Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#270412 - 06/13/14 05:57 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Do you want something for hiking/backpacking or something to carry in your car emergency kit? For the car, I have a regular heavy-duty Space Blanket folded in half, then completely duct taped up the edge for form a bivy bag. I then fold this up as tightly as possible into a small roll and wrap it with a bunch of paracord (can't remember how exactly much cord, but it's a significant length). I can always cut or peel off the duct tape "seam" to unfold the Space Blanket to use as a tarp in combination with the paracord. This wouldn't work for hiking/backpacking because it is bulky and heavy. But for a car kit - it's what I use (technically, I've never had to "use" it, but I "carry" it in the car kit for "potential use" in an emergency).

#270414 - 06/13/14 06:57 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

#270415 - 06/13/14 07:57 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

A bothy bag would be the classic piece of gear, particularly if in a group/family.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1163

#270416 - 06/13/14 08:10 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: chaosmagnet]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I prefer the Heatsheets 2-person blanket -- it's still small enough to fit in very small kits, but it's a lot more sturdy than the cheap mylar emergency blankets.

Recently I added a small, inexpensive tarp to my car kit (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/base-all-purpose-tarp/, no affiliation) but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. It's small and light enough to go in a backpack fairly easily.

I have both of these in my truck. I also have a pretty cool rain poncho that also can convert into a one person tent as well... Which reminds me... I need to try that out cause I haven't actually set it up yet...

#270418 - 06/13/14 09:55 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: bws48
AMK survival Bivvy?
I also like the AMK survival bivvies.

For casual day hiking, I carry the Emergency Bivvy in the bottom of my pack. Very lightweight, compact, and only about $17. Probably only a one time use item, but it will keep the rain and wind off to enable you to get through the night.

For more serious adventures, and in my SAR pack, I carry a Escape Bivvy . It is slightly heavier and bulkier than the Emergency Bivvy, but still quite reasonable size/weight for a pack. It is breathable, costs about $50, and is sturdy enough to be used multiple times. It is orange, for high visibility, which is desirable in an emergency situation. However, they also make it in OD Green for those who want to be "Tacticool".

#270419 - 06/13/14 10:03 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Grabber Sportsman reusable space blanket is another option.They are 5'x7' and have grommets on the corners.In hot sunny weather they can be flown silver side up.It will reflect the suns heat away as well as make a shade spot.lots of options with this item.....

BOATMAN
John

#270421 - 06/14/14 12:22 AM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
This is my go to gear for such purposes. Includes the Grabber Outdoors (Space Brand) All Weather Blanket, an air mattress and a small and very lightweight tent. I think Bacpacjac has the same tent?

Over the years, I tried just about every emergency type bivy blanket/shelter on the market but always come back this setup because it works for me. I particularly like the blanket which has grommets in it and can be strung up as a deflecting sun or rain shelter over the tent.

John Lubbock

#270430 - 06/14/14 02:58 AM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for those in hotter climates, don't overlook the utility of a simple golf umbrella

#270433 - 06/14/14 06:33 AM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
in my PFD i have one of those survival bivvys to get into and a good,not 99 cent chepo,foil blanket.the along with the thin foil blanket i have the cord and tape to make a rain/wind break.
in the same pouch i have a head net and packs of bug off.
i assume ditching the canoe and losing the gear would be in really bad weather so those items would be a good start.
i stay away from bad water so every having to use these is very remote however i now wear or carry my PFD on some of the long nasty portages.if i fall and can't keep walking i can "camp" on the trail until someone comes along.
the PLB i'm picking up will solve the major problems.

i should note that after reading the posts here for the last few years i don't head off for a bit of walk in the Mississippi river back water areas without putting a few things in my pocket i never thought of before like a whistle,Bic,small foil blanket and one or two other things.
i always take my SAK and cell phone anyway.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (06/14/14 06:38 AM)

#270457 - 06/15/14 04:27 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: haertig]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: haertig
Do you want something for hiking/backpacking or something to carry in your car emergency kit?

I was thinking something versatile - mainly use in conjunction with a car, but abroad, i.e. compact enough for flights and transportation to the destination. I worked in Kazakstan couple of years ago. I decided to rent a car with my colleague and drive somewhere in the countryside outside Astana during the winter. Our local colleagues told us it was absolutely bad idea - if you break down, and Astana is officially the second coldest capital in the world, then you are in serious problem, especially because the mobile coverage outside the city is not great.
Like the idea of survival bivi bags and bothy bags. Which one in your opinion is a better option? And how to isolate yourself from cold ground? I cannot think of anything but a small inflatable swimming mattress, other things might be just too big to carry around "just in case"

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 448 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.