Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#270033 - 05/19/14 05:41 AM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Eugene]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: Tjin

more to maintain it and in tight spots a small car is a lot more handier.

I've found frame based trucks / suv's cost less to maintain so the higher fuel cost evens out.

When it comes to big repairs, I'll agree that traditional truck based platforms are generally more robust and require fewer big repairs then sedans. But, the routine maintenance cost is still quite a bit higher as they wear consumable part (e.g. brake pads) out at a faster rate. My little Corolla 5 speed took 8 years to wear through a single sets of pads. My roommate's Explorer Sport took less then half that.

As far as cargo capacity, there's no argument that a pickup is better in most situations. But, a compact 5 door or crossover can still hold a fairly impressive amount of cargo without taking a hit on fuel economy or turning circle. It's more of a matter of "big enough" instead of "biggest practical".

For most passenger cars, it's going to be very hard to overload the "standard" 150 lb rated tongue weight without carrying tools or motorcycles back there. No comment on roof racks.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270035 - 05/19/14 12:02 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

See, I found the opposite. Every vehicle I've tried until I went back to a truck needed new brakes once a year due to the WV mountains and had to have alignments and suspension repairs more often, try driving a minivan/cuv through those mountains and you'll quickly find out how high maintenance costs can get smile

150lbs is not much, remember that tow bar weight will subtract from the overall cargo capacity and actually be more since you have to account for the leverage due to the distance behind the real wheels. A couple jugs of water, box of food, and BOBs will hit the max cargo capacity of your average car pretty quick.

#270042 - 05/19/14 06:45 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Eugene]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Eugene
See, I found the opposite. Every vehicle I've tried until I went back to a truck needed new brakes once a year due to the WV mountains and had to have alignments and suspension repairs more often, try driving a minivan/cuv through those mountains and you'll quickly find out how high maintenance costs can get smile

OK, that's where our differing opinions come from. My point of reference is urban SoCal, not the Appalacian Mountains. I understand that the WV mountains are like Banner Grade out here (steep and twisty), and not the relatively flat and straight stop and go pattern of urban driving. The wear patterns are going to be completely different.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270049 - 05/20/14 07:06 AM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

My experience is also mainly urban and highway. Even the mountain roads I sometimes ride are generally very well paved.

Except for regular maintenance (oils, filters, tires, belts), I think the only that was replaced are the rear shocks after 11 years. I can't even remember replacing the brake pads (still plenty left). Regular maintenance is also cheap if you car only take 3.3 liters of engine oil and have massive 14inch rims.

#270052 - 05/21/14 03:03 AM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
. . . I understand that the WV mountains are like Banner Grade out here (steep and twisty), and not the relatively flat and straight stop and go pattern of urban driving. The wear patterns are going to be completely different.

There is at least one stretch of road in eastern KY / western WV that has a sign "GOV. MAINTENANCE ENDS". I don't remember if it was county or state. It went from decent back mountain road to patches of intact pavement. I've been on unpaved Forest Service fire roads in better condition.

#270053 - 05/21/14 03:34 AM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have empties ( boxes) ready to go and much gear packed in big duffles...with attached labels to identify contents. ( bedding, clothes, etc.)

#270055 - 05/21/14 01:10 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: UTAlumnus]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
. . . I understand that the WV mountains are like Banner Grade out here (steep and twisty), and not the relatively flat and straight stop and go pattern of urban driving. The wear patterns are going to be completely different.

There is at least one stretch of road in eastern KY / western WV that has a sign "GOV. MAINTENANCE ENDS". I don't remember if it was county or state. It went from decent back mountain road to patches of intact pavement. I've been on unpaved Forest Service fire roads in better condition.

I have seen a couple of (unofficial) signs in WV with wording such as "RIP WV DOT" smile

Even good roads sometimes can have issues. Driving I71 between Columbus OH and Cincinnati OH my wife was awakened and yelled at me because we were sideways in the middle of the highway. There was a hole that was deep enough to toss the whole truck in the air and turn it sideways requiring me to quickly correct to get back straight. Those are the kind that a lot of vehicles need alignments afterward. Wife hit a hole last winter that broke a swap bar link bolt.

#270056 - 05/21/14 01:14 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I have empties ( boxes) ready to go and much gear packed in big duffles...with attached labels to identify contents. ( bedding, clothes, etc.)

Something I started a few years ago was basically organize everything. Any gear, tool, toy, whatever has to have some sort of box/bag/storage case/whatever. I did this in part to help be more organized and be able to find things, and in part because we knew we were going to have to move so having everything always in its container made it easier to move. That works well because I can just decide what containers would need to go should we need to evac, almost no little packing is needed.

#270060 - 05/21/14 08:20 PM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I have empties ( boxes) ready to go

I just purchased several heavy duty cardboard boxes, duct tape, and bubble wrap. Everthing is stored in tubs or in plastic.

I don;t have a lot of stuff presorted, but rely on an evacuation plan divided into tiers so we know what we're taking first, second, and last and where it is.

#270069 - 05/22/14 03:00 AM Re: Dedicated evacuation packing boxes [Re: Mark_R]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
For what it is worth: I would lean towards the boxes egg cartons come in. They are basically 1'x1'x2'. Easy to carry/manage. I used them when I moved. It made loading and unloading quick and easy. However, I think that plastic containers in that size may be more durable, yet more expensive - $$ vs. free.

YMMV

My $.02

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 188 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.