The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#269033 - 04/13/14 02:54 AM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Very nice kit, indeed! I would recommend a small zip lock bag for the ferro rod with magnesium block. With time it tends to deteriorate and may spoil the content of the pouch.

#269060 - 04/14/14 05:33 PM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: tomfaranda]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
Your youtube video said this was for a half hour to hour lunchtime walk. My heavens, what do you carry for an overnighter!

Hope for the best and plan for the worst.... When I plan to go for a hike, I plan to end up on an unexpected overnighter. It's the rallying call of us overpackers, but it's a tough time of year, around these parts, for downsizing our kits. (It's been such a long winter that it's hard to resist.) This little woods bumming kit is intended for use when my Jeep is under an hour walk away. I'm keeping my bigger day hike kit packed and ready in my Jeep for longer truer wilderness hikes, and also for use as a GHB. In addition to time and distance, terrain and weather play a big role in deciding which kit I take.

bacpacjac's GHB/Day Hike Kit

Here's a few snippets from this morning's Toronto area weather report for the next 24 hours to give you an idea of what I'm prepping for:

"...can expect a major temperature swing within the next 24 hours with a high of 20C Monday and a low of -8C Tuesday... rain is expected to make its way into the forecast in the afternoon.... ice pellets will arrive Monday night as the temperature plummets, bringing with it a risk of freezing rain early Tuesday morning.... the precipitation turns to snow Tuesday morning... the snow is expected to clear Tuesday afternoon with a high of 2C." We've got 70 km/hr winds the next few days too. smirk

There is also serious flooding just East of us, and much ice left to melt between home and work. The creek I drive beside on my daily commute is just about up to the level of the road, so I expect to detour tomorrow. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#269062 - 04/14/14 08:43 PM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Very nice. Well thought out.

#269090 - 04/15/14 07:25 PM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

With most people, it is a struggle to get them to carry enough. With most of us here, it is a struggle not to carry too much!

#269319 - 04/21/14 03:27 PM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

It's a few weeks in and I am really liking this kit. Thanks so much for the feedback! I've taken it to heart and:

-added a filter straw
-added a few MicroPUR tabs to my canteen kit
-removed the black PSK bag, along with the extra folder, mag bar, extra duct tape, squeeze light
-moved the mini repair/fishing kit to my FAK
-replaced the birthday candle with a trick birthday candle
-added a Buff in lieu of a winter toque (baseball hat season is back but we're still dropping close to or below freezing)

I'm still thinking about the straps, but the leather belt is working just great. It's the perfect length and the kit weighs little enough that it's really comfy slung over my shoulder. I think I may just leave it as it is.

Back to the hatchet for a moment... here's a little video about my usual day hike sharps. As it sits this morning, this little kit has only my Mora. (I've always got my EDC SAK too.) The others are living in my bigger kit, unless I plan on using them.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8OysTFxfqo

Until I fix by unsafe hatchet, I'm using the good old family hatchet:

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#269448 - 04/25/14 04:30 PM Re: My New Woods Bumming Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Pics sent

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.