Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#269350 - 04/22/14 06:48 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: gonewiththewind]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: Montanero
If you are more limited on weight and size for your tools, here is an option for serious cutting:
Stanley Carbide Grit Rod Saw

This will cut chains and other difficult metal objects. Just tie a loop of cord into each end as a handle.

Usual disclaimer, no affiliation.

Very interesting...

For $4.00 I'll have to pick one up to try it out.
Thanks for the tip.

#269351 - 04/22/14 07:03 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm confused by the hacksaws, bolt cutters, etc.

#269353 - 04/22/14 07:51 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

My bicycle is my main method of transport. It's quicker, faster, cheaper and more flexible than any other form of transport for me.

I'm not sure what the idea of all those hacksaw are, but proper bike locks take forever to saw through and small bolt cutters won't cut heavy duty hardened and squared off chains. Also if you are trying to saw my lock off, you might need to be able to run really hard and far.

You could also look for bikes locked with just cables (easy to cut) or U-locks (use leverage)...

#269355 - 04/22/14 01:06 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: ireckon]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a small section of hacksaw blade gives me options.. striker for a fire steel, metal or wood saw etc.. takes up very little space and not much weight

#269357 - 04/22/14 02:52 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I hope no one is recommending tools to assist in theft of a bike during an emergency situation. Really bad form, the owner of that bike may be counting on it for the same situation.

#269359 - 04/22/14 03:52 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm confused by the hacksaws, bolt cutters, etc.

Me too ... I don't see how they relate to the topic.

Originally Posted By: Russ
I hope no one is recommending tools to assist in theft of a bike during an emergency situation. Really bad form, the owner of that bike may be counting on it for the same situation.

I'll second that, too.

#269361 - 04/22/14 05:59 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Acropolis5.. the SOG power tool is highly recommended by Jeff Randall (Randall Adventures and Training).... his articles on EDC and BOBs are very well thought out, and he has a lot of third world experience... I have won several Leatherman models at various 3 gun matches, so that I what I carry

#269363 - 04/22/14 07:19 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: hikermor]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
hiker,

Right there with you on the touring bike. Fortunately, wife also rides and has her own, but the 2 daughters are more of a problem. The 10 yr old can ride herself but lacks stamina and couldn't carry much. The 6 year old rides a Burley Trail-a-bike, which basically adds another 60 lbs to my ride.

If you have never read Joe Kurmanskie's books on touring while pulling his kids, they are hilarious and have some good ideas on transporting kids by bike. "In Momentum is Your Friend" he pulls his one son on a trail-a-bike pulling his younger son in a trailer. Something like 500 lbs and he rides across the country. Definitely an impressive feat...

If I had the money I'd by 2 tandems and use the girls for stokers. But those things are expensive!

#269367 - 04/22/14 07:47 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ

I don't think the cutters are for bike locks, but for gates and fences. Depending on the emergency, cutting through fenced and/or gated property may be necessary.

As an example; At the time of the 07 wildfires, the only viable escape route from my apartment was to head east toward the fire and then north or south on the freeway. If (when) the fire jumped the freeway, the only way out without a bolt cutter was a single, chapparell lines, two lane road headed west. With a bolt cutter, there were several additional routes available through golf courses. Bicycles could easily navigate the golf cart paths, and the concourses themselves were considerably less flammable then the chapparell bordering them. The fire jumped the freeway 2 days after we bugged out.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269368 - 04/22/14 08:27 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have a Mountain bike with a rear mounted rack. My E&E Kit will convert to saddlebags in seconds and my poncho & bedroll will strap onto the handlebars and rear rack in a few more seconds. Anything else will be carried on my body.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 94 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.