The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270771 - 07/09/14 04:36 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Getting tinder started with a match/Bic/whatever, and keeping the kindling and fuel burning when all is wet are two different things. I tried to start a fire once (many years back) in very wet conditions and as soon as the gallon of gas burned off everything burned out, rather quickly too. That wasn't a camp fire and nothing critical was hanging on having a fire so failure was no big deal, but it was interesting to watch the fuel put the fire out; that pile of wet wood was never going to sustain a fire on its own.

Anything that helps keep a small fire burning initially is worth trying. Blowing directly puts your face too close to the fire or far enough out that it isn't as effective. A straw or bellows of some type that can put gentle airflow precisely where it's needed is an excellent tool. I'm not sure this collapsible straw will find its way into my kit, but another straw might or I may take a short piece of metal tubing along. Only the part near the flame needs to be metal. A cheap plastic straw that weighs nothing may be all that's required. Gee, those come in water bottles. Time to experiment.

#270773 - 07/09/14 04:44 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I respect your opinion Russ, but even in the mountains after a downpour I've never used a straw or bellows and have always managed to get a fire going. I still carry petroleum soaked cotton balls which work as well as everyone here says. But now I carry a handful of the cubes I mentioned and I'm confident that they'll work even better and burn hotter and a whole lot longer. JMHO.

#270775 - 07/09/14 04:56 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

It's a matter of efficiency. People have been starting fires for centuries without a straw or bellows. A straw/bellows just makes it easier to keep a small flame burning. No one is saying it can't be done without some means of directing airflow right where it's needed, just that this type of tool makes it easier.

This is a tool you can choose to do without; me, I kinda like it.

#270776 - 07/09/14 05:01 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I agree. To me it's a gadget and gadgets tend to fail or get lost plus gadgets add weight. There's an old saying that grams add up. I certainly wish you well with it. I remember a survival instructor using the tube from his survival still kit to blow into a fire once. A whole gallon of gas?

Edited by Deathwind (07/09/14 05:02 PM)

#270779 - 07/09/14 05:20 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yeah, gas was a lot cheaper back then. cool

#270780 - 07/09/14 08:23 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: barbakane]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: barbakane
Dude, that bellows is a joke. Spent ten days canoeing out west....on two different occasions...and started a fire each night without something like that. Just something else to carry and keep track of.

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
..... even in the mountains after a downpour I've never used a straw or bellows and have always managed to get a fire going. I still carry petroleum soaked cotton balls which work as well as everyone here says. But now I carry a handful of the cubes I mentioned and I'm confident that they'll work even better and burn hotter and a whole lot longer. JMHO.

There is wet....and then there is WET. Sometimes starting a fire and keeping it going can be quite challenging, even with the very best possible tinder and fire starters. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in coastal Oregon, Washington, BC, or Alaska will know what I mean. Sometimes even Minnesota, as Byrd_Huntr notes upthread.

This device sounds interesting to me. I think it could be useful for anyone operating in extemely wet areas. I have many times huffed and puffed till I was about to pass out, trying to blow enough air onto just the right spot on a fire to get it going and keep it going.

It is also food for thought for improvising something like this from other gear. For example, my tent comes with a short piece of aluminum tube to repair tent poles. I could probably use that to help direct air into the best spot when fire starting. It would be much shorter and lest handy than this bellows tube, but might still work better than just blowing on the fire.

#270781 - 07/09/14 08:25 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Russ
Yeah, gas was a lot cheaper back then. cool

White gas, Coleman Fuel, or Blazo are sometimes referred to as "Boy Scout Juice". smile

#270783 - 07/09/14 09:20 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep, my experiment with wet fuel and a gallon of gas was in Washington's Cascade foothills.

After that to get fires going I used a 3' propane torch (dragon something) and a 5# propane bottle. Much more controllable than a gallon of gas, safer too.

#270784 - 07/09/14 09:46 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: gonewiththewind]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Everyone is different, but I always make it a point to try and not light WET wood on fire. The extra few minutes it takes to baton down to the dry stuff is worth it.

No offence, but if you can't keep a fire going with a gallon of gas you may want to consider adding thermite to your day pack.

#270787 - 07/09/14 10:57 PM Re: Some new survival items [Re: gonewiththewind]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Montanero,could this be used to to help with a coal burned vessel/cup? I carry a stainless steel straw and a length of surgical tubing. It's purpose is the same as the belows and also for coal burning. I have not done a coal burned vessel.It is just something I want to try....

BOATMAN
John

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.