Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269801 - 05/10/14 06:47 PM Monocular suggestions?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Seems useful and packable. Do you have one? Is it useful?

#269802 - 05/10/14 07:01 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Barr and Stroud Sprite 8x25 Mini Monocular

BAK4 glass, lightweight, multicoated optics and not very expensive.

Not as clear or bright as the Olympus 8x25 PC I Binoculars (they have exceptional optics for the £40 I paid for them), but these bino's aren't waterproof or as lightweight.

#269806 - 05/10/14 09:19 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I suppose a monocular might be useful in a few specific situations, where size and weight is critical. However, for the majority of situations you are much better off with a good binocular.

In optics, you almost invariably "get what you pay for". I've found a good compromise between decent optical quality, robust construction, and a price I can afford is the Steiner Military/Marine 8/30 binoculars. I've carried a pair for years through my Alaskan adventures, and really like them. Good optics, rubber armor, waterproof, large exit pupil, roll down eyecups for use with glasses, and reasonably light weight.

#269809 - 05/10/14 09:49 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As AKSAR states, binos are better, but when your space and weight is very limited a monocular does work. You can't go wrong with Steiners.

I have used them a good bit tactically, and I used them as much at close range as I did for distance. Mostly looking for signs of IEDs and boobytraps. It can be useful in tracking as well.

I do not remember the brand, and I can't seem to find them now, but I once used a telescoping monocular that was rubber coated and could work at close range. It was very nice.

I generally carry Steiner Predators now. Small and fairly light, but durable and sufficient for what I need.

#269818 - 05/11/14 05:16 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I just can't buy binoculars or monoculars based on a suggestion. Everybody sees things differently. I was at a sports store testing binoculars. I found some inexpensive Humvee 20x50 binoculars on sale for $20 (regular $40 or so). I couldn't believe it when I was testing them out. I thought I was doing something wrongly, but the salesperson just said everybody's eyes are different. Since then, I only buy binoculars, monocular, ski goggles, and other eye gear after I've tested it out in person.

By the way, on that day I bought those inexpensive binoculars, my original intent was to buy a monocular. I was less than pleased with the performance of any monocular on display. Using binoculars is a much more enjoyable experience. I'd rather lug around binoculars or nothing, rather than a monocular.

#269824 - 05/11/14 02:21 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Never seen a use for a Monocular for hiking or ETS use. Instead, for GP hiking, I carry Bushnell 7x21 binoculars. Not the best quality but they are cheap, lightweight and compact and I do not have worry about expensive replacement if they get damaged or lost.

If I am out hunting, then I will carry a better quality and bigger binocular. And for very long distance viewing, a spotting scope.

John Lubbock

#269845 - 05/12/14 04:31 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I have two. My first is an Opticron Gallery Scope, 8x20, and the second is a Zeiss 6x18. The Opticon makes the Zeiss look like a toy, because it's more solidly built, of metal, and has a screw focussing action and lens caps. The Zeiss is plastic and the tubes just slide past each other with no screw, and no lens caps, just a pouch. However, the Zeiss is better optically, gives a brighter image, and being much lighter is easier to carry. It's also a lot more expensive. The Zeiss is the one I'd recommend.

Both are close-focussing, meaning they can focus down to a foot away. For me that's one of the major benefits over binoculars. For example, you can use them to inspect insects or flowers. The "Gallery" scope is so-called because it is intended for looking at museum exhibits. The relatively low magnification is usually enough, and helps with stability, and is a worthy trade-off to get the brighter image with lighter weight.

There other benefit over binoculars is their light weight and small size. The Zeiss weighs about 100g or 3oz. That makes it practical to carry everywhere. I also have some binoculars and a DSLR camera, and it isn't practical for me to carry the DSLR (and lenses!) and the bins. In practice the binoculars get left behind. Nowadays they don't even get packed in my suitcase when going on holiday. (They are image-stablised, which makes them great to use, but adds to the weight.)

That said, although I like to keep the Zeiss within reach, in practice it's not very often I actually use them day to day.

#269859 - 05/12/14 11:58 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Brangdon]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
I have one of these: Little Mak

10 x 30. Magnification of 10x seems useful but I often have a difficult time holding it steady enough to clearly see what I am looking at, thereby loosing the advantage of higher magnification. 8x might be a better magnification. I am not an optics expert but it seems to have quite good image quality for it's price. It is relatively large diameter so it provides a fairly bright image.

