The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#270658 - 06/26/14 11:39 AM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: Deathwind]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Thanks Eugene. That's kind of troubling. Be nice to have information I can access when I'm old and infirm. I had thought a flashdrives would do the job, but better safe then sorry.

If you regularly make backups to those media then it shouldn't be an issue. For example, burn a new DVD once a year that way your media is never more than a year old.

This is where preparedness and organization meet. Classify and group your data.
Keep all the important documents in one place, all the identity info (ss card, birth certificate, etc), health records, etc. Those are in one place on the computer and in the important documents binder in the safe. Those are backed up across multiple systems and multiple media types (encrypted volume).
Keep all the archived stuff in one place, the tax returns, old bank statements, etc. Stuff you keep because they may be useful some day but don't need them as often and they don't change often. Re-burn that DVD at least annually even if the archived data hasn't changed. Then you can eliminate some of the older copies where the media is more likely to fail.

#270677 - 07/01/14 04:32 AM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Speaking of which, my backup cloud storage provider decided to close up shop on me. I'll add it to the list of service providers that folded under me. Looks like I'm to storing a backup drive in a safe deposit box.

For those of you with computer expertise, is breaking a hard drive into multiple partitions, each one with a full copy of the data, more secure then a single partition? My though was if a sector became corrupted on one of the partitions, the other copies of the data would still be viable.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270678 - 07/01/14 09:20 AM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: Mark_R]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

For those of you with computer expertise, is breaking a hard drive into multiple partitions, each one with a full copy of the data, more secure then a single partition?

No. Sector corruption can happen but some filesystems can compensate for this. The problem is more commonly failure of the drive itself (and ALL partitions fail simultaneously) or power supply issues take out all hard drives on the system simultaneously and possibly multiple systems on the same power grid.

The only thing that having multiple copies on the same hard drive will save is if one deletes a file accidentally, a 2nd copy is available for backup (assuming that you having configured it to automatically mirror).

Off site and off line backup is needed for data security.

#270680 - 07/01/14 01:33 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen the storage provider close happen often, even seen the cloud storage provider loose data and say "oops, we don't have a backup, our TOS says we provide storage not foolproof backups".

Bank branches can close and safe deposit boxes get destroyed as well (hurricane Katrina).

You need multiple backups in multiple places. My most important data is always synced to 4 devices (phone, tablet, laptop and "server") not counting backups. So even if my home were destroyed, and backup locations destroyed my phone is still in my pocket with its copy.

And another scenario I hadn't encountered before. The dynamic dns provider I use to sync my mobile devices from outside my home network was attacked by Microsoft. http://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-...mpaign=takedown

So internet politics is another risk to backup strategy.

Edited by Eugene (07/02/14 03:27 AM)

#274717 - 03/24/15 10:08 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Speaking of Zombies, this one's coming back from the dead ... wink

A Scientific Model Of What A Zombie Apocalypse Would Look Like (And Where Not To Hide), complete with maps that change as the Zombie Apoc' spreads. So there you go, initially most areas outside major cities are good to go, then later on, not so much.

#274718 - 03/26/15 02:37 PM Re: Some basic planning thoughts... [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What should I plan for?
What should I pack?
Which is the best one for me?

The answers to many questions here are...It depends.

Planning and prep are highly dependent on a variety of factors;
What is your state of health? Where are you located? What is your budget?
Season? Altitude? training? Others in your primary group?

Etc. and so on on.

We're here to help, but often the answers is -- well, this is what worked well for me. YMMV

I for one greatly appreciate having a place like ETS to ask questions and seek advice, even if the replies are "it depends" or "this is what worked for me YMMV." I often struggle finding a place to start, whether it's making a pocket sized PSK or a full sized BOB. I know some folks here get a bit exasperated with the sometimes basic questions I ask as their years of experience and expertise have carried them far beyond such mundane queries but I still appreciate being able to ask them, and also appreciate the folks who take the time to reply and offer their advice.

Many thanks to everyone here at ETS.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 173 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.