Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133194 - 05/18/08 02:31 PM What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape?
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
I usually EDC several feet of grey tape and electrical tape wrapped around an old gift card.
I recently got to use some of the duct tape i was carrying, and found its adhesive strength lacking. I doubt it was due to age, as i'd just wrapped it the day before.
So i'm looking for recommendations.
In your experience, what is the best(strongest, stickiest, longest in-pocket lifespan.) duct-type tape available to civilians.
Same question for electrical tape.

Price is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#133200 - 05/18/08 04:23 PM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I agree with Izzy.
The 3M brand electrial tape and Gorilla tape, but I also carry the BEST duct tape I can find.(it comes in several different levels of cost. I buy the most expencive,only a cople of bucks more, and I buy it in several differnt colors.

#133220 - 05/18/08 09:50 PM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: ]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I found the Gorilla Glue tape in Black. I carry it in the same way - wrapped around an old card of the plastic variety. It's some seriously sticky stuff. It's easily the stickiest I've found. I have used it to tape parts back on my truck and it keeps them there. I used it the other day to tape a coworker's belt prep holder back together. He was a little taken aback that I carry duct tape in my pocket. Heh. If he only knew what all I carry.

I have no recommendation for electrical tape.

Bona Na Croin

#133230 - 05/19/08 12:36 AM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: wolf]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Scotch makes several different electrical tapes, use the 33+. 33+ is the pro grade tape, the scotch tartan labled tape is the cheap line.

Haven't used the gorilla tape, will have to try some. Like the nashua 357 duct tape, but most of the $10+ a roll tapes work well and are much heavier and stickier than the cheaper duct tapes.

#133237 - 05/19/08 01:28 AM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

+1 on gorilla tape, and I too have found it in black. I have removed it from items only to have it pull the paint off :))

-Bill Liptak

#133303 - 05/20/08 12:38 AM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: BillLiptak]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Got stuck on the nashua tapes a few years back. Was using it to tape very oily smooth round steel bar stock together for gang cutting. The nashua tape was sticky enough to keep the bars from spinning while being cut with the portaband and was also difficult to pull off. And if I left the tape on overnight it would leave the adhesive on the steel bar through the layer of oil. The generic grades of duct tape would not stick to the oily surface at all. Will have to get a roll of gorilla tape and stick it.

#133311 - 05/20/08 02:18 AM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: RayW]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Never tried the gorilla brand . But I have to agree with RayW. The nashua brand is out standing stuff. I ran across it a long time ago in the navy. It is the only duct tape that I found that if sealed the edges carefully with a bubble of air inside. With about 6 inches of tape you could form a bubble about 2 x 3 x about 1/2 inch thick. If left around an hour to really let the glue set. I could put my heel on it and balance my entire weight on it without popping the bubble. And believe me I'm not a featherweight.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#133341 - 05/20/08 03:39 PM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: Raspy]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

x10 on the gorilla tape. It's one of the stickiest ones I've ever used. Sometimes a little too sticky. Gaffers tape is a cloth backed tape very similar to duct tape, and it won't leave the sticky residue all over the place. The only problem is it's pretty pricey at $20 a roll for the good stuff. There's also 100mph tape, which is similar to gorilla tape but a little thinner and stronger, the only issue I had with it is you can't rip off a piece, you had to cut it because it wouldn't tear easily.

For electrical tape, I actually started using this new self sealing silicone tape intended for plumbing repairs.

http://www.rescuetape.com/

It's not even a tape, there's really no adhesive because it will only stick to itself. It handles similar to electrical tape, only stretchier, and when you wrap it around something, it will eventually fuse itself into a solid piece, and the only way to take it off is by cutting it off. The best thing is, it won't leave ANY residue at all. It's better than standard electrical tape in almost every way, you can even use it to repair a leaky pipe or heater hose on a car.

#133356 - 05/20/08 07:07 PM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: BillLiptak]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
+1 on gorilla tape, and I too have found it in black. I have removed it from items only to have it pull the paint off :))

-Bill Liptak

Be very careful with Gorilla tape around arm hair... cry

#133360 - 05/20/08 08:15 PM Re: What's the best Duct tape and Electrical tape? [Re: RayW]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: RayW
Scotch makes several different electrical tapes, use the 33+. 33+ is the pro grade tape, the scotch tartan labled tape is the cheap line.

Likewise for their duct tape line. I use the "Outdoor Tough" version which is more of a charcoal color than the traditional silver.

The packaging has a couple of little bar charts indicating "strength" and one for "weatherability". 3M rates this tape as #5 out of 6 for both.

I originally bought several rolls at Lowes, although now I don't see it listed on their website (or even on 3M's website) so perhaps it has been discountinued. It wasn't too pricey (around $8.00 for a 55 yard roll) and seems very well made.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.