It is also light weight. When I bought mine I believe the price was around $20 so I didn't worry about taking into rough or dirty conditions. It seems to no longer be available so I am a bit more careful with it. Is a shame. It gives a lot of image for the price.

One reason I like monoculars is that every time I use my binoculars, the two sides are not in focus together. It takes a little extra time to re-adjust it. For day hiking I like the light weight and smaller volume of the monocular. My Nikon binoculars overall have a better image quality but are significantly heavier and larger.

#269914 - 05/14/14 04:35 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have carried a monocular for years. Don't remember the brand and it is not nearby at the moment. I use it a lot. It is 10x. To help stability, pick up a rock. The added weight dampens small shakes.

For long term use, as in watching an animal, I rest it (or sometimes tie it) to my walking stick. Much easier to keep on target. Also, sometimes I grab onto the brim of my hat and use that to stabilize the monocular. Especially handy trick when scanning an area.

Close focus is very useful for studying plants and animals.

I consider it a must have item.

Nomad.

#269942 - 05/15/14 02:29 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

A couple more stability tricks:

Tie a rock or other heavy-ish object to a string, so it hangs most of the way to the ground. It helps absorb vibration, and the long radius slows wobble. A long stick works (like a short monopod), but is more bulk.

Another string trick is to use a heavier string, such as paracord or other thick twine, and let it trail much longer from the monocular (in this case, at least -- people use both of these with binoculars and cameras). The string MUST trail on the ground. Step on the string, and pull it tight, upwards with the monocular, while viewing. This isn't so great for tracking from a higher to a lower field of view or object, however, as there's not a great way to keep taking up slack.

#269951 - 05/15/14 09:05 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland

#270038 - 05/19/14 03:09 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: ireckon]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I found some inexpensive Humvee 20x50 binoculars on sale for $20 (regular $40 or so). I couldn't believe it when I was testing them out. I thought I was doing something wrongly.

What couldn't you believe?

20x50 binoculars are difficult and expensive to engineer for satisfactory performance and a Tripod will still be required for even the high end 20x50s and will still even need to be used in good lighting conditions. Cheap 20x50s, well I suspect you will see a lot lot more using these. (sorry for the recommendation). The field of view will be very restricted, low light dusk and dawn conditions will be effectively useless and focusing quite difficult let alone distortion, aberration, focal range and colour definition by comparison.

#270040 - 05/19/14 04:22 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Even 20x50's with good glass are difficult to use. 20x is difficult to handhold for a steady view and 50/20 = 2.5mm for an exit pupil, not a lot of light. Many years ago when I had a need for a big lens, I picked up a set of 15x80 binoculars. It came with a tripod mount to hold it steady and the 5mm exit pupil was much brighter than even the best 20x50 binoc's. The difference of course was $$ -- those 15x80's came with a serious price-tag. Magnifying power is a good selling point, but power doesn't mean much if the image is bouncing around or is too dim to make out detail.

I have two pair of 8x30's (Nikon & Steiner) and they work well in bright sun; these days with eyes that have many more years on them, my daytime binoculars are 7x35 Nikons (5mm exit pupil) which work dawn-dusk. For the time between dusk and dawn you need to be looking for a 7mm exit pupil which is the most your eye can use, 7x50 binoculars with good glass are the standard.

Back to the subject of monoculars -- the monoculars small enough to drop in your pocket will generally have small objectives lenses and that makes for a dim image -- 8x20, 8x25. I suppose those are okay for daylight spotting, the objective being to identify a landmark for navigation and such. Birdwatching or other extended viewing, needs better glass and needs to provide a steady, bright image. I don't see that happening with a small pocket monocular.
$.02, ymmv

#270045 - 05/19/14 07:25 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
I found some inexpensive Humvee 20x50 binoculars on sale for $20 (regular $40 or so). I couldn't believe it when I was testing them out. I thought I was doing something wrongly.

What couldn't you believe?

20x50 binoculars are difficult and expensive to engineer for satisfactory performance and a Tripod will still be required for even the high end 20x50s and will still even need to be used in good lighting conditions. Cheap 20x50s, well I suspect you will see a lot lot more using these. (sorry for the recommendation). The field of view will be very restricted, low light dusk and dawn conditions will be effectively useless and focusing quite difficult let alone distortion, aberration, focal range and colour definition by comparison.

