Topic Options
#269107 - 04/16/14 02:02 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: PSM]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: PSM
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Good riddance to incans. LEDs are vastly superior in every meaningful way.

How well do they warm your pipes if you put them under your house in a severe freeze?

Interesting use of lights - I don't think I have ever used lights for that purpose. I would much prefer to use heat tapes, or let the faucets drip....

#269108 - 04/16/14 02:21 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: hikermor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I don't recall where it was but I've seen an article about a city that replaced their traffic light bulbs with LEDs. The next winter, they found that they had a problem with snow & ice build-up on the traffic lights. The new LED bulbs didn't generate enough heat to keep them melted off.

#269113 - 04/16/14 03:42 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: benjammin
In this age of LEDs, it might be worth reminding that in the event of EMP, an LED is just another solid state device that is susceptible. Having one or two incandescent bulb flashlights would be advisable.

If you experience an EMP that wipes out your LEDs, wouldn't that same EMP also wipe out the electricity generation devices (generators, etc.) that you would depend on to power your backup incandescents? I think candle lanterns would be more useful after an EMP.

#269114 - 04/16/14 03:46 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: yee]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: yee
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Or keep some LED flashlights in a lead-lined box?
EMP is controlled by a Faraday shield.

Good point. Forgot my electronics training from 30+ years ago that I haven't used in 25+ years.

#269120 - 04/16/14 05:23 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: PSM
Good riddance to incans. LEDs are vastly superior in every meaningful way.

How well do they warm your pipes if you put them under your house in a severe freeze?

Interesting use of lights - I don't think I have ever used lights for that purpose. I would much prefer to use heat tapes, or let the faucets drip....

Hahaha! Of course not- you live in California! Don't you folks panic when it gets down to 45? grin

#269122 - 04/16/14 06:14 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

LED vs. incandescents? Carbide lamp, boys! It's tried and true!

#269124 - 04/16/14 11:36 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I haven't always lived in California. I have spent time in Illinois, Ohio, and Arizona. I think the coldest spot I have lived is Flagstaff, AZ- nothing between Flag and the north Pole but a barbed wire fence. We saw -40F routinely....The plumbing was installed for those conditions.

And, yes, nowadays in coastal Cal, anything below 50F is severe winter......

#269139 - 04/16/14 08:00 PM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I figured you had, Hikermor. I have a buddy in Mountain House, CA that [censored] every time it gets under 50, though. Typical!

#269147 - 04/16/14 09:00 PM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: benjammin]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
during ten years without electric lights we tried numerous methods and eventually went back to candles. if used inside a glass chimney they were pretty safe, easy, didn't smell, quick and simple.

we really came to hate wick and mantel oil lamps. too smelly, too hot, fragile, and a pain to be constantly refilling.

generally candles aren't cheap, so we'd go to large stores that sold candles and offer the management to buy the ones they'd pulled off the shelves due to fading/warping/damage/season. we'd get boxes full for pennies on the dollars.

these days we're on a solar system running the last of our compact fluorescents until they need replacing by LEDs, so candles are left to back-up.

re: EMP - in case that should ever happen, we keep a couple/three spare LED flashlights in a padded metal military ammo can, along with a solar battery charger, a few sanyo eneloop batteries and a tiny AM/FM radio.

#269157 - 04/17/14 04:27 AM Re: Keep incandescents as a backup [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I was thinking of flashlights that were immediately rendered useless due to the solid state junction of the LED getting blown, as opposed to an incandescent flashlight which would last as long as the batteries held out.

Having an hour or so of usable light that you might otherwise not have could be an important consideration, especially if the emp drove the start of a SHTF situation.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.