Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#270488 - 06/17/14 04:46 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

I love a warm, summer rain. I love standing there in it with concrete under my feet. Then I would go into a building dry off, drink a cup of coffee and continue to watch the rain. And yes, I too love the smell of the rain.

Jeanette Isabelle

Happily, you can pretty much count on daily summer rain from approximately June through September. Excellent thunderstorms, too, and the occasional drama of a tropical depression. Central Florida is similar to the non-coastal rural south, and "rural south" is an acquired taste for those who grew up elsewhere; it is not a taste which everyone chooses to acquire. It would be wise to choose a local activity-canoes, kayaks, horses, boats- and expand your horizons and contacts thereby. Sadly, wisdom is not always palatable, and those approaches have not worked well for me. Good luck and God bless.

#270497 - 06/17/14 10:11 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Don't forget having watermelon while you are rocking on the porch.

#270501 - 06/17/14 11:44 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: RayW]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
and how fer can ya spit them seeds?

#270504 - 06/18/14 12:33 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I think everyone is different. You'll find out what makes you happy or unhappy, I suppose. Sometimes it's the lack of things to do. Sometimes it's just the sort of people who live in small towns. Sometimes it's just the time of your life. Sometimes it's *that* particular small town. So stay vibrant. Do stuff. If it doesn't work after you've given it some time, find a way out.

I went through the same thing, moving from NYC to a small Midwestern town. I picked up new hobbies that are impossible to pursue in NYC (e.g., USPSA). But at the end I discovered I really need the openness and energy of a lively city, and I like being surrounded by busy people full of ideas and projects. So after a few years of job hunting, I am moving to a coastal city.

#270512 - 06/18/14 04:41 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
It's always nice if you can get 'em past the porch rail while staying in the shade.

Edited by UTAlumnus (06/18/14 04:43 AM)

#270513 - 06/18/14 07:35 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Sounds like a difficult situation.

I can only suggest that you actively look for some things which you like doing, people who you like being with etc and try not to focus on what you’re missing, too much.

If you focus on what you don’t have it will make you unhappy, then more unhappy and you may start to blame people for it .....

Try and find someone you can talk to about it, don’t let it build.

#270527 - 06/18/14 02:27 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Oh. I'm sorry, JI. I know how hard that can be to deal with. I wish you the best in your situation.

#271367 - 08/20/14 03:35 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I live in a western suburb of Philly. Even that is too much city for me. Where I grew up, I could walk in my backyard into the woods, and where our property line ending, the woods continued far into state game lands...

Being in a more quiet setting forces someone into self reflection. You have to learn to be quite content with yourself with there are no distractions from a larger city.

On the plus side, lots of opportunities to just go out into the "wilds" to indulge in some survival practice. Take a fun new tool out for a spin and see how it performs. Learn to identify wild edibles (I'm looking at you Blast!).

Every place you live opens the door for new adventures as long as you are willing to look for them and be open to them.

#275717 - 07/08/15 05:38 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
A lot of work has been done to the yard. It's an improvement.

Recently I found a Dairy Queen. I was so excited until I walked in and saw the menu. They had four deli sandwiches to choose from and they come with a bag of chips. Calling themselves Dairy Queen is a misnomer.

This is a Dairy Queen menu:

http://dqtexas.com/menu.htm

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dairy Queen, been a loyal customer since childhood.

Jeanette Isabelle

#275723 - 07/09/15 08:44 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That sucks, Jeanette Isabelle. I worked at DQ when I was a kid. I can't imagine not being able to get a big gooey burger or Blizzard there! Beyond that I hope you're settling in and finding rewarding things to do.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.