Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#269068 - 04/15/14 05:03 AM AA to USB Power Charger Review
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Quick Review of an AA to USB Power Charger.

Purchased 2 of these chargers from Ebay for $3.78 each with no shipping charges. I wanted an AA battery to USB power charger so that I could extend the battery life of my small handheld video cameras without spending a fortune on factory replacement batteries. Plus I have a surplus of AA Eneloop batteries that are not being used. I was bit leery of purchasing the charger, both in terms of quality and country of origin. However I was pleasantly surprised that the chargers arrived in 12 business days. More on the quality below.

This charger is made of an all plastic casing and for the price, the quality is better then I expected for $3.78. The case consists of a simple 4x AA battery tray with a sliding and removable sleeve that gives access to the batteries.

Controls on the charger are a simple OFF, LED light and USB selector. When in USB mode, there is a red indicator light that shuts off whenever the device that is being charged, is completed. The same indicator light will blink in a slow steady pattern when the AA batteries are low in voltage.

The USB port (cable not included) is securely attached in the case and I have not experienced any loseness nor movement while plugging and unplugging the cable several times. The 3 clear LED lights only purpose is to be used when the selector switch is in flashlight mode. While not the brightest, the 3 LED's are suffucient enough to give low level light in a darkened room but I would not recommend that the flashlight mode be put to use for any real emergency where brighter and longer throw lighting is required.

- Small size - 3-1/8" height and 2" wide which is smaller then a deck of cards

- Quality vs price. For $3.78 each, the chargers are a bargain and much better then a $45.00 charger I previously purchased but returned as the claimed mAh did not measure up.

Grumbles
- The selector switch can be accidentally bumped on to either flashlight mode or to USB mode. I have found though that a small piece of electrical tape will keep the selector in the off position.

Summary
In my limited testing so far, the charger has performed fine as its only real primary purpose is to convert the 4x Eneloop batteries combined 8000 mAh to USB - 5v at 500mAh. At this point, I can say that charging time is on par with other 500 mAh chargers I have used. For my intended use, I will be using the charger to extend the run time of my video cameras via a small digital camera bag attached to my belt or via the charger mounted on the camera tripod leg.

For other users, the charger would make a suitable battery backup for a cell phone, GPS etc and is small enough to fit into almost any EDC bag. One thing to keep in mind. On Ebay, most of the descriptions clearly state the charger is not meant for tablets. I also noticed that the charger would not charge my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note II...which is almost tablet size.

John Lubbock

#269079 - 04/15/14 05:45 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thanks for your review - useful

teacher RO

#269092 - 04/15/14 07:45 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
It would be a good way to avoid the photos under the "Photos: sharing electricity" entry.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/31/superstorm-sandy-cleanup-live

For a home/vehicle setup, there are a number of DIY chargers that use 4+ D-cell alkaline batteries (3-4 times the capacity of AA batteries) in series with a 5V regulator and a power resistor. Alkaline battery shelf lives have reached the point where they are now viable for extended storage.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269095 - 04/15/14 09:06 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I ordered one. My phone sucks down the battery on 4G. Planning trip to Eastern Europe in a couple of months, and 4g is universally available where I'll be. I wanted a backup that used AA batteries (almost universally available.) Not one that I have to recharge to to charge the phone (seems slightly redundant to me). We shall see. Note---long delivery time, as it comes from China (bought via Amazon, no affiliation.) At less than 6 bucks including shipping, its worth a try.

#269099 - 04/15/14 11:06 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Mark_R]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

For a home/vehicle setup, there are a number of DIY chargers that use 4+ D-cell alkaline batteries (3-4 times the capacity of AA batteries) in series with a 5V regulator and a power resistor. Alkaline battery shelf lives have reached the point where they are now viable for extended storage.

I have seen these on the internet and look easy to make. If I were to go this route though, I would use a 12 volt SLA (Sealed lead acid) battery which come in a number of different amp hour capacities and can also be readily stored and recharged.

John Lubbock

#269127 - 04/16/14 02:24 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I bought one of these. Read the instructions carefully (cause I didn't), and ONLY use it to charge 1.0A devices. I tried to use it to charge my IPAD (2.1A), and it let out the magic white smoke in about 10 minutes... and was so hot I could smell the plastic melting.

Too bad they couldn't put in a protection circuit to prevent that, because otherwise, that one was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

#269163 - 04/17/14 12:04 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have this one
http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/power-pack-chargers/aa-power-pack/

It charges my tablet fine and look like it supports Apple's 'interpretation' of the USB spec.

#269184 - 04/17/14 07:08 PM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: Eugene]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I have this one
http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/power-pack-chargers/aa-power-pack/

It charges my tablet fine and look like it supports Apple's 'interpretation' of the USB spec.

Only charges at 1.0A. Might get the job done, but it'll take eight hours to do it...

#269213 - 04/18/14 04:02 AM Re: AA to USB Power Charger Review [Re: RNewcomb]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I bought one of these. Read the instructions carefully (cause I didn't), and ONLY use it to charge 1.0A devices. I tried to use it to charge my IPAD (2.1A), and it let out the magic white smoke in about 10 minutes... and was so hot I could smell the plastic melting.

Too bad they couldn't put in a protection circuit to prevent that, because otherwise, that one was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

That is why I mentioned in my original post:

One thing to keep in mind. On Ebay, most of the descriptions clearly state the charger is not meant for tablets.

And you are absolutely right -always read the instructions!

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.