The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270368 - 06/12/14 03:29 PM Unusual fatality
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is not clear whether immediate first aid might have altered this unfortunate outcome.....

Yellowstone National Park (ID,MT,WY)
Yellowstone Visitor Killed By Falling Tree

A 36-year old man from Taiwan was killed by a falling tree on Monday afternoon June 9th. He was part of a small family group hiking the Fairy Falls trail, which is north of the Old Faithful area.

The man had left the trail and ascended a nearby tree-covered slope in an apparent attempt to get a better view of Grand Prismatic Spring, when a lodgepole pine tree fell and struck him in the head. Visitors who witnessed the incident made their way back to the trailhead, about a half mile from the accident. They encountered two park maintenance employees working in the area, who relayed the information to Yellowstone law enforcement rangers via radio.

Rangers/Paramedics immediately responded and found that the man had sustained a serious head wound and that he was bleeding profusely. A life flight was ordered up and was en route while rangers provided ALS interventions, placed the man into a wheeled litter, then moved him to the life flight landing zone. Just as the helicopter landed, his condition deteriorated, and attempts to revive him failed. He was declared dead at the scene.

Rangers and a NPS Coroner are continuing to investigate. Responders reported windy weather conditions in the area at the time. The fallen tree had been a standing, dead lodgepole, fire-killed during the park’s 1988 fires. Ranger/Paramedic Dennis Lojko was the incident commander.

#270372 - 06/12/14 04:53 PM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Poor guy. Did they state why the tree fell? High winds, lightening strikes or other reasons?

#270392 - 06/13/14 05:19 AM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very sad. A freak accident to be sure. Just goes to show you're never 100% safe anywhere.

#270394 - 06/13/14 07:45 AM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is not clear whether immediate first aid might have altered this unfortunate outcome.....
----------------------snip----------------
Rangers/Paramedics immediately responded and found that the man had sustained a serious head wound and that he was bleeding profusely. A life flight was ordered up and was en route while rangers provided ALS interventions, placed the man into a wheeled litter, then moved him to the life flight landing zone. Just as the helicopter landed, his condition deteriorated, and attempts to revive him failed. He was declared dead at the scene.
This is just speculation on my part, but I suspect first aid might not have made much difference. While head wounds can bleed profusely, that (external) bleeding is usually not enough to be life threatening, in and of itself. Bleeding inside the skull ("closed head trauma"), however, can kill one fast. The pressure from bleeding inside the skull squishes the brain. Not much can be done about that in the field. A Helo evac to a neurosurgeon was the right call, but time was not on the victims side. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

#270395 - 06/13/14 07:54 AM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Poor guy. Did they state why the tree fell? High winds, lightening strikes or other reasons?

The note would suggest wind:

"Rangers and a NPS Coroner are continuing to investigate. Responders reported windy weather conditions in the area at the time. The fallen tree had been a standing, dead lodgepole, fire-killed during the park’s 1988 fires. Ranger/Paramedic Dennis Lojko was the incident commander."

There is a reason old dead snags are sometimes called "widow makers".

#270397 - 06/13/14 11:34 AM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

This sort of incident was actually a infrequent, but still fairly common, occurrence in Panama. At the Jungle Operations Training Center there were quite a few casualties over the years where trees, or just limbs, fell on soldiers. We lost three in one incident in the late 1980s. The trouble there was that the soil was not very deep, and there was a bedrock of hard ancient coral under it. When the soil was saturated the large trees just lost their hold. There were also many insect species that weakened large limbs, causing them to fall. It was not such a freak accident there, unfortunately.

#270413 - 06/13/14 06:02 PM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

When static at a campsite, the excellent JungleCraft site has a video in which the proprietor uses an extra Dyneema ridgeline to provide at least some (chance of) protection from a falling branch. Nothing is guaranteed but I can see where stringing up a few of these lines would offer some degree of minimizing the impact.

#270434 - 06/14/14 06:58 AM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: hikermor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i was back in a camp that i had been in a few years before and when i walked over the the "just right" tent spot i found this snag driven into the ground.it must of hit hard as you can see the top end busted off next to it.

if you follow the link it's to a long story about a couple who had a tree fall and pin them in their tent.
i have camped on Tiger Bay several times!

http://www.bwca.cc/diaries/closecall.htm

#270437 - 06/14/14 12:38 PM Re: Unusual fatality [Re: AKSAR]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
There is a reason old dead snags are sometimes called "widow makers".

recently, near Yosemite.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.