Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#269318 - 04/21/14 03:22 PM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: Bingley]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

When we split wood as kids, gravity reversed itself on the downswing so the job was much harder than it is today. And we were grateful.

#269332 - 04/21/14 09:08 PM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: benjammin]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Oh yes, try this on a piece of old growth hemlock fir, the kind with a 1:20" grain twist and three knots per square foot circumferentially. That was the kind of stuff dad would bring home for us from the Weyerhauser reject pile to cut up into firewood, the kind that took 3 wedges and an 8 lb maul to get through.

Exactly. Easy to tell which people have never had to chop firewood for any length of time and would foolishly think that this axe is the greatest and Doug pretty much nailed it.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

1. I guarantee that this will work as advertised if you purchase warranty approved wood from my woodpile (shipping extra).

2. I guarantee that if you replace "Physics-exploiting axe splits wood in record time" with "Sucker-exploiting axe splits fools from their money in record time" you will achieve a new level of enlightenment.

3. I guarantee that I will pick up one of these at a garage sale for $10 or less, in 5 years or less.

John Lubbock

#269333 - 04/21/14 09:10 PM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: Bingley]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I feel it is a one trick pony.It is only good for cording wood.An axe can chop wood,pound stakes,scrape hides etc.etc..An axe can be used in most applications a knife does if need be.On the other hand if you have a wood burner at your homestead and had good wood......

BOATMAN
John

#269345 - 04/22/14 03:30 AM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
We were only allowed 3 wedges, and a log splitter was more expensive to feed than a couple of stupid young stepsons.

Dad would cut those rounds into 6' lengths, then we had to load them into the truck and take them home. He'd cut them down to 2' long rounds, then let us at them. One time my brother slipped in the mud lugging one of those 6 footers and broke his arm. Turned out he had bone cancer and the break revealed the problem. He went through two bone graft operations in the next 5 years to get rid of it. Meanwhile, the wood pile ended up my sole responsibility. While I was glad it wasn't me going under the knife, my brother's absence didn't endear him to me so much.

I think I finally convinced him to leave the damned hemlock alone. In addition to being the hardest to split, it also spit and popped in the fireplace so much it would catch the rug on fire sometimes. By the time he figured out that a wood stove would heat the house better than a plain fireplace, I was old enough that I could go get wood on my own, and I cherry picked every slash pile I came across. I also "acquired" a decent peavey so I didn't have to wrestle muddy logs so much. It was like pulling teeth to get him to let me use the Stihl, though.

An axe is great for trimming and building things. But for making firewood, nothing works as good as a splitting maul and a wood bomb.

I ought to spend some time back in the woodpile again. Back then, I thought it was a real pain. Now, it would be a happy respite from the cold, cruel world.

#269372 - 04/23/14 12:10 AM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: Bingley]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
My Dad was the king of firewood. He easily had 30-40 full cords out back, at all times, dried, cut and split. His splitter (hey, we as 80 and still working) wasn't fast enough. He played with it some and it was super fast. As in - load, fire; load, fire; just that quick.

He heated with wood, in a stove that was old before I left home. The stove is still there.

I do agree with y'all. This ax is a one trick pony. We pass.

#269384 - 04/23/14 05:57 AM Re: Awesome axe! [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
We burned wood for many, many years as our primary heat. We had chainsaws but never once had or even saw a hydraulic splitter. mad

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.