Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#268668 - 03/28/14 02:54 PM Re: Rabbit tv-anyone have personal experience? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Music, Film, TV and other media has seriously declined in quality in the last 20 years.

Nope. You've gotten older. All older people deride the media of the current generation. (Elvis was widely derided as "crap" as were the Beatles) In fact, we're in the "best ever" days of television.

Consider:
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Orphan Black

Compare this to "The Flying Nun" or "Benny Hill" or "Chips" or "Married with Children" or really any number of other drivel. Shows like M*A*S*H were the far outliers in the past. Today shows like "Sherlock" are orders of magnitude better in terms of production value, creative content and acting than so much that came before. YOU may not be the market, but objectively (by market share) and subjectively (by critical and audience engagement) TV is attracting the best of the best in terms of creative talent.

This article really goes into it deeply:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/box-seat/how-tv-got-so-good-20130320-2gfd7.html

As does this:
http://guyism.com/entertainment/movies/m...all-screen.html

#268673 - 03/28/14 04:00 PM Re: Rabbit tv-anyone have personal experience? [Re: MartinFocazio]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
What's considered "good" is definitely defined by your age. When I was young, the Led Zeppelin that I liked was considered way out there by my parents, but now I hear it on elevators.

When I go to an NHL hockey game, they often have a choice of three songs to "play next" during intermissions. The audience gets to vote (with applause volume when the songs are announced). It is almost always the "oldie" of the group of songs wins. Probably because, by-in-large, us old people are the only ones who can routinely afford the expensive NHL tickets.

I have fond memories of watching the "Get Smart" TV show with my family when it was originally aired. Somehow, I think if I watched it again now, I would say, "What a idiotic show!"

I was into rock-n-roll in my youth. Now I'm into Beethoven, Debussy, Liszt, Brahms, Chopin ... times change. We get old (which kind of sucks, but the alternative is worse).

#268674 - 03/28/14 11:38 PM Re: Rabbit tv-anyone have personal experience? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Compare this to "The Flying Nun" or "Benny Hill" or "Chips" or "Married with Children" or really any number of other drivel. Shows like M*A*S*H were the far outliers in the past. Today shows like "Sherlock" are orders of magnitude better in terms of production value, creative content and acting than so much that came before. YOU may not be the market, but objectively (by market share) and subjectively (by critical and audience engagement) TV is attracting the best of the best in terms of creative talent.

There are a few contemporary exceptions of course, but there were so many great TV shows back in the 1970s, 80s and 90s in the UK, many you wouldn't of heard off in the USA.

The Ascent of Man
Portahouse Blue
Survivors (1975)
The Sweeney
The Life and Loves of a She-Devil
Hamish McBeth
I, Claudius
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Beiderbecke Affair.
Edge of Darkness
Quatermass (1979)
Coupling
Cracker
Rebus
Callan
Boys from the black stuff

I could go on and on. Believe me there was nothing wrong with the acting on these TV shows. I would actually re rather watch 'Blakes 7' than Battlestar Galactica (2004-209) even without the glossy high production values.

I also do not like the levels of violence especially in todays American TV shows. If they ever made a remake of Columbo today there would probably by a SWAT team in tow. frown

I won't even get onto the state of the music today.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/28/14 11:53 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.