Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269057 - 04/14/14 03:53 PM Earthquakes and short memories.
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
This morning in the NY Times there is a good video and article: Promises of Preparedness Followed Devastating Earthquakes. And Yet.
Quote:
Readiness, or lack of it, is also on the national mind in this country after back-to-back earthquakes rocked Southern California in late March. Damage was relatively slight. But a question that had loomed for decades suddenly gained new urgency: How prepared are Americans, especially Californians, for the anticipated killer quake routinely referred to with a mixture of dread and awe as the Big One?
-------------snip---------------
After Loma Prieta and then a quake of 6.7 magnitude in 1994, California bumped up its readiness by many notches. Billions have been spent fortifying infrastructure elements like bridges, rail systems, water mains, schools and other public buildings.
--------------snip------------
....being better prepared is hardly synonymous with being fully prepared; ........ Once memories of an earthquake fade, there is a tendency to slip back into complacency.......
--------------snip-----------
Understandably, California draws the most attention, but fault lines snake through pretty much all regions of the United States except the northern Midwest. (New Yorkers tend to forget that a major fault runs along 125th Street in Manhattan. The Harlem Shake may yet refer to more than a dance craze.) Oregon in particular drew Retro Report’s interest because seismologists believe it is due, maybe even overdue, for an enormous quake that could conceivably register as much as a devastating magnitude 9.
The video with this article is well worth watching.

#269072 - 04/15/14 03:09 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Great video, good reminders. Thanks.

#269083 - 04/15/14 06:17 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It seems lots of places in the US are now past due for having catastrophic sized quakes. One wonders if there might not be some domino effect possible, especially along the west coast.

#269089 - 04/15/14 07:10 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

That is an excellent report and video, thanks. For me, experiencing the unexpected will forever include the 5.8 magnitude August 2011 earthquake on the east coast (the Washington Monument -- damaged in that quake -- is only now nearing reopening).

Coincidentally, my to-do list this weekend includes cleaning out the car and fine-tuning the preps in it for spring.

All we, as individuals, can control is how prepared we are.

#269100 - 04/15/14 11:50 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: benjammin
It seems lots of places in the US are now past due for having catastrophic sized quakes.

Earthquake prediction, at present, is not really possible, although there have been lots of attempts. A region may be overdue, or it may be underdue (is that a word?)for all we really know.

You just have to get ready,and stay ready. I am now in the habit of filling up when the gas tank is half empty. Post quake, gasoline will be in short supply. I also keep a robust pry bar under the bed....

#269118 - 04/16/14 04:35 AM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I also keep a robust pry bar under the bed....
I was going to ask why you need it in the bedroom, but decided that I don't wish to pry into your affairs! smile

#269121 - 04/16/14 05:28 AM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Here in SD the only quakes we get are "geostatic rebound"- basically the Earth springing back from the weight of the now-melted glaciers that once covered the region.

#269126 - 04/16/14 01:00 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you extend the non preparedness to severe events in general... it's been 10 years since the power outages of the 04 hurricane season, and new (to Florida) neighbors questioned why I have more than one bulk propane tank for the grill...

#269240 - 04/19/14 01:40 AM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: AKSAR]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Pry bars are needed to open doors in damaged door frames after a quake. Everyone working in a building should have one in their desk at work too. However, this may be frowned upon by some employers, so maybe a large screwdriver would be more acceptable.

#269254 - 04/19/14 06:21 PM Re: Earthquakes and short memories. [Re: Treeseeker]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I always thought that if I lived in a quake prone area like SoCal, I'd make sure that each bed in my home had a supply drawer or hollow on the underside for emergency gear. My custom bed would also have a plywood or metal grill canopy , supported by HD posts. What do you think: Chicken Little fantasy or a good marketing idea?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.