The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248350 - 07/11/12 09:34 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: Treeseeker]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Like others, I have multiple cables and chargers for just about any electronic gadget we have.

A sampling of some.

I also carry a 140 watt 12V/120V inverter and also a 750 watt 12V/120V inverter along with a 120V/12V volt AA/AAA battery charger and 12 volt power outlet which also has 2 USB ports.

For solar, I have 2 sets of these folding portable panels which connect via a controller to a Group 34 AGM deep cycle battery. These panels don't have the highest ouput but easily work for our needs when doing longer term camping and hiking where we will set up a base camp as a jumping off point to other destinations.

John Lubbock

#248369 - 07/12/12 02:13 AM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm OK on the idea of charger for vehicle and home/office. But about 3-4 years ago, the cellphone and electronics industry all agreed to standardize on USB chargers specifically the micro-USB adapter. It took a little while longer but the manufacturers finally got around to doing so. Unfortunately there are still some electronics that use the mini-USB and some unfortuate souls using the full size USB.

Once everybody gets on board and properly standardized, the number of chargers required should go dramatically lower. Car manufacturers are getting the hint as well as they are supplying USB ports for accessories in addition to the lighter plug outlet in their newer vehicles. These ports are used for both data transfer and power.

As it is, in the car I use a mini-USB to lighter plug for my GPS. I use a micro-USB for the both work and personal cell phones and my bluetooth earpeice. I carry a 75-watt inverter in the vehicle to use with my AAx4 battery charger. I haven't tried running my laptop off the inverter yet but theroretically it shouldn't be a problem since the wall charger only outputs 65-watts. I suspect the inverter will handle it but the wiring might get a bit warm if used for an extended period.

Otherwise I use 1 micro-USB charger for home and another for the office. The problem comes with the circuity for the chargers. A USB charger is supposed to conform to the standards for power usage, but my Samsung Galaxy wants to see a trickle charge for the last 4% of charging so any other conforming charger will not completely charge the phone. On the other hand my BlackBerry charger can deliver 0.7amps when the USB spec says 0.5amps max. SO MUCH for standardization!

Can you say too much electronics???

#248393 - 07/12/12 06:08 AM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: Roarmeister]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

My solution on this issue was to buy a Morphie case/battery unit for my IPhone 4S. This not only almost doubles my battery storage capacity, it allows me to charge the combined uni with a miniUSB cable. That fits onto the Apple supplied wall charger AND lets me continue to use my old Energizer 2AA lithium Charg-To-Go, as an emergency backup. For the car I have two DC coil cord chargers. One to go directly into the IPhone, without the Morphie. The other with the miniUSB connection, a leftover from my Blackberry, can charge the Morphie alone or both units if they're connected.

#248409 - 07/12/12 01:45 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: Treeseeker]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I'd like to add solar to my charging options as well, but the panels still seem quite expensive, and some of the terminology is way more than confusing and quite overwhelming to me at times. I think we've had some decent threads before on solar panels and chargers, maybe I'll take another look and try to decipher it all.

#260254 - 05/03/13 10:23 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

car charger
work charger ( left at work)
Home chargers 2

Is that too many?

tro

#262153 - 07/28/13 03:18 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And I have an aa battery phone charger for when the power goes...

#262173 - 07/29/13 09:49 AM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

If your phone has a replaceable battery, check amazon, they are typically not expensive these days. I got a couple batteries for my Galaxy Note 2 for about $20, and one fits nicely in my jeans watch pocket.

#262177 - 07/29/13 12:47 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Mark... since obtaining my 7w Goal Zero, a couple of additional units have caught my attention... ones by Powerfilm and Instapark... the one from Instapark claims 10w and ability to charge from two 5v USB ports at 2a.....I think like most any new technology, as soon as it hits the market, there is an upgrade by someone...that being said, my charging requirements are for an old flip phone that uses miniUSB, and charges with the Guide 10 battery pack, my Goal Zero unit works well...the Guide 10 pack charges additionally from a USB charger... auto or home... an additional controller charger recommended by AFLM is the Fujicell SCH 808F... it works on 120v as well as 12v dc....a lot of recommendations on the Maha brand chargers on the net... I've been happy with the 808, but use it only for charging the Sanyo Eneloop AAs... I can't recommend them enough...so far, tropical storm season has been light, so no actual use, even during Debbie... good luck on your search.. please report back...

#262404 - 08/08/13 05:23 PM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Good point, my satchel I use for work and wandering the city has a few support items for my phone: wall charger and usb cable, external battery, and aloksak for severe weather. I have an Iphone which burns through battery at a ridiculous pace when its used a lot, but by turning off different functions (data, location services, putting in airplane mode) when I'm not using them, I can extend the battery for days. I do this when I'm camping since I don't need to be connected, but I might want to be. In an emergency I would probably do the same thing. Data and location off to conserve battery or turn it to airplane mode and just check for messages every half-hour or so.

#265032 - 11/13/13 03:32 AM Re: Beginner prep - Chargers [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...And thinking about an external battery as well ( phone, tablet, etc)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.