Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269524 - 04/28/14 06:31 PM Looking at a Road ID ...
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Lately it seems I've been doing more activities where I don't have my wallet, or any form of ID, on my person so I've been thinking about getting a Road ID. I figure if I do get into an accident or other medical emergency when I don't have ID on me (like cycle commuting or running) that having some form of identification would be an asset; if for no other reason than to ensure my family was notified promptly.

Specifically I'm looking at non-interactive version of their Fixx ID. This is a dog-tag like product that allows you to have 7 lines of text, with 25 characters per line.

That said, I thought I'd look for a bit of advice on what exactly I'd include on this. After reading through the suggestions on the Road ID site, I've come up with something like this (not my info, obviously):

STEVEN HAUSER
SAN JUAN, CA USA
HOME 408-555-5555
WIFE 408-444-4444 CELL
DATE OF BIRTH 2 JAN 1971
BLOOD TYPE B NEGATIVE
NKA - NKDA - NO MED HX

Any thoughts on anything that I'm missing or that would be better to include that what I've got right now?

Also, I am unsure about that last line. Basically, I don't have any allergies (drug or otherwise) other than normal seasonal stuff and don't have any real medical issues that should impact any treatment. Is this an okay way to convey that, or would it be clearer some other way?

#269526 - 04/28/14 07:04 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I wear a stainless dog tag I had made at a local surplus/outdoors store. Have been wearing such a tag for probably 20 years now. (had to get a new one when my area code changed)

Have on it: name, SSN, home phone # and NO DRUG ALLERGY.

The clinic couldn't trust your blood typing info.

I figure the SSN and phone is sufficient to find everything else responders might need.(including hospital records for relevent medical stuff???)

#269528 - 04/28/14 07:30 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Denis I worked in EMS for a few years. Good on you for thinking ahead to provide some critical info if you're out cold.

The following could be condensed to give you more text characters to work with if desired:

- "HOME" and "CELL" can be deleted, the phone numbers are good enough. "408-555-5555,408-444-4444" fits on 1 line of 25 characters.

- "DATE OF BIRTH" can be deleted, if I see "2 Jan 1971" I know its a DOB. If your name was short enough, you could tack on the DOB in the same line: "JOHN SMITH 2/1/1971"

- "BLOOD TYPE" can be deleted, if I see "B NEGATIVE" I know its a blood type, not a personal attitude (ha!). Besides, the hospital won't make a treatment decision based on your stated type; they will type and crossmatch to be sure since the consequences of a mistake are great. If time is tight and there's any question you'd get Type O.

Your NKA/NKDA line is good, not much other way to convey that.

If you were in the US I'd also say take your medical insurance card with you, but I don't know if you Canucks carry those. Dunno if Canada uses the equivalent of a SSN/National ID number but there are security issues with having that on the tag.

#269529 - 04/28/14 07:32 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I think a standard Medical Alert dog tag or bracelet would take care of that. First responders look for them. I have never been a fan of putting my SSAN on anything.

#269530 - 04/28/14 07:33 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I think a standard Medical Alert dog tag or bracelet would take care of that. First responders look for them. I have never been a fan of putting my SSAN on anything.

#269535 - 04/28/14 07:44 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Luckily, I am a B positive, and that fairly often describes my personal attitude as well...

#269539 - 04/28/14 08:59 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Agree w/ the prior posters. Former EMS here too

Name, DOB, your version of SSN. point of contact (do you have the ICE concept up there?). Everything else is gravy.

I'd put pertinent medication/medical history in lieu of blood type or address. NKDA is fine, don't need NKA (no one really cares if you have allergies to strawberries or bermuda grass). But something like you're on coumadin or humira? You're G6PD negative? Absolutely good idea.

Skip any surgeries - most of us can read the operations by looking at your scars, and in reality it's not going to help if we scrape you off the road.

#269541 - 04/28/14 09:32 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a RoadID. Mine looks like this:

Chaos M. Agnet
Town, ST USA
Wife +1(555)555-5555
Medical History
No Known Allergies
Swim, Bike, Run, Beer!

With regard to DOB and SSN, I believe that I'm more at risk from identity theft than I am from a medical provider making some kind of poor treatment decision based on not knowing my SSN or DOB. I happen to know that I'm the only Chaos M. Agnet (or for that matter Chaos Agnet) living in Town, ST. Your medical history or other situation may be different from mine. I would have omitted my last line if I'd had more pertinent information to include.

#269543 - 04/28/14 10:52 PM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I have a RoadID.

With regard to DOB and SSN, I believe that I'm more at risk from identity theft than I am from a medical provider making some kind of poor treatment decision based on not knowing my SSN or DOB. I happen to know that I'm the only Chaos M. Agnet (or for that matter Chaos Agnet) living in Town, ST. Your medical history or other situation may be different from mine. I would have omitted my last line if I'd had more pertinent information to include.

Here in Canada, asking for a SIN (Social Insurance Number - equal to a US SSN) is unheard of. Up here, I have only ever been asked for my medical card number which is dependent on what province you live in.

If you are allergic, you should be wearing a medical alert bracelet and that to me raises the question; Does any SAR person or 1st Responder really care what your name is (other then to quickly and positively identify you as the right person) and need to know where you are from? I would think that they don't and I seen in an older post here (I think) where such things such ICE in cellphones are not going to be looked at by SAR or a 1st Responder as their primary job is to get you prepped for a possible trip to the hospital.

I would like to hear from any current or former SAR or 1st Responders on this. I will also ask the next time I talk with any local SAR here.

John Lubbock

#269549 - 04/29/14 03:02 AM Re: Looking at a Road ID ... [Re: Denis]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Prior to developing the back problems attendant to age/ accident, I was an active outdoor jogger. I was also a well experienced urban volunteer EMT, aware of the not-for-profit Medic Alert Foundation. In order to establish my identity, give my medical history and enable my family to be notified in case of my injury or death, while out jogging without ID, I ordered a Medic Alert neck medallion. Bracelets are also available.

The medallion has room for my name, home phone number, blood type,basic medical info/ allergies and religion. More importantly, each medallion contains a serial number and a toll free phone number. Hospitals and police know to call, give the serial number and receive the detailed notification and medical information you have previously registered. A life membership brings the right to free annual updates and a more detailed wallet card, which also can be updated.

I still wear mine, just in case. Usual disclaimers. I'm only a satisfied customer.

On reflection, I'm sure you could find some outit that has a thumb drive with emergency info in an armored neck or wrist medallion. Updates might be available as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.