - pick the exact tools you want. This sakmodder may be such a thing. I'll have to email the guy. Thanks for pointing this out!

#270809 - 07/12/14 03:43 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

after 20+ years of carrying around a sheath knife on canoe trips i now use a SA farmer my wife gave me.it fits into a leatherman case with a bit of cord to help pull it out.
all i really need is a good big blade. i used the awl a few times on pack straps and my belt and the saw got one real use to cut away a bit of plastic on a wobbly camp chair.
i always need screw drivers for the canoe trim.
it's a real honest knife thats not trying to be a tool box.

#270810 - 07/12/14 03:45 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Taurus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
haertig..at the Mall Of America in Mpls there is a SAK store where they will make you a knife.the nifty tool press of some sort sits in the window.

#270812 - 07/12/14 04:17 AM Re: Help with new SAK purchase [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Oh no! So many awesome choices.

My head is sure to explode trying to pick a custom SAK.

Funny thing, but I picked a new vehicle off the lot in about 2 hours but it will take me weeks to figure out this delima.

Guess I better dig out the number for knife-a-holics anonymous again.... frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.