The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269915 - 05/14/14 04:46 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Every time I saw a video on the local news showing firefighters in full gear fighting this fire and looked at the temperature in the upper 90's F -- wow, serious temps and hotter near the flames. If they can stop flare ups today we should be in good shape.

BTW, first notification we received on this came via a reverse 9-1-1 call from SDPD. First time we received a reverse call from LE.

#269919 - 05/14/14 07:23 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Russ, I'm a couple of miles upwind of you. I got some smoke last night when the onshore flow pushed it east. But, during the day, this blast furnace of a Santa Ana is pushing everything west.

I heard that the evacuation order for 4S and surrounding areas was lifted today.

Live updates:
http://www.cbs8.com/#WNPoll139127
I've watching this like a hawk since I'm sandwiched between greenspaces. If one or the other ignites, I'm gone.

During the 07 wildfires, I got the evacuation order via reverse 911 as well. I think there was a bit of delay as the rest of the apartment complex had alread packed up several hours before I got the call.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269926 - 05/14/14 09:03 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Looks like this one is over for me, but now there is a fire at Pendleton and another at Carlsbad. Lots of fuel out there...

This was a good drill for me, next time the stuff will be a bit better organized so I can pack quicker. Based on past experience we've normally had days to pack and get ready because the fires started well to the East. These fires are starting in the interstitial wilderness of suburbia and structures are immediately threatened.

107 degrees F in the backyard.

#269928 - 05/14/14 09:48 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Park your car thinking everything is good and before noon your car's paint is melting/bubbling -- So did he drive away or abandon the car? How were the tires?

#269929 - 05/14/14 09:56 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Russ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Fire Condition Guide?

FireCon 5: set when wildfire conditions (winds, drought, seasonal) exist.

FireCon 4: set when a wildfire has started within 100 miles upwind of your present location.

FireCon 3: set when a wildfire has started within 50 miles upwind of your present location.
A. Top off fuel tanks
B. Plan your escape route(s)
C. Know where everyone in the family is.

FireCon 2: set when a wildfire has started within 25 miles upwind of your present location.
A. Load vehicles.
B. Have all family members come home.
C.

FireCon 1: set when an evacuation has been ordered for your present location.
A. Load family members into vehicles.
B. Depart via best evacuation route chosen.
C.

Here's a framework based on zero Wildfire experience. Perhaps it can be modified to reflect reality by those who are experienced with living in areas prone to wildfires.

Edited by wildman800 (05/14/14 09:57 PM)

#269937 - 05/14/14 10:55 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: wildman800]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

FireCon 5: set when wildfire risk is high (high winds, high temp, dry fuel).
A. Top off fuel tanks, check fluid levels, belts, and spare tire pressure

FireCon 4: set when a wildfire risk is high and has started within 100 miles upwind of your present location.
same as Firecon 5

FireCon 3: set when a wildfire risk is high and has started within 50 miles upwind of your present location.
B. Check evacuation plan.
C. Know where everyone in the family is.

FireCon 2: set when a wildfire has started within 25 miles upwind of your present location.
B. Check evacuation plan.
C. Assemble/notify family of imminent evacuation.
E. Assemble items for evacuation. Do not put items in car due to theft risk.
F. Contact friends/family where you intend to bug out to.

FireCon 1: set when an evacuation has been ordered for your present location.
A. Load cars
B. Leave

Edited by Mark_R (05/14/14 11:05 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269938 - 05/14/14 11:57 PM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I load the truck Cond 3, but I keep it in an attached garage. I leave it packed until we're back in Cond 5. The way these fires are popping up close-in puts me in Cond 2 until the Santa Ana dies down and it cools a bit.. Should be back closer to normal by Friday.

These fires (plural) caught everyone a bit off guard. Peeps making preps for fire season and suddenly it is fire season. This is going to be a long summer...

#269940 - 05/15/14 01:55 AM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

News conference -- peeps talking all these fires popping up separately is very suspicious but the weather is also very hot, very dry with wind (Santa Ana conditions) ... basically it could be nature or it could be arson ... peeps dancing around the A word but the guy talking now just said could be arson but the investigation is not anywhere near complete.

More air assets inbound: two are military, FEMA released $$ for one of the big tankers. Resource management among the different agencies involved is huge and they all seem to be working together. Nice to see.

#269947 - 05/15/14 05:18 AM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thank you for building/filling this out with reality. Anybody else have input to a FireCon Checklist?

#269949 - 05/15/14 05:42 AM Re: Wild Fire in San Diego [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
News conference -- peeps talking all these fires popping up separately is very suspicious but the weather is also very hot, very dry with wind (Santa Ana conditions) ... basically it could be nature or it could be arson ... peeps dancing around the A word but the guy talking now just said could be arson but the investigation is not anywhere near complete.

More air assets inbound: two are military, FEMA released $$ for one of the big tankers. Resource management among the different agencies involved is huge and they all seem to be working together. Nice to see.

I was thinking along the same lines. 8 fires with 5 of them within a few hours makes me think there is a firebug running around. I'm going to avoid news about this till the investigation is more complete. The early reports are inaccurate m0re often as not.

Big 747 is what I heard. I'll keep an eye out for that one. It'll probably be working the fire out on I-8 or the Carlsbad one

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.