Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#268687 - 03/29/14 02:18 PM Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners....
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quick reminder to be cautious when you're out there, even if you're still within the city, and especially if you're going solo.

This happened to a friend of mine while she was walking her dog earlier in this week, in a conservation area that I often take the kiddos too or go solo hiking in. She held onto that tree for an hour an a half before rescuers could get to her. She ended up with a broken arm and rib, and lots of bruises. Thank goodness she caught that tree, had her cel phone and reception, and was wearing warm clothes. It was a frigid night that night.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/4431656-woman-dog-rescued-after-fall-in-north-ajax/

Reminds me of the missing jogger from a nearby area, who still hasn't been found. Here's the latest on that search:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sh...y-ont-1.2573192

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#268692 - 03/29/14 03:17 PM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Scary! Thank goodness she had a cell phone and signal to place the call.

Good advice to not take safety for granted, not even in urban environments (perhaps especially not in cities, considering the crime rate around mine).

Even on solo walks on the C&O Canal just outside DC's Beltway, I'll e-mail someone to let them know where I'm going and when.

This woman's situation also reaffirms my commitment to always having a whistle on hand -- in case the phone hadn't worked.

#268693 - 03/29/14 03:47 PM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

She told me last night, that she used to think I was a little crazy for taking my pack when I go hiking, but was really glad she at least had a whistle on her keychain - she used to it help rescuers find her exact location once they arrived at the park. wink

#268696 - 03/29/14 05:19 PM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

You and she could co-author a public service message in the form of an op-ed for your local newspaper.

I was out with a group in the surprisingly remote Pine Barrens of New Jersey in January for a "dryland racing" event for sled dogs. One member of the group who had never been there before got lost with her dog team.

Because of spotty phone service, it took quite a while for her to get through to one of us and the calls dropped several times. Thankfully, it was early in the day and there were some people there who were very familiar with the trails and they were able to piece together enough clues to our friend's whereabouts to find them.

One positive outcome of that experience is that several people on the spot developed a keen desire to carry GPS in the future and survival kits. Much of what I've learned on ETS is now reflected in the kits they keep with them.

We're paying it forward on ETS with threads like this. Thanks, Bacpacjac, for this one.

#268707 - 03/30/14 02:58 AM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It looks like the search might be over for the missing jogger. I've been following this one closely because it's in my neck of the woods, and has made me much more cautious when I'm out solo hiking.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toro...rticle17729076/

#268708 - 03/30/14 03:00 AM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We're definitely going to invite her to talk to our Scout group, Dagny. So many people think these things are just freak accidents, but they happen frequently and easily.

#268711 - 03/30/14 07:35 AM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My story is different but since this thread is for walkers and hikers ...

There are a few small parks around where people walk in the afternoon, but I generally don't like crowded places. So, I liked the idea of a local retired guy who swears by walking in early morning (about sunrise time).

Streets were empy and quiet. Weather was cool. But then, about a 100 meters away from the house, I was faced with five dogs , one of which stood face to face. I had to slowly retreat back home ... and never had the chance to do it again.

These days, I am worried about criminal teens also, especially that I am 60 and very un-atheltic.

Ya'll be careful

#268718 - 03/31/14 12:08 AM Re: Reminder for Solo Walkers, Hikers, Runners.... [Re: Chisel]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
IME a MK 4 container of OC spray will allow you to cover most obstacles involving dogs and rogue teens--and to walk away whistling Zippadee-doo-dah. Just remember that the first guy to call 911 gets to be the victim.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.