I didn't communicate well... The inexpensive 20x50 binoculars I tested were one of the clearest and most enjoyable binoculars in the store. I bought them. They're barely shaky, and I can focus them to crystal clearness. I just tested them again a second ago to make sure I'm not imagining things.

People's recommendations have not lined up with what I've testing. Maybe it's my eyes or something else with me. So be it.

Field of view is one thing lacking in my inexpensive binoculars. However, given a choice, I prefer more magnification over more field of view. Another thing is that they're only for long distance viewing (which is OK for me). I cannot focus on anything that is less than 10 feet away, but anything above that is doable. I'm not sure if that's standard for all binoculars.

#270054 - 05/21/14 04:08 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I was in Cabelas this evening. Tried a 5x monocular. Startlingly clear, bright and sharp image. About 3/4" x 5". Only problem was the price. $175.00.

#270057 - 05/21/14 03:29 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Nomad]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Nomad
I was in Cabelas this evening. Tried a 5x monocular. Startlingly clear, bright and sharp image. About 3/4" x 5". Only problem was the price. $175.00.
It has been my experience that in optics, one nearly always gets what one pays for. Ireckon's remarkable experience being an exception to that rule.

One question to ask, is how good of optics do you need? I like to be able to observe the Alaska wildlife that I see when out hiking and whatnot. As I noted above, for me Steiner 8X30 Military/Marine binos are a good compromise between quality and price I can afford. They are more than adequate for watching bears from a safe distance. I bought them for about $250 or so.

Others may have different needs. An old friend of mine is a very serious birder, serious enough to have been president of a large east coast birding group. He uses Swarovski binoculars that cost several thousand dollars. They are indeed somewhat sharper and brighter than my Steiners. For him the extra edge the Swarovskis provide is worth the extra money. For me not so much.

Others will choose a different point on the price vs quality spectrum. It all depends on what you need and what you can afford.

#270058 - 05/21/14 05:38 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well, the store where I tested did not have any binoculars that were priced at $300 or more, and my inexpensive binoculars were not the best, just one of the best. They are good enough such that spending a lot more did not make sense. I just want binoculars for the back of my truck so that I can occasionally have a better view of something on the mountain. Last year, I used my binoculars only about 3 times, and I was quite satisfied with the experience each time.

Back to the original topic, I've had trouble finding monoculars or small binoculars that I like. I know for somebody who's in the market for monoculars, it's senseless to make the leap to nice, big binoculars. If I test any of the smaller binoculars mentioned in this thread, I'll report back.

#270059 - 05/21/14 05:40 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

My initial thought was to bring up the issue of Relative Brightness, but then I read the article at Optics Planet on the topic of "Twilight factor and Relative Brightness". It seems to back up AKSAR's post above quite well.

#270066 - 05/22/14 01:31 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

The 7mm fully dilated pupil (night vision eye capability) isn't achievable by everyone and will get smaller with age. It may be preferable to have a number of different sets of binoculars for use for different circumstances rather than have a very expensive single set trying to cover everything.

I have a pair of Bresser 8x56s (Meade of Germany). They are heavy @ 1.1Kg and quite bulky, have quite a narrow field of view @ 101m/1000m, but they are exceptional for low light conditions with that 7mm exit pupil and the light gathering 56mm objective lenses. They cost me around $75 from a discount store called Lidls. They will for example beat even Nikon Monarchs 8x42s in low light conditions.

Bresser 8x56s identical to these.

A more portable set of binoculars might well be these BARSKA Naturescape 8X42 Waterproof Binoculars. I have found these to be excellent general purpose use binoculars. Again considering the cost these are a bargain @ the price shown. Weight is 600 grams.

I have also found these Olympus 8x25 PCI Binoculars to be excellent considering the weight and cost (paid around $60 for them). In terms of performance/weight @225 grams/price ratio a candidate for the BOB.

Looking at the prices being paid online for some very credible high performance optics, overall there are some very good price deals around especially for the lower magnification/wider exit pupil binoculars (hence low light use at dawn/dusk). Why are a set of 16x50 Nikon Aculons considerably more pricey than a set of 7x50 Nikon Aculons is a bit of a mystery to me. i.e. Current Amazon.com prices;

Nikon 8247 ACULON A211 7 x 50 Binocular (Black) - $87
Nikon 8250 ACULON A211 16 x 50 Binocular (Black) - $136

Does the purchasing public think magnification is the be end all to purchasing binoculars?

