Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#270529 - 06/18/14 03:41 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Herman30]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Herman30
If I had the need for a lightweight shelter, I think I would get the Hilleberg Bivanorak. http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/bivanorak/bivanorak.php

Long enough to cover legs and feet. A hood. Fully waterproof. Able to cinch shut the opening for hands and feet and therby have a protectiv sack. Weight only 1 pound 4 oz.
This is almost identical (just perhaps slightly longer) with what we used to call a "cagoule".

As I said up thread, there is a more or less complete continuum from "bivanorak" (or cagoule) to bivy bag to bothy bag. I guess it just depends on if you are a lumper or a splitter. If you are a lumper then it is mostly just semantics.

#270530 - 06/18/14 04:38 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with AKSAR, that's a long Cagoule. But at least you aren't forced to draw your knees to your chest like in an old, shorter model. Still I prefer the light bag/bivy combo over a cagoule.

#270532 - 06/18/14 05:11 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What ever happened to cagoules? Years ago, I was on the verge of buying one and just never got around to it...They do seem a rather practical point along the caganobivyboth continuum.

#270533 - 06/18/14 05:41 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

They went the way of disco and Rambo movies Hikermor.

I just listened to this guy, and while extremely long winded he does have valid points on carrying a tent and a sleeping bag in a BOB. And the failings of standard survival gear such as $1 ponchos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYTBoEaaoI

#270534 - 06/18/14 05:56 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
To round it up I´m just happy for time being with what I´ve got. That is; the Kifaru woobie express as the insulating layer and Snugpak poncho that goes on top as the weather proof layer. There´s enough light shelter and cover for my needs. Especially because it is possible to pull in arms and keep them against the body for warmth.

Thus equipped I´m confident that it is possible to spend a night or two sitting up against a tree, if need be.

Edited by Herman30 (06/18/14 06:02 PM)

#270535 - 06/18/14 06:48 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What ever happened to cagoules? Years ago, I was on the verge of buying one and just never got around to it...They do seem a rather practical point along the caganobivyboth continuum.

http://www.rockcreek.com/patagonia/post-foamback-cagoule-mens/37278.rc

http://www.campmor.com/red-ledge-summit-cagoule.shtml

#270537 - 06/18/14 11:06 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Deathwind]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
and while extremely long winded he does have valid points on carrying a tent and a sleeping bag in a BOB

Yeah, but a tent makes you a happy camper, rather than a tacticool hardcore high speed space shuttle door gunner survivalist operator who works out down the gym like these fellows. (training for Dual Survival screen test wink )

Even SAS have been driven insane by the west coast Scottish Midge, which is why I like one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Double-D...me+Mosquito+Net

or see your local Avon Cosmetics representative. Put your Bog myrtle in your Avon So Soft Body lotion not the beer!

Just throw a basha (10x12') over it and peg out for a flexible BOB shelter. You can replace the fibre poles with stronger DAC aluminium poles and save 300 grams.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/19/14 12:00 AM)

#270544 - 06/19/14 07:04 AM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Am Fear..you have the right idea about a tent.there are small one person tents that are like that bug shelter but have a rain fly and would be a much better shelter than a tarp or make-do shelter from a poncho.
many years ago i went on canoe trips using my canoe and a tarp for a shelter.the canoe made a secure water proof roof but taking it down and putting it up in a different way at each camp site was a lot of work.a self standing tent was a few pegs and a couple poles and went up fast in bad weather anyplace.
i think folks are looking for to many clever work-arounds when it come to a basic shelter when a small tent will fit the bill.
i have a old one from the "orange camping gear era" i'll dig it out for a photo.

#270548 - 06/19/14 12:13 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: hikermor]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Consider the Gatewood Cape - dual function poncho/rain gear and shelter. I have no personal experience, but I hear good things - http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/GatewoodCape.html

That's a really cool looking thing! reminds me Russian military plasch-palatka. Perhaps slightly on a heavy side, but still it should do a good job

Originally Posted By: Herman30
If I had the need for a lightweight shelter, I think I would get the Hilleberg Bivanorak. http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/bivanorak/bivanorak.php

Long enough to cover legs and feet. A hood. Fully waterproof. Able to cinch shut the opening for hands and feet and therby have a protectiv sack. Weight only 1 pound 4 oz.

This is also a great thing! Amazing!

Edited by Omega (06/19/14 12:22 PM)

#270549 - 06/19/14 04:35 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Lol. Very true Am Fear. Guess I'm back in nerd class, being equipped to survive, and not being cool.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.