Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270257 - 06/03/14 08:16 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: Blast]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Blast
Along with assorted Leathermans I like my little CountyComm 3" Widgy prybar.
http://www.countycomm.com/barfamily.html
-Blast
I see a lot of references on ETS forums about these mini pry bars. I'm curious what the expected use would be in a survival situation?

A larger pry bar I can understand. I'm just not sure what is the utility of the really small ones? I seem to be missing something here.

#270259 - 06/03/14 10:19 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Quietly_Learning Offline

I once again thank the boys & girls of the forum for gear advice. I own a Leatherman tti which lives on my belt or in my bag. I also carry the bit kit with it. The bits & pliers get used all the time. I didn't realize there was a bit extender until this post. I just picked one up on ebay. Thanks for the info.

I don't edc it without my bike but a topeak alien 2 is mounted to my bike frame. I've used it to get myself and strangers out of trouble on numerous occasions.

Chaosmagnet, how do you like the style ps? I've looked at it at rei a couple of times. Considering the small size how useful are the pliers? Thanks for your input.

Per the op, tool-wise in addition to the edc items listed above is a gator grip socket. I've used it a number of times instead of pulling out my large socket set. It stays in my car edc though.

#270260 - 06/03/14 11:56 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
hamiamham Offline
Stranger

having a pry bar removes the temptation of using your knife for something that it was not intended for ...

#270261 - 06/04/14 12:01 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: Quietly_Learning]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
Chaosmagnet, how do you like the style ps? I've looked at it at rei a couple of times. Considering the small size how useful are the pliers? Thanks for your input.

The pliers work well, as well as any pliers that small could and better than some dedicated pliers I've used. The scissors and bottle opener both work quite well -- the bottle opener in particular is very easy to use. I like it. I gave my wife one.

I strongly prefer the PS4 when I'm not flying. It has more tools and the small blade is often quite useful.

#270262 - 06/04/14 02:23 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning

The pliers work well, as well as any pliers that small could and better than some dedicated pliers I've used. The scissors and bottle opener both work quite well -- the bottle opener in particular is very easy to use. I like it. I gave my wife one.

I strongly prefer the PS4 when I'm not flying. It has more tools and the small blade is often quite useful.

Thank you very much. I had a number of squirts I've left at the airport so I was thinking of the style. I'll definitely take your recommendations into account and decide if I can remember 2 remove a squirt or if I should get a style.
Thanks again.

#270263 - 06/04/14 02:30 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: Blast
Along with assorted Leathermans I like my little CountyComm 3" Widgy prybar.
http://www.countycomm.com/barfamily.html
-Blast
I see a lot of references on ETS forums about these mini pry bars. I'm curious what the expected use would be in a survival situation?A larger pry bar I can understand. I'm just not sure what is the utility of the really small ones? I seem to be missing something here.
I've used all of them (I carry all sizes, straight and curved in various kits) and they work. Screw in flat heads. Cut open boxes. Pry open wooden crates. Get general leverage on something that needs bending. I've used them to "pop" doors open when I've locked myself out on a number of occasions.
I'm sure they are useful for many small day to day tasks. There is no question that a large pry bar (or better yet a full on crow bar or a Halligan) would be usefull as a rescue tool in a disaster.

However, I question that the little 3 inch one would be that crucial in most survival situations? I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to be convinced.

#270264 - 06/04/14 12:36 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: AKSAR]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
However, I question that the little 3 inch one would be that crucial in most survival situations? I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Like any tool, it's appropriateness depends on the specific survival situation. However, on an ordinary, day-to-day basis I find it a very useful tool at work for dealing with the many gremlins that bedevil my lab and life.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#270265 - 06/04/14 02:00 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: yee]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Yee,

I am in a school and can't openly use a knife. The Style PS allows me to have a multi tool that I can use any time. I have a full size Leatherman in my briefcase if I really need it (as well as a tool kit in my lab) but the PS gets a lot of use.

If you don't need the bottle opener (the pliers work just fine for this if you only use it occasionally) you can remove the hook on a Style PS and shrink the size noticeably. The one I carry in my watch pocket is shortened this way. Does not affect the use appreciably and makes it easier to carry. If they don't make them in Pink yet, they should - my Daughter - in - Law would love it.

The PS pliers are as useful as they can be at this size and the scissors and file/screwdriver are fine.

I would like it if Leatherman would make a whole range of pliers without knives on them because I use a real one most of the time and don't like to carry the extra weight and deal with the security aspect.

AKSAR,

I carry a 3" or 4" Widgy prybar (depends on which keyring I am carrying) all the time. It is one of the 4 tools I EDC (LM Style PS, DR EGear light and knife). The rest of my toolkit is in some container (briefcase, ruck, car, etc.). I use the prybar so much that I wouldn't think about not having it. It saves broken knife blades all the time. I don't consider it a piece of gear for survival situations, but I expect I would use it just as often then.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#270266 - 06/04/14 02:04 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
On the prybar, I carry one of these:

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/tools-rep...ey1004385.bhtml

Tough, stiff, light, cheap enough to give away, many other uses.

I have used it to force locks, open boxes, open lift (elevator) doors once, align items, anything that needs levering in place of an expensive knife.

#270267 - 06/04/14 02:32 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: JerryFountain]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

The PS pliers are as useful as they can be at this size and the scissors and file/screwdriver are fine.

I carry a 3" or 4" Widgy prybar (depends on which keyring I am carrying) all the time.

Jerry

I have my daughters sold on the Style PS. Two are inbound. Surprisingly, they decided on black instead of the cuter red.

I like the idea of having a second leverage device for tightening bolts. Ideally the tool would have tools orthogonal to that which I already carry so I thought about something based on a pry bar with tools NOT found on the Leatherman.

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Pocket-Wren...CFShnOgod_GMAXA

It appears to be a knockoff (or the actual manufacturer) of the Pocketwrench. Interesting that it says USA when I am purchasing it from Guangzhou, China. In any case, it makes for a good stocking stuffer for my nephews. I've got a few inbound.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.