The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270245 - 06/03/14 12:08 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have been finding use for 4" vise grips that fit a pocket pretty well and go up to almost an inch. They seem more durable than two old leathermans I had. One I twisted the jaws of the pliers and the other dented the wire cutters. Plus the vise grips were cheaper at $5 on sale at Ace Hardware.

Edited by clearwater (06/03/14 12:09 AM)

#270246 - 06/03/14 02:20 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Along with assorted Leathermans I like my little CountyComm 3" Widgy prybar.
http://www.countycomm.com/barfamily.html
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#270248 - 06/03/14 06:21 AM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I like multitools but often a $4 hardware store pliers is preferable to the pliers on a $100 multitool.

#270249 - 06/03/14 12:48 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in the 50's when I was a Scout, I had a neighbor that was a retired machinist (merchant seaman)...at the time there was a pair of pliers available that had a straight blade screwdriver bit on one handle end and a blunt tapered shank on the other.. he would re profile the blunt end, and cut a Phillips style point with a triangular file...a multi tool ahead of it's time... I used it for many years on campouts.. unfortunately it disappeared over time

#270250 - 06/03/14 02:19 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
PS4 is on the key ring, and is always there, except when flying commercially. The Wave is almost...

OK, you've sold me. I already EDC a pocketknife and a Leatherman Core. A knife is too useful a tool to relegate to the multitool so I have little use for yet another knife.

I would prefer that my kids have something as well and current school regulations prohibit anything that is pointy.

Is there something on the market whose size is on the order of a PS4 but does NOT have a knife? I purchased a knifeless FUSE (which is no longer on the market) but it is a bit bigger. My son is OK with it but my daughters would prefer something smaller and cuter.

Edited by yee (06/03/14 02:21 PM)

#270251 - 06/03/14 02:57 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: yee]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Cuter... smile My niece was into anything pink so she received one of DR's pink mini-RSK's. It's a nice sharp despite its pinkness.

The only toolkit I have that qualifies as pocket carry is a Mission Wallet with an SAK Farmer and one of the older LM Squirt E4's (replaced by the Squirt ES4). The wire strippers are real and very functional. If you are into wires or prefer needle-nose pliers (I raise my hand here), the ES4 is a very good option. I watched my (at the time) boss struggling trying to clean up a multi-pin connector (while away from his toolbox) using ad hoc tools (pocketknife) and in a rare moment lent him the E4 from the Mission Wallet. What a difference a real wire stripper makes.

Maybe it's just me, but I the pliers on the PS4 don't do anything for me. They're just very small blunt pliers. The ES4 is a better option IMO. But that's just me...

The other kit that would qualify is the toolkit under the seat of my bike, but that's normally hanging from the rafters in the garage. It's very mission focused and not exactly available.

#270252 - 06/03/14 03:52 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: yee]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: yee
Is there something on the market whose size is on the order of a PS4 but does NOT have a knife? I purchased a knifeless FUSE (which is no longer on the market) but it is a bit bigger. My son is OK with it but my daughters would prefer something smaller and cuter.

The LM Style PS doesn't have a knife. I've taken it through TSA checkpoints many dozens of times. It's a bit longer than the PS4 though.

#270253 - 06/03/14 05:23 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
On my person I have a Leatherman Wingman. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't use it for something.

I also carry a SOG Flash II Tanto, but to be honest, I hardly use it. I love the knife, but the first thing I always end up grabbing is that Leatherman.

I also carry a WaterProof Butane Lighter. I just like the idea of being able to create a little flame anytime I need to.

My car kit is much more extensive. I don't keep a jump starter in the truck. You'll destroy them if you let them discharge, which they naturally do over time. I was told to top it off every 30 days. I know I just wouldn't remember anyway.

I have a 12v Portable inflator, a 12v Impact Wrench, Duct Tape, some Datrex Water, some Energy Bars, some of those LED Road Flares, some Chemical Light Sticks, flashlight, Jumper Cables, First Aid kit etc...

I have more gear in my EDC Backpack that I take to work and pretty much everywhere else. Flashlight, Multi-Bit Screwdriver (which gets borrowed at least once a week at work), a small LED flashlight, First Aid Kit, Sanitizing spray and some other goodies..

#270255 - 06/03/14 07:26 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: RNewcomb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I don't keep a jump starter in the truck. You'll destroy them if you let them discharge, which they naturally do over time.

Absolutely right. I have a Monthly Battery Charge Day for the jumpstarters, the ham radio HTs, the USB batteries, and rechargeable cells. If you don't have a routine for it they will be destroyed.

#270256 - 06/03/14 08:10 PM Re: Portable, versatile toolkit [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This is prompted by an incident yesterday. I was approached by a woman seeking assistance for a broken bicycle chain. I immediately offered my Wave. "What kind of a guy carries pliers around all the time?" she uttered in disbelief.
In Alaska you are almost in a minority if you don't carry a Leatherman. smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.