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/22/14 12:05 PM)

#270067 - 05/22/14 02:33 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Magnification does seem to be a big selling point, but in my old age I've begun to value other attributes. My current go-to binocular are Nikon Action Ex 7x35 --- really good (not Swarovski great, just really good) optics in a lightweight rubber armored polycarbonate body. Easy on the eyes, they work for me.

No affiliation w/ Nikon or Opticsplanet.

#270073 - 05/22/14 02:50 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The 7mm exit pupil is not just for night vision (although it is the best choice for night). When the eye is not able to stay in the exit pupil the optics are nearly useless. This often happens in unstable conditions (i.e. on a boat or in an aircraft). The 7x50 has been a first choice in the marine world because it is easy to see when everything is in motion. It also works well at night. This is one of the problems with the small devices, they have a small exit pupil and are hard to hold steady.

I spend lots of time using binoculars, so I tend to buy higher end ones. The Steiners are a great choice for quality at a reasonable price. I have also found that the Leupold Green Ring binoculars provide excellent quality to price ratio as well. I have purchased 2 pair of the 6x30 and am very happy with them. They are not my Leitz's but are still great. They are particularly good for those with narrow interpupillary distance. One of the reasons I bought them. Work well for women and children with narrow faces. They use a synthetic body and are large enough to hold well but light. Roof prisms give you smaller size, but loose optical quality at any price point.

My pocket carry pair is an older set of Leitz (now Leica) 8x20 Trinovids. Excellent optics, rugged and easy to use. Only twice as large as small monoculars (my favorite is the Monovid - half of the Leica Ultravid 8x20). The 8x32 and 8x42 are good compromises for ease of carry and optical capability. My favorite non carry (mostly used at sea) binocular is the 7x50 Elcan (Leitz made in Canada). Too rich for me to own, but they were great when someone else paid for them.

As usual, no association with any of these companies except as a purchaser.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#270078 - 05/22/14 09:00 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
The 7mm fully dilated pupil (night vision eye capability) isn't achievable by everyone and will get smaller with age. It may be preferable to have a number of different sets of binoculars for use for different circumstances rather than have a very expensive single set trying to cover everything.

I have a pair of Bresser 8x56s (Meade of Germany). They are heavy @ 1.1Kg and quite bulky, have quite a narrow field of view @ 101m/1000m, but they are exceptional for low light conditions with that 7mm exit pupil and the light gathering 56mm objective lenses. They cost me around $75 from a discount store called Lidls. They will for example beat even Nikon Monarchs 8x42s in low light conditions.

Bresser 8x56s identical to these.

A more portable set of binoculars might well be these BARSKA Naturescape 8X42 Waterproof Binoculars. I have found these to be excellent general purpose use binoculars. Again considering the cost these are a bargain @ the price shown. Weight is 600 grams.

I have also found these Olympus 8x25 PCI Binoculars to be excellent considering the weight and cost (paid around $60 for them). In terms of performance/weight @225 grams/price ratio a candidate for the BOB.

Looking at the prices being paid online for some very credible high performance optics, overall there are some very good price deals around especially for the lower magnification/wider exit pupil binoculars (hence low light use at dawn/dusk). Why are a set of 16x50 Nikon Aculons considerably more pricey than a set of 7x50 Nikon Aculons is a bit of a mystery to me. i.e. Current Amazon.com prices;

Nikon 8247 ACULON A211 7 x 50 Binocular (Black) - $87
Nikon 8250 ACULON A211 16 x 50 Binocular (Black) - $136

Does the purchasing public think magnification is the be end all to purchasing binoculars?

So, are we comparing the size of our bins now? LOL

#270085 - 05/23/14 04:36 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Am Fear Laith Mor, I'm interested in purchasing those Bresser 8x56 binoculars. However, I want to do a tripod mount and one review said there is no fixture or plate attachment for a tripod. All the other reviews are silent on this issue. Would you be so kind as to supply the answer? Thanx in advance.

#270092 - 05/23/14 01:11 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

Here is a link to the Bresser Diorit 8x56 Roof Prism Binocular. $99 is a bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/Bresser-1840856-Di...binoculars+8x56

These are actually an improved design over the Bressers 8x56s I have with a greater field of view of 118/119m over the 101/1000m, so an improvement in the field of view.

Features and specs.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/bresser-diorit-8x56-roof-prism-binocular-p-7155.html?

