The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#266102 - 12/27/13 02:10 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
on the subject of crowbars again: how big does one need to be to be much use. can you prise open a locked door with the little ones. and i know people sneer at the super tough knives as 'sharpened pry bars' well are they? if i try breaking a chain with one am i going to end up with a razor sharp knife half in the face?
i keep thinking of the people on 911 who were stopped getting to the roof by a lock and the cleaner who got a bunch of people out by cutting through an interior door with his squeegee. in an urban environment it's going to have to be something pretty dramatic to be a disaster scenario; so rubble, jammed doors, or prising yourself out of a lift or vehicle don't sound that unlikely. is there some other solution than prying?
qjs

Depends on what you want to open. There are too many types of doors, door frames and locks to have an answer. Braking a chain with a knife seems like a waste of time to me. The forces needed to defeat most chains cannot be generated by a knife. If you want to open a door in a different method you could try a shove knife or lock shim. However this can create legal problems when the police find these items (or crowbar, knife, etc) on you.

As for elevators, there are special keys to open elevator doors. Note, elevators are equipped with safety locks that stops an elevator from moving when a door is open. If you open a door using a unconventional method, you could be bypassing this safety. This means the elevator might move even when the door is open. This is a mayor hazard when you try to escape an elevator. You do not want an elevator to move suddenly, when you are crawling out.

#266103 - 12/27/13 03:30 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For a pry bar that can be sharpened, try County Comm http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.html.

They also have lots of "widgy bars", etc that are suitable for key chain carry. I have used them to good effect,although I no longer have one on my keychain. I didn't really use it all that much.

In an emergency, anything (or at least a lot of things) can be a prybar

#266125 - 12/28/13 02:47 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
sotto Offline
Addict

In my GOOTO (Get Out of the Office) bag, one of my most important items is a medium sized crowbar. That and dustmasks, a focused beam flashlight, 2 bottles of water, gloves, and a pair of wrap-around safety glasses.

#266149 - 12/28/13 06:53 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

'Bingley's suggestion of the Boker Plus Cop Tool is a good one. I've been using that tool as an GHB/EDC Bag option, for years, in a permitting environment. Problem is, the urban environments where it would be most useful, secure buildings, subways, etc., frown on them. Foolish I agree, especially since it is in no way a weapon-like tool. My substitute is a Pocketwrench. II. A poor substitute I agree. But, in my experience, acceptable almost everywhere.

#266151 - 12/28/13 07:15 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dunno about that. $52 for a Boker Plus Cop Tool versus $15.50 for the Countycomm Mid-Breach Robotics Bar.

#266164 - 12/29/13 02:28 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
square off the nail notch in the crook end to fit chain link fence wire diameter....a wire breaker is born... a way to defeat chain link fence might come in handy

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289933&KPID=976331&pla=pla_976331

#266166 - 12/29/13 03:03 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: LesSnyder]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
square off the nail notch in the crook end to fit chain link fence wire diameter....a wire breaker is born.

Would you explain a bit more about how you'd use this? I can't visualize it. It seems you can't get very good leverage, and even if you do, wouldn't the crowbar just stretch the wire, rather than cutting it?

#266175 - 12/29/13 04:17 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Bingley... though I've used my wonder bar to break chain link fence without deepening the nail notch... it slips occasionally.. if the sides of the nail notch are deepened, and cut more parallel, and the wire diameter fits rather tightly, a quick lift (90 degrees to the direction of the wire) can usually break the chain link... the wire is not very ductile and usually snaps... I know you are a knife person... this is found on a lot of the military fixed blades

#268573 - 03/26/14 11:42 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Bandanna.

Why you need one: It's a dust mask, it's a would wiper, it's a stuff holder, it's a hat. It's the single most versatile piece of cloth you will carry.

#268695 - 03/29/14 04:23 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
I recently started carrying the Gerber Artifact -- No orange on it LOL.

Thought I would test it out. At only $9.00 retail not the end of the world if I end up not liking it.

The small blade is only light duty, but is replaceable and came with two extra ones. Blade is pretty much just good for a package opener, but I figure it saves wear on whatever other knife I might happen to be carrying at the moment.

Very light; fits well on my key ring and in my pocket -- snuggles up nicely next to my Squirt.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.