Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#269841 - 05/12/14 11:32 AM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: Teslinhiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I think there is a big difference between hiking through the dark on an established trail vs doing actual land navigation in the dark.
When we do long day mountain ascents in the fall and early spring, it is not uncommon to set out in the early dark am on an established trail. However we are typically equipped with the proper lighting gear which includes headlamps and handheld flashlights when needed.

On the other hand, land navigation at night and not on any trail is not something I do as there are far too many chances of getting injured or worse.
Agreed. In scouts we attempted to summit Mt Whitney on an "overnight" hike to try and watch the sunrise from the summit (We didn't make it, btw).

But, it was a well marked trail, about 24-ish miles round trip. Once above the tree line, with a full moon, the place was BRIGHT. As in, we had shadows. The moon off the granite mountains was incredible. Anyway, easy trail to follow.

Land nav, eg military at night, I've never tried. Those I know that have, say they can only get a few miles in (and these are guys trying out for Special Forces billets).

#269842 - 05/12/14 12:55 PM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: hikermor]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Excellent point.

#269849 - 05/12/14 05:39 PM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: MDinana]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have done some long distances at night, across country and using a map and compass (before GPS). Most of this was after being on a Special Forces team. I have done as much as 20 miles in one period of darkness. It is possible, but it does take practice.

Doing night navigation training is useful in that it forces the individual to plan better and practice the fundamentals without relying on daytime vision. Night land nav will show a person's problems with fundamentals very quickly.

#269850 - 05/12/14 06:33 PM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: benjammin]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: benjammin
One of our little informal training exercises with the Oregon Grotto was to climb in a select lava tube cave a couple miles, then kill the lights and try to find our way out. It is almost impossible not to lose your nerve and start flinching after bumping your head a dozen times. Such a complete absence of light does enhance your hearing, in unsettling ways until you get used to it. Climbing over the breakdown was a real pain.

It was a good exercise. But not for the faint hearted. 2 miles underground in the dark took the better part of 6 hours, and that in a cave we were already familiar with. In big chambers, it is dangerously easy to get completely turned around, and start back down the way you came.

Oregon State Hospital used that exercise as part of a way to weed out soon-to-be-released sex offenders. If they couldn't control their anger and fear, they weren't ready for release. I don't believe they used caves with breakdown tho, just the sandy bottom ones.

#269851 - 05/12/14 06:44 PM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Before GPS, did lots of night hiking in Eastern Oregon with groups in the Steens and Hart Mountain. High desert open terrain with river bottoms, cliffs, stars and distant ranch lights for landmarks. Very rocky terrain, but even without flashlights and carrying heavy packs, everyone soon learned to feel their way with their feet. We used flashlights to look at the map and compass. It was cold weather so we didn't worry about snakes.

One night hike in Joshua Tree National Monument convinced me that there are too many snakes to be doing that without lights there when it is warm.

#269858 - 05/12/14 11:51 PM Re: Land Navigation in Darkness [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
A few years ago, with a full moon after a nice rain a guide and a couple of us floated the Kings River in northwest Arkansas AT NIGHT. We floated 8 miles down the twisting, rapids-filled river. Was amazing how we'll we could navigate by sound and with darkness adjusted eyes.

I WOULD NOT attempt it without a full moon and someone who knows the river.

It was an awesome float.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.