The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270128 - 05/27/14 05:33 PM Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
just a reminder...good time to change out the stored water and make sure all the propane tanks are filled after Memorial Day...

Martin Focazio.... thank you for your suggestion of a weather hazards radio from Reecom... I have the R1630 (without AM/FM) in addition to the Midland w300...I like that it has the audio alert after the warning

#270132 - 05/28/14 12:07 AM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

the die hard survival types don't seem to endorse the AquaTainer or Coleman jugs, but the two on the right are at least 10years old...they sit quietly out of the way...I augmented them with a couple of the Scepter water cans this year...I do have a Sawyer 5gal .1 micron filter and on site shallow well if needed...if I would start over, I think I'd use the 5 gal blue carboys from water coolers

#270134 - 05/28/14 01:50 AM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: LesSnyder]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a couple of the aquatainer jugs. They have a standard pipe thread in the cap so I've bought normal valves from hardware stores to put in them. You can get them for $7.99 at sporting good stores instead of the $10 WalMart charges.

#270135 - 05/28/14 05:14 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: Eugene]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I have 1 aquatainer, 2 scepter cans, and about 8 pallets of water (the 16 oz size). Along with that, several Mio-type water flavorings. If you've never lived off water only for a prolonged period of time, it gets bland quickly. A couple of backpacking water filters, but nothing to get the chemicals out.

Does any one have good reasons to have spare propane tank, other than a BBQ? I don't have a generator (pending me being a cheap-a$$), so no need for that reason. I'd like a second but really can't justify it ... suggestions?

Edited by MDinana (05/28/14 05:50 PM)

#270137 - 05/28/14 06:51 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: MDinana]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I have 1 aquatainer, 2 scepter cans, and about 8 pallets of water (the 16 oz size). Along with that, several Mio-type water flavorings. If you've never lived off water only for a prolonged period of time, it gets bland quickly. A couple of backpacking water filters, but nothing to get the chemicals out.

Does any one have good reasons to have spare propane tank, other than a BBQ? I don't have a generator (pending me being a cheap-a$$), so no need for that reason. I'd like a second but really can't justify it ... suggestions?

I haven't had much luck finding the mio type that are not sugar free (i.e. contain substitute). I've been able to stock Gatorade packets and Country Time lemonade.

#270138 - 05/28/14 06:54 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: MDinana]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Camp stoves, i.e. Weber and Coleman gas ranges, can hook up to a conventional 32lb propane tank with adaptors. The ability to cook allows you to store dry bulk goods like pasta and rice. And, a hot meal beats cold trail mix any day of the week. Just be sure to check ventilation when you fire it up.

I have an old Campingaz Bluet with 5 days worth of fuel in my kit. Campingaz no longer distributes to the US, so the stove is only good for one or two emergency uses unless I want to drop $15-$30 for replacement cartridges.

Also, as an FYI, this season is shaping up to be a rough one...
http://news.msn.com/us/hurricane-amanda-just-set-an-ominous-new-record-1

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270148 - 05/29/14 02:48 AM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

MDinana...I would think you could justify at least a second bulk propane tank, just to insure that you had a full one at all times...I've acquired a total of three...I switched from Coleman fuel to propane probably a decade earlier than the 04 season, where I was without power for a little over 9 days...I have an adapter to re fill the 1# bottles used to power a small tailgate grill that works well for a single guy, and eliminates a lot of the need for heating water to clean pots and pans... the two burner camp stove was primarily for heating water to shave and shower...the fish cooker is a good way for me and the neighbors to heat up canned goods without a dirtying a pot... just lower them into the heated water in the shorter fish pan... I prefer Dietz style kerosene lamps for light, as it is hot enough without running a mantle lamp... I do have a Coleman/unleaded gas single burner just for back up...

I've re evaluated the use of a 3500w generator and transfer switch installed in the non attached garage...I really don't store that much value in frozen meats.. I can fill my 7 day cooler with the frozen left overs in my refrigerator freezer... I do need to invest in a freezer alarm for the chest freezer..
with a way to power my ceiling fan with a battery powered motor, most of my comfort issues have been addressed

Edited by LesSnyder (05/29/14 02:54 AM)

#270156 - 05/29/14 01:40 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I get Nuun tablets from REI - no sugar, several nice flavorings, and lightly carbonated, although old desert rat that I am, "bland" water is just fine - any water at all is just fine when one is really, really thirsty.

#270165 - 05/29/14 07:55 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: LesSnyder]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Thanks all for the replies. I forgot about those Coleman grills, but I always thought they were isobutane or something. I already have 2 camping stoves (an MSR and a Whisperlite), so maybe I'm biased towards that fuel.

I'll look into the Coleman 2 burner. Have lots of fond memories with them and my parents growing up ... would love to pass them to my kids.

Now to price the adaptors out.

is this what I'd need to run a regular propane tank for a Coleman grill?
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000005062...B7M8FJMVX7QV9K2

For this grill (or should I go with the standard, 10K BTU/burner grill?)
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Triton-Ser...n+propane+stove

Edited by MDinana (05/29/14 08:05 PM)

#270170 - 05/29/14 11:31 PM Re: Atlantic Hurricane Season starts Sunday 1 June [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

the hose adapter will screw right into the 1# bottle socket... do you have any propane appliances that need the 1# bottle?... if so, an adapter to fill the 1# bottles might be a better option... if you are looking just for emergency cooking, and price is not that much an issue, a multi fuel stove like this

http://www.coleman.com/Product/3000000788#.U4e-ublOUqQ

in addition to a propane adapter, gives you a lot of options

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Regulated-...propane+adapter

1# bottle adapter.. works best if you can freeze the bottles, and invert the source cylinder

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Enerco-Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter/21799898?action

Edited by LesSnyder (05/29/14 11:36 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.