Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#268726 - 03/31/14 01:16 PM More Zippo Fails
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I should have sent my Zippo Blue lighter back when its performance was well sub par for a butane windproof lighter. But I kept it in the back of a drawer and then I thought I would give it another go. So I topped up the butane and tried it out. Thank goodness the flint didn't strike properly, because the lighter exploded and release all the butane in less then quarter of a second covering my hand in liquid butane. It could have been a firery fireball hand. Seriously not impressed. I will now send this piece of rubbish back. I will request that they send me a replacement standard Zippo lighter instead. I already have a standard Zippo lighter, and it works as stated.

Which brings me on to another piece of Zippo failure; the Zippo Fuel Canister. Don't bother, it is rubbish. It constantly leaks fuel. Don't use it as intended, highly flammable smelly itchy genitals may result. It will also be sent back. frown

Edited for profanity!

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/31/14 02:45 PM)

#268734 - 03/31/14 04:51 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I bought a standard Zippo a year ago and played with it for awhile. I took it back after a couple months. I don't understand why Zippos are ever brought up on survival forums. They are so unreliable that someone can easily put themselves in trouble if they're thinking it's reliable.

#268736 - 03/31/14 05:10 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: ireckon]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Wow, I inherited my Dad's Zippo: he got it in the mid 1950's. All it needs is flint and fuel and it lights every time.

#268739 - 03/31/14 08:15 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
That's the point. A Zippo ALWAYS needs fuel added because the fuel evaporates quickly. That makes a Zippo unreliable, and it's dangerous if you are treating it as a piece of reliable gear. You can carry around spare fuel, but then I'm wondering what's the point.

#268741 - 03/31/14 09:34 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My all time favorite lighter so far is the Solo Candle Lighter. I like that it extends - makes lighting camp fire setups and stoves sooo much easier. And its easily refillable.

Here is a site that carries it so you can see it, but I'm not sure if I've ever purchased from this particular company.

http://www.survivalcampingstore.com/CampingLighter-Solo

I have never tested it anywhere but the midwest, so it may have problems at high altitude - not at all a problem here though.

#268742 - 03/31/14 09:55 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I should have sent my Zippo Blue lighter back when its performance was well sub par for a butane windproof lighter. But I kept it in the back of a drawer and then I thought I would give it another go. So I topped up the butane and tried it out. Thank goodness the flint didn't strike properly, because the lighter exploded and release all the butane in less then quarter of a second covering my hand in liquid butane. It could have been a firery fireball hand. Seriously not impressed. I will now send this piece of rubbish back. I will request that they send me a replacement standard Zippo lighter instead. I already have a standard Zippo lighter, and it works as stated.

Which brings me on to another piece of Zippo failure; the Zippo Fuel Canister. Don't bother, it is rubbish. It constantly leaks fuel. Don't use it as intended, highly flammable smelly itchy genitals may result. It will also be sent back. frown

Edited for profanity!

If you have something like the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission over there, I urge you to report this to them. For that matter, report it to the CPSC as well. http://www.cpsc.gov/About-CPSC/Contact-I...rmation-Center/
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#268743 - 03/31/14 10:15 PM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A Solo lighter has been the main igniter in mycook kit for several years. I really like the extendable feature. Bics have also worked very well for me. Whichever I am carrying, I always have a supply of strike anywhere matches. Most of my diciest fires have been lit with them.

Edited by hikermor (04/01/14 12:13 AM)

#268745 - 04/01/14 12:10 AM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a standard Zippo and an 8 oz bottle of Robsonol fluid. But the lighter I always go to when needed is a Bic. Yeah, they occasionally fail, but that's why I have another and a couple more in another kit and a 6 pack in the closet. They work and they're cheap. Never had one leak.

#268746 - 04/01/14 01:00 AM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: ireckon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ireckon
That's the point. A Zippo ALWAYS needs fuel added because the fuel evaporates quickly. That makes a Zippo unreliable, and it's dangerous if you are treating it as a piece of reliable gear. You can carry around spare fuel, but then I'm well beyond the point of wondering what's the point.

Put a section of bicycle inner tube over the zippo. The fuel will last about a month that way. Plus the rubber makes a great emergency fire starter if needed.

#268748 - 04/01/14 03:38 AM Re: More Zippo Fails [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I like a standard Zippo for EDC. But that is because I keep track of it and, like my Grandad, will fuel it regularly.

For perhaps the best butane lighter I have found, the Xikar Stratosphere has got to be it. The ones I've used have always performed, feel solid, and I like how visible the fuel tank is. Further research on-line suggests these are indeed suitably reliable and robust. The price point seems quite reasonable.

As usual, I have no affiliation with the folks that make these. Just passing on what I know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.