Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270676 - 07/01/14 03:42 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Doe anyone actually know how to fight with a tomahawk?

You make some excellent points. However there is no weapon that can be relied upon to be effective without any skill from the user. I doubt anyone here would choose a 'hawk as a weapon unless they were prohibited by circumstances or law from having a better weapon. An axe or knife is probably better viewed as a tool that can be pressed into service as a weapon if the situation warrants it.

It would be possible for someone to grapple and grab a tomakawk by the handle but I think most people will try to avoid a weapon, not close with it. Distance is key for striking weapons as a rule; getting in close is an effective way to negate them but it's often counter-intuitive for most people.

Personally I wouldn't have a lot of use for a tomahawk. It wouldn't be a very good tool for my uses and I prefer to carry a firearm for defense. And no, I don't really know how to fight with a 'hawk aside from the strategy that is obvious to all (ie to simply whack someone with it!).

#270682 - 07/01/14 03:34 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Does anyone actually know how to fight with a tomahawk?

Hahahaha! these days very few people know the skills. I suppose that's a VERY good thing. but 200-300 years ago it was a completely different story in North America. they were commonly used by the Plains tribes of the Native Americans. also used quite a lot in some battles during the early wars of America - before Independence. and have been used on the battlefield ever since then. I think the US Army does still teach a few tomahawk methods to this day - not sure that regulars see this though.

practically speaking - would you even stick around if someone picked up a tomahawk. I wouldn't. HAHAHA!! I expect most people would get running pretty quickly. :-)

Pete

#270687 - 07/01/14 11:06 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: nursemike]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: nursemike
The reigning mall-ninja authority on tomahawk fighting is lynn thompson,

I am sure that more than a few of the Marines and Soldiers that Peter LaGana taught how to use his tool (and even more of their students) are still around. Many of these people had to opportunity to "try" it in serious situations. They certainly know how to use one. I had the opportunity to spar with and against one in the 60's against a student of LaGana. I will tell you that they can be used well and have a place in combat. For a non soldier, they have less use. I would not carry one outside the military. There are usually better civilian defensive tools around and most are poor for more ordinary use. A good lightweight axe is much superior for bush use.

The CKRT looks like the fire axe not often seen but present on commercial airliners and in airport fire equipment. Designed to open aluminum cans quickly. If the opener on your beer fails, it should be a great tool. They can certainly open an aircraft quickly.

Seriously, it looks like an excellent version of a small fire axe. I carry a much older (and heavier) one hand fire axe (WWII British Aircraft axe) in my car. It has helped in a number of extractions. I would expect the CKRT to be equally useful.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#270690 - 07/01/14 11:21 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
There certainly is some utility to a hawk in the woods. Some are more utilitarian than combat in function. The cold steel trail hawk appears to be kinda useful although I don't see it being more useful than my wetterlings Axe.

That being said I certainly wouldn't want to square off against anyone swinging one at me. If push came to shove I would rather have a tomahawk in my hand for self defense over a knife. Even in untrained hands it would be a rather intimidating weapon.

I can honestly say the fear of finding myself in a fight to the death against multiple opponents using any kind of edged weapon (zombies excluded) is not something that keeps me awake at night.

#270694 - 07/02/14 04:40 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If you get one of these Kanjees, consider wrapping the spike with some duct tape or a piece of rubber hose. something that protects you against impalement by the spike (!). could be a useful training tip that might save a few stitches at the ER. [NO .. it has not happened to me yet - but close :-) ].

Pete

#270717 - 07/04/14 07:10 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Doe anyone actually know how to fight with a tomahawk?

From what I've seen of Dwight C. McLemore books, his techniques seem to be legitimate. I've seen similar techniques in fighting codex's from late medieval and renaissance periods.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.