Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#270400 - 06/13/14 02:13 PM Lightweight/compact shelter/protection
Omega Offline
Journeyman

I was thinking about some suitable shelter that is compact and can be easily carried for emergencies, particularly in cold windy conditions. Mountain climbers regularly experience extreme conditions and their gear includes good lightweight clothing, tent, good sleeping bag and sometimes a candle.
Si think something similar, but smaller and lighter, can be achieved by an emergency shelter, inflating mattress/chair/pillow (floor insulation) and suitable clothing (what you wear in case of emergency). I guess it is not going to be a comfortable or long-term resting equipment, but good enough to survive. What do you think?

Then there is another extreme - heat. In this case, you need a sun protection (double layer of a sheet separated by air) installed on poles and hide under it. Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat. I guess it is already something relatively lightweight. Are there lighter alternatives?

Thanks

#270401 - 06/13/14 02:31 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Omega
I was thinking about some suitable shelter that is compact and can be easily carried for emergencies, particularly in cold windy conditions. ... but smaller and lighter, can be achieved by an emergency shelter, ...not going to be a comfortable or long-term resting equipment, but good enough to survive.

.. another extreme - heat. In this case, you need a sun protection ... relatively lightweight. ...

Space blanket. The cheap ones, though, are effectively single use.

Can't fold them back up but are useful to break the wind in cold (but doesn't insulate) and also protects from sun in heat.

#270402 - 06/13/14 02:50 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The classic mountaineering shelter for cold and windy is a bivouac sack - one that is basically just a bag, not a mini-tent. It will weigh under a pound and will keep off wind and rain. Often used when sitting out the night on an exposed ledge, it doesn't have bug netting or any weighty frills.

For sun protection, find some shade or rig a space blanket.Some distance hikers advocate a light weight umbrella if one is moving. Staying off the ground or finding natural shade is a good idea.

#270403 - 06/13/14 02:53 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I prefer the Heatsheets 2-person blanket -- it's still small enough to fit in very small kits, but it's a lot more sturdy than the cheap mylar emergency blankets.

Recently I added a small, inexpensive tarp to my car kit (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/base-all-purpose-tarp/, no affiliation) but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. It's small and light enough to go in a backpack fairly easily.

#270405 - 06/13/14 03:44 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat.

Just noticed this. Don't even think about it. You will expend far too much energy and get way too hot. I am archaeologist with a lot of desert experience. Actually, natural shade isn't that hard to find in most desert situations, especially if you are motivated.....

Edited by hikermor (06/13/14 07:33 PM)

#270406 - 06/13/14 05:13 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Maybe even excavate the ground to avoid ground heat.

Just noticed this. Don't even think about it. You will expend far too much energy and get way to hot. I am archaeologist with a lot of desert experience. Actually, natural shade isn't that hard to find in most desert situations, especially if you are motivated.....

You don't have "people" to do that for you?

#270407 - 06/13/14 05:21 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Extra large leaf bag. Use as a bivy in cold, wet weather.

Slit down sides to make a sun shade. Black is best for that. Beats the light space blankets for the darkest shade.

#270408 - 06/13/14 05:26 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Kifaru woobie express.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/20120323-191543.jpg

+

Snugpak patrol poncho.
http://www.proforceequipment.com/images/119/main.jpg

+

Something to sit on that keeps the behind off the cold ground.

Edited by Herman30 (06/13/14 05:28 PM)

#270409 - 06/13/14 05:26 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: Omega]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in my remain overnight bag....I don't sleep well on the ground, so have decided that I would most likely get a couple of hours of sleep propped against a tree, sitting on my pack or other insulating, elevating object...a vinyl coated nylon poncho, and boonie hat for upper body, and contractor's clean up bag for my legs... that would allow me to remove shoes and socks to allow feet to dry... a mosquito net and an additional head net with a light pair of cotton gloves to protect my hands from mosquitoes and no see ums ...a long sleeved nylon shirt and fleece jacket are also included... I typically don't encounter temps below freezing in my part of the state

#270410 - 06/13/14 05:28 PM Re: Lightweight/compact shelter/protection [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: MDinana

You don't have "people" to do that for you?

Sometimes,yes, but not always. There are times when you just have to grab a shovel and start moving dirt.

Over the years, on various projects, I have used everything from road graders and backhoes to fine brushes. Even used dynamite, a quarter stick at a time, on one occasion.

Better to find a hole than dig one....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.