Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269128 - 04/16/14 03:48 PM Has anyone seen this REI mug recently?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone seen this REI coffee mug in the stores recently? This is my favorite coffee mug. It NEVER leaks a single drop. But I can't seem to find it in REI stores anymore. It is made by Aladdin.

I like it because the lid snaps over the cup, it doesn't screw on with one of those o-ring seals that always seem to leak. And you can microwave the thing to get your coffee good and hot, and it stays pretty hot since the mug is insulated.

Alternately, does anyone know of a different brand/model microwaveable, snap-on lid, insulated mug? Dishwasher safe is not a big deal, although if it's microwaveable, it's probably dishwasher safe too.

#269131 - 04/16/14 04:57 PM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: haertig]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
haertig,

I think it is this one (at least if you have the 12 oz size).

http://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Green-Th...rds=aladdin+mug

The other sizes are also available on Amazon. Do a search for your size.

The Aladdin has long been a favorite of hikers (lots of them cut the handle off to save weight).

Respectfully,

Jerry

If you really like them, try the 6 pack.

http://www.amazon.com/oz-ThermoServ-Coff...+Thermoserv+mug

#269132 - 04/16/14 05:23 PM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: JerryFountain]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Yes! That certainly looks like it. I appreciate you finding this for me, I didn't think to search on Amazon. About twice the price I remember paying at REI, but I bought my current one years and years ago (a decade or more maybe?) They DO last a long time (well, until the dog decides they are good chew toys and destroys the handle!)

#269154 - 04/17/14 12:43 AM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: haertig]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Check your local gas station or truck stop. I used to have several sizes similar to that. IIRC the one I had that size came from a Pilot truck stop. You could get them refilled for a reduced rate compared to a disposable cup.

#269155 - 04/17/14 03:45 AM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, actually, in a car camping box I haven't opened for years. It's an Aladdin, though not with an REI logo. When they first came out, it was like manna from heaven. The foam insulation was very effective. But over time, I got tired of the plastic taste that always came through. Still, perfectly appropriate for a discreet beer at a car campsite. And since it's something like 10-15 years old, I have to salute the quality of the original build.

(P.S., My friends who are serious about wine/beer making tell me that the TSP+chlorine cleaner they use to clean their primaries totally kills that off-putting polyethylene taste. Have to try that sometime.)

#269160 - 04/17/14 05:14 AM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Double wall titanium is the way to go IMO -- won't break like glass and does not chemically react with food, wine, coffee, et al. I can't do plastic for coffee or wine.

#269161 - 04/17/14 11:42 AM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have at least three still in service, but they are no longer on the shelves at REI. Excellent for quickly zapping a nice mug of tea. Light enough for luxury camping in the woods.....

#269269 - 04/20/14 12:53 AM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: hikermor]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I love these mugs. There is also a 20oz. version perfect for cold drinks. The story behind them is that they used to be made by Aladdin and they put everyone's logo on them including REI and a place called Fish Eating Creek Fish Camp close to where I live. I love they way they handle and keep drinks cold for hours. Also easy dishwasher safe cleaning.

When the uniform size car cup holder came about, these big mugs fell out of favor because they would not fit. Aladdin dropped them. A couple of years later an entrepreneur who saw a continued market for them bought up the tooling and now makes them in various colors. You can locate them on Ebay under the search "Thermo Serv."

I'm pleased that someone else loves this little piece of 80s technology. I use mine every day.

#269334 - 04/21/14 09:15 PM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: haertig]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Used ONE a lot while in the Navy,in the Arctic Circle.Kept my coffee hot."Thats all I have to say about that."

BOATMAN
John

#269393 - 04/23/14 07:44 PM Re: Has anyone seen this REI mug recently? [Re: JerryFountain]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
haertig,

I think it is this one (at least if you have the 12 oz size).

http://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Green-Th...rds=aladdin+mug

The other sizes are also available on Amazon. Do a search for your size.

The Aladdin has long been a favorite of hikers (lots of them cut the handle off to save weight).

Respectfully,

Jerry

If you really like them, try the 6 pack.

http://www.amazon.com/oz-ThermoServ-Coff...+Thermoserv+mug

Yep. I've had one for many years. I can't even remember when I cut the handle off, it's been that long. I drink mostly hot tea so I found this to be perfect for me. While making a meal, the first water I pour is always into the mug, add teabag, close lid, eat meal, sit back and relax after meal while sipping. The fact that it keeps everything hot and even warm hours later is a bonus for cool evenings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.