These binoculars don't have a standard binocular 1/4/ threaded mount though, a clamp design mount adapter such as Manfrotto 035BN Binocular Super Clamp should work though. Other clamp designs are also available.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035BN-Bi...pod+clamp+mount

#270103 - 05/24/14 04:28 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Am Fear: Many thanx for the quick & informative reply. I've taken up your suggestion. I ordered the Bresser/Doritos 8x56 binocular , the Manfrotto universal bino mount, and added a Dolica 68" Proline tripod/pan head. I'll let you know how it works out.

#270426 - 06/14/14 01:55 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Am Fear: well I took your advice on the Bresser 8x56 Binos & clamp & added a mid price black metal tripod. $264, all up, delivered. Great Advice! Many Thanx! The whole family loves Dad's new toy. I can read wall signs in Mid-town Manhattan from across the river( s) on either side of the island. Wonderful night views. Clear nights give contrasts and reflections not available in daylight. They beat the heck out of my friend's military grade 7x50, $1,300, Nikons.

Edited by acropolis5 (06/14/14 05:09 PM)

#270538 - 06/18/14 11:45 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

Good to hear that the Bresser's were up to the Job.

#271170 - 08/10/14 06:36 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Emoskop and copies: very small do-just-about-everything optics: telescope, glass, microscope in a miniature package with inherent limitations.

http://www.submin.com/binocular/

http://www.haverhills.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?&shop=city&L=eng&P=1062

Edited by dweste (08/10/14 06:40 PM)

#272177 - 10/12/14 05:12 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: dweste]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

dwestw, are the Emoscopes still in production? I can't seem to find any place selling them. I'd like to buy the Emoscope SM. Please advise, if you know? My Google- fu is usually decent, but this has me. stumped

#272331 - 10/18/14 03:18 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm intrigued by the Emoskop/Episcope. It seems that its main use is really as a loupe. since it only has 3x as telescope. In other words, to someone who is not all up on optics, it seems kind of like a novelty item or curio. Like a Curta, it's probably been replaced by newer, more powerful models. Am I wrong?

#272452 - 10/24/14 04:58 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

have not used a monocular. would LOVE to have one - if I could find pretty good quality at a reasonable price. I do agree that binocs are way more comfortable on the eyes for long-term use.

I have found that 8x is too low for magnification. I always seem to need to see a bit more. OTOH, 15x is too high. too much vibration. so somewhere in the range 10-12x is about right for binocs. It would be nice to have 50mm lenses, but those binocs are too bulky and heavy. 25mm lenses don't have enough light. so somewhere around 30-40mm is probably a good compromise. hence, 10x30, or 12x40 might be great.

I'm assuming the same applies to the monocular. so looking for something in that range.

Pete

#272744 - 11/07/14 07:33 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ended up going with small binocs

#272880 - 11/16/14 07:55 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
i used ultra-small binox for years but often even left them behind when i shouldn't have, so went to a monoc.

after trying different ones i carried the modern Zeiss 10x25B "Design Selection" model for a while (second from right in pix below) but even left that behind at times due to being just a tad too large.

it took a few years to find the one i really wanted: the much smaller & straight tapered long-discountined Zeiss 6x20B Classic.

after years of pocket carry, i've never had to leave this one behind.

here's a pix i just took of it:

Zeiss makes a bunch of newer models, and while they don't come cheap, they are worth every penny! because of the ultra-high optical quality, i can see detail you can't with much larger and more powerful optics.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/nature/monoculars.html#models

in particular, i like the one close to what i carry, the Mono 6x18 T* (third from left, and re-shown below)

#272882 - 11/17/14 04:00 AM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Holy cow is it not cheap! Best price I found was $300. I don't use magnification often enough to justify it right now.

#272884 - 11/17/14 04:18 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Holy cow is it not cheap! Best price I found was $300. I don't use magnification often enough to justify it right now.

nope, definitely not cheap. but having tried many under-$100 units, none were really worth hauling around.

guess i'm just happy to wear cheap jeans and t-shirts in exchange for owning high quality survival/EDC gear i need, use, enjoy and depend on :-)

#273032 - 11/25/14 04:19 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: wileycoyote]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
in particular, i like the one close to what i carry, the Mono 6x18 T* (third from left, and re-shown below)
That's the one I talked about earlier in the thread. I prefer it mainly because it's close-focus, but it's also a bit lighter and a bit brighter.

#273055 - 11/26/14 07:06 PM Re: Monocular suggestions? [Re: Brangdon]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

great minds think alike Brangdon, and you beat me too it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.