Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#270268 - 06/04/14 03:04 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
yee,

There are lots of those types of wrenches (I have a pocketwrench that is often in my bag) that look interesting. Survival Resources shows six different ones ( http://www.survivalresources.com/Products/EDC_PTools.html )(no association). The Widgy prybar is much smaller and lighter than any of that type I have seen. I have 2 Ti and 2 Steel on various key rings. My house keys have a 3" Ti bar and it is the one I use most often. The pocketwrench would not fit in the coin slot of a candy machine (did this last night) to remove a stuck dollar coin that someone tried to use. My class was happy that they could all get their sugar fix. :-) Each tool has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I also have a Spyderco Spyderwrench which breaks apart to provide an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver. Similar in concept to the RanchHand shown on the SR site above. A great idea, but not the best pliers and a bit heavier than most multitools.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#270269 - 06/04/14 03:22 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I abused my PS4 by twisting it, and broke the jaw... when I decided to upgrade to a more powerful cr123 LED light, a pouch was a suitable solution, so had room for the larger Juice S2.. I'm retired, so having the pouch can be passed off as an old guy thing...

#270270 - 06/04/14 03:24 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'll bet you almost anything that Leatherman will replace it under warranty. The last time I sent something in I had a new one back in my hands in a week.

#270271 - 06/04/14 03:46 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Regarding mini pry bars, it seems folks like them more as a day to day tool, rather than thinking of them primarily as a survival item. That's totally cool. I may acquire a couple of minis prys for general use.

I can't recall the last time I've broken a knife blade. But then again I have lots of assorted screw drivers and other tools stashed at various places around the home and in our vehicles, so I don't usually use my knives to pry with. I did manage to break a Leatherman Juice C2 once, by trying to use small pliers for a big pliers job.

Regarding kits, I have a small repair kit I sometimes carry. It has an older Leatherman Kick, a very small crescent wrench, duct tape, a small roll of gorilla tape, electrical tape, zip ties, a Patagonia sewing kit, some wire, fabric repair tape, a small tube of Gear Aid Seam Sealer, and a few other odds and ends. It is too heavy for backpacking, but I carry it when sea kayaking and similar situations. With it I have repaired a tent pole, fixed a stove, fixed a rudder on a kayak, etc etc.

#270288 - 06/05/14 02:31 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Living in EQ country, I have a variety of prybars - one about two feet long or so lives right beside the bed - longer one are stashed outside. They will see plenty of use if the Big One strikes.

I do have one of the County Comm mini bars and it has been useful - it is just a matter of scale....

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.