Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#268647 - 03/27/14 05:53 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Thanks Hikermor.

#268650 - 03/27/14 06:17 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: hikermor

So,could one just find a rock shelter, make minor adjustments, and meet this requirement? I ask, because easily my best nights have been spent in natural shelters (better than even any nights in tents).

The way I read the requirement, yes it would hikermor

of course, as it ends up, it is up to the merit badge counselor as to what they teach and require to complete this requirement, as well as the scoutmaster's discretion/approval. As the merit badge counselor in question for our group, when we get to the shelter session of the merit badge, I want to at least discuss but preferably have the boys attempt to build various types of shelters, using man made materials such as tarps, ponchos, emergency blankets and cordage as well as natural shelters. I don't want to overwhelm them with too much, but I'd like them to see several examples of what is possible using items they could carry easily on their person, as well as several examples of what they can do for their natural shelter.

The merit badge pamphlet actually has a pretty good section devoted to shelters, starting with a picture of a scout huddled up in a large garbage bag, hug-a-tree style (the face hole etc). It goes on to discuss how the scouts should assess their surroundings and materials available, including any equipment they have with them like a tent, dining fly, tarp, etc. It discusses the importance of the shelter to not only keep out of the wind and rain but also to conserve body heat. It goes even further to discuss location, insulation from the ground, many various ways to use natural resources in building the shelter, especially when it accomplishes much of the building process for them. There are helpful photos and illustrations of scouts under tarp shelters, in caves, under trees, utilizing large rocks as part of their shelters, as well as presenting various types of snow shelters like tree pit, snow pit, snow trench, and snow caves.

As Montanero already pointed out, the WSMB pamphlet/handbook is an excellent survival resource.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (03/27/14 06:26 PM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.