Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270091 - 05/23/14 12:51 PM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: Omega]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...Since many survival situations start once you become seriously injured, I consider an option that I might be seriously injured and have to rely on external urgent help while trying to stay alive. That’s why it is communication, medical kit and shelter. ...

Many situations also start with someone becoming lost. Make sure your kit includes navigation. Staying found is big and if it turns into an E&E you really want to where you're going.

Edit:
After some thought, either of the Garmin Foretrex GPS receivers or the newer fenix™ GPS, all wrist-worn would work. I kinda like the fenix™ because it looks more like a standard digital watch. Unfortunately, the downside is that Foretrex units require batteries and the fenix™ requires a source to recharge.

#270113 - 05/25/14 04:21 PM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: Omega]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you want universal and light, you want knowledge and skill; they are more important than the widget-of-the-month.

#270114 - 05/25/14 07:26 PM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you want universal and light, you want knowledge and skill; they are more important than the widget-of-the-month.

Absolutely.

After that, focus first on things that are hard to improvise. My top three are a knife, ways to make a fire and a flashlight for the wilderness. For urban/suburban areas it's cash, a phone and transportation. Depending on your level of training, the laws where you will be, and the relative safety of the area, you might consider self-defense options.

Another way to look at it revolves around the rule of threes: You can survive three minutes without air, three hours without shelter, three days without water, and three weeks without food. The rule is hardly absolute but it gives you a framework for setting priorities.

#270124 - 05/27/14 11:05 AM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: Russ]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Russ

Many situations also start with someone becoming lost. Make sure your kit includes navigation. Staying found is big and if it turns into an E&E you really want to where you're going.

Yes, I agree with this, mobile phone has GPS. I think some satellite phones have GPS too.

#270125 - 05/27/14 11:25 AM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: chaosmagnet]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Another way to look at it revolves around the rule of threes: You can survive three minutes without air, three hours without shelter, three days without water, and three weeks without food. The rule is hardly absolute but it gives you a framework for setting priorities.

Yes, this is what I used:
Air - can be caused either by an injury (most likely) or a dangerous chemical gas (less likely unless it is smoke). Two options – get help or get out. Get help – signalling, get out – navigation and tools to make sure obstacles can be dealt with. I suspect that if you are injured, you will be lucky to press a button of a beacon or, if there are people around you, they can use your kit to provide first aid and call for help
Shelter – layering, but it needs to be compact
Water - it is heavy and there is little to improvise, you either need to carry it with yourself, or have a filter. If situation presses hard, then I will drink as clean water as I can get and then spend time in a hospital.
Food – I tried to check survival statistics about starvation and could not find it. I suspect that it is not that frequent in non-conflict areas. So, I feel snares, fishing kit etc are good for keeping you busy and additional building material, but that’s about it.
I am not discussing weapons because there is a higher chance police will stop and search me in any country I visit than actually end up in a situation when it becomes essential.

#270129 - 05/27/14 06:52 PM Re: Generic/universal core kit - advice on items [Re: Omega]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Whatever else you decide on do the five 'C''s first.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.