Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270232 - 06/02/14 03:36 PM Portable, versatile toolkit
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is prompted by an incident yesterday. I was approached by a woman seeking assistance for a broken bicycle chain. I immediately offered my Wave. "What kind of a guy carries pliers around all the time?" she uttered in disbelief. Answer: those who are equipped to survive...

I currently carry a Wave, bit kit, bit extender, and 4" adjustable wrench in a hip pouch. This is supplemented when on duty, with a Leatherman Z-Rex strap cutter with a 1/4" hex drive. In my vehicle I have an el cheapo socket set with a hex drive, 1/4" drive adapter.

This seems like a good beginning, but I am interested in what the assembled expertise of this group could propose for nifty improvements.

The goal would be compact, not too heavy, and quite versatile, suited for the occasional odd job - not continuous use. The core would be EDC, with supplements readily available.....

Thoughts and suggestions, anyone?

#270233 - 06/02/14 04:11 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What you carry is good in general, but did they suffice in fixing her bicycle chain? I carry tools for bicycle specific issues in a small kit under the seat of my bike. For chains, there are tools and spare links.

#270234 - 06/02/14 04:32 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I keep an emergency kit in a backpack in my car. Among other things it contains a Leatherman Surge, a Leatherman bit kit and extender, duct tape, cable ties and a pry bar.

The car-specific kit (not in the backpack) contains Rescue Tape (http://www.rescuetape.com/), radiator leak stopper, a tire patch kit, an assortment of automotive fuses, and some heavy gauge wire. There's also a battery jumpstarter with a compressor. The spare tire compartment contains a jack, tire iron, spare tire and jumper cables.

My bike kit contains a Leatherman Sidekick, a set of Fix It Sticks (http://www.fixitsticks.com/), a spare tube, a tube patch kit, tire levers, an emergency tire boot, and a chain repair link. All of that fits in a small under-seat bike bag. Other than the spare tube it's a very small and light kit. I had three "saves" of members of my bike group last summer with this kit.

My laptop bag contains a (pre-2004) Wave, a silent ratcheting screwdriver with a large assortment of bits, a precision screwdriver with an assortment of bits, and some cable ties.

I have a separate Surge, bit kit and extender in a belt sheath with a flashlight that I'll throw in a bag or on my belt depending on where I'm going and what I'm up to. If I'm carrying lighter it will be a Wave with no sheath and no bit kit. I always have a PS4 (or a Style PS if I'm flying) on my keyring.

#270235 - 06/02/14 04:55 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I currently carry a Wave, bit kit, bit extender, and 4" adjustable wrench in a hip pouch. This is supplemented when on duty, with a Leatherman Z-Rex strap cutter with a 1/4" hex drive. In my vehicle I have an el cheapo socket set with a hex drive, 1/4" drive adapter.

This seems like a good beginning, but I am interested in what the assembled expertise of this group could propose for nifty improvements.

A pocket knife and a bit of duct tape?

#270237 - 06/02/14 05:16 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I would have countered with, "How do you expect me to assist you with repairing your chain without tools?"
But I'm known around the department and life in general as a smart aleck.

#270238 - 06/02/14 06:44 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
A general all purpose keep in my car kit

Glove box:
*Headlamp
*Automatic punch
*Tire pressure gauge
*List of tow companies that work with my insurance
*Owners manual

16" toolbox in trunk:
*Scissors
*Gorilla Glue duct tape
*Rubber mallet
*Fire extinguisher
*Spare bulbs (headlight, tail/brake lights, turn signals)
*Spare fuses
*Extra Motor oil
*Fire extinguisher
*10 ft precut lengths of 1/4" utility rope
*Paper towels
*Ice scraper

In spare tire well
*Gloves
*Jumper cables
*Pouch with the following tools:
**Channel lock pliers
**Vise grip/Adjustable crescent wrench
**Needle nose pliers
**Combination wrench set (metric to fit car)
**6 in 1 screwdriver/bit driver
**18mm Olfa knife
**Feeler gauge

For on person/bag I'd add a flashlight, cord/shoelace, and reusable zip ties.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270241 - 06/02/14 07:40 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Well, I was on the job, so I had to be nice. Besides, she came back quite enthusiastic, handing me back my Wave, saying, "There are all kinds of tools in here." So I expounded on the many virtues of multitools and dragged out my PS4, which is probably better suited for demure ladies. She was off immediately for the nearest REI.....

Actually, ounce for ounce and dollar for dollar, the PS4 is probably the better deal.

#270242 - 06/02/14 07:56 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
handing me back my Wave, ..., out my PS4, which is probably better suited for demure ladies.

Actually, ounce for ounce and dollar for dollar, the PS4 is probably the better deal.

Huh? You EDC BOTH a Wave and a Squirt PS4? Why?

#270243 - 06/02/14 09:35 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: yee]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: yee
Huh? You EDC BOTH a Wave and a Squirt PS4? Why?

I know you weren't asking me, but since I do at work I'll tell you.

The PS4 is on my keyring and always available. The Wave is usually in my laptop bag which may not be in reach.

Every so often, having both is awesome, like in a datacenter environment when I need two pairs of pliers to make something come apart or go back together.

#270244 - 06/02/14 10:53 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Chaos speak with straight tongue, Kemosabe. The PS4 is on the key ring, and is always there, except when flying commercially. The Wave is almost always on my belt, but there are situations where it is inappropriate. It is surprising how often I reach for the PS4 when I have a choice.

I am not planning to pack a Surge on my other hip...Now that would be excessive!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.