Stranger

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
High school student stabs 20+ people.

Link

#268917 - 04/10/14 05:04 AM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's a miracle none of the victims died. At least one is in very grave condition but last I heard all are expected to survive. A very troubling situation to be sure.

#268926 - 04/10/14 02:18 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Amazing the number of people I've talked to about this that are astonished at how many kids got stabbed. A knife in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is far more effective in a crowd than a gun.

I believe I heard the CNN anchor refer to this as another shooting. I suspect it was a Freudian slip.

#268940 - 04/10/14 07:09 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: benjammin]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Last year an attacker injured 15 people in a crowed city street in Germany before some realized what was happening. Even the victims took some time. The attacker vanished in the crowd and was not even identified. I fully agree about a knife being an effective weapon even in the hands of a poorly trained individual.
Luckily the guy in the school stabbing seems to lack serious knife handling skills.

#268946 - 04/10/14 09:00 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
If this high school was like mine, it was like Disneyland at closing time between classes. It doesn't take much in the way of skills to inflict mass casualties in that environment.

Consider the Kunming Railway Station attack earlier this year. 8 attackers with kitchen and work knives left 29 dead and 140 wounded. Also, the Chenpeng Village Primary School in 2012. One attacker, 24 wounded. Same type of crowded environment as Franklin school.

I'm a little surprised at the timing in that there's normally at least 2 weeks between mass casualty events, and Ft Hood was only a week ago.

Am I being cynical assuming that this type of event is going to be "business as usual" for the foreseable future?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#268949 - 04/10/14 09:32 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I never thought about the dynamics of something like this. You guys brought up some good points. I anticipate more young maniacs figuring out they can do more damage in a crowd if they use a knife.

#268953 - 04/10/14 11:12 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
As a what-if exercise, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were about the report that someone (perhaps a student) had pulled the fire alarm to get people out of the building. Is that a good thing to do when some sort of mass attack is taking place?

I suppose the logic is that it gets people out and away from the danger.

My initial instinct is that it was not a good idea. Warning everyone is smart, but having them flood into the hallways could increase the number of casualties. Basically, I think it's mostly a race against time--how to minimize casualties until the cavalry arrives, whether that's a school resource officer from the other side of campus, first responders from outside, or even people inside the school figuring out what's happening and dealing with the threat themselves. The "fog of war" certainly applies in this situation and it's hard to act when you don't know what's happening.

Hmmm, actually, come to think of it, we don't know who pulled the alarm. The suspect could've pulled it himself to create a "target rich" environment in the hallways.

I forget where, but there was a mass shooting outside a middle or high school by two kids where they deliberately pulled the fire alarm to draw people outside where they could shoot them with a rifle.

#268954 - 04/10/14 11:14 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I feel so bad for all of those students. It has to affect everyone there to go through something like this in a very formative time of their life like high school.

#268956 - 04/10/14 11:33 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Arney, here is a link to the shooting you mentioned. It was at Westside Elementary School in Jonesboro AR. One indeed did pull the fire alarm to get everyone outside so they could sniper them from nearby woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Johnson_and_Andrew_Golden

#268957 - 04/10/14 11:55 PM Re: Local school stabbing [Re: bones996]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
at the high school I formerly worked at, after the Columbine Tragedy, we re wrote our emergency management plan...one of the positive practical outcomes was to preposition emergency trauma supplies in our out classrooms, and the quadrants of the building...pressure bandages, Kerlix gauze, petroleum gauze, and gloves are easy to store in Rubbermaid bins...we were fortunate that we had two RN's on staff.... one problem we were not able to address was adequate communication... at a high school, there is always a shortage of portable radios... I argued for a classroom phone system (Siemens made one at the time), that had an "all call" capability with a 2.7GHz portable phone, that a teacher would grab as they went out the door for a building evacuation...and would give multi level communication in a crisis... for you that are classroom teachers... wait till you have a building evacuation ,and the news helicopter shows up overhead... your school switchboard and local 911 call center will be flooded and immobilized... a "private" phone number that is not connected to the 911 system to first responders could be a life saver

Edited by LesSnyder (04/10/14 11:56 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.