Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#268515 - 03/24/14 04:19 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: buckeye]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
the different learning types is part of why we use the EDGE method

Explaining for the auditory learners

Demonstrating for the visual learners

Guide(d) practice for the hands on learners

(which) Enable(s) them to do it on their own

#268516 - 03/24/14 04:28 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Deathwind]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

yes deathwind, i am pushing to get some time in upcoming meetings to do this

some of the requirements/topics lend themselves well to classroom time, like list the 7 survival priorities from memory, or discuss ways to avoid panic and maintain a high level of morale when lost, or the first aid requirements

keeping my fingers crossed

#268517 - 03/24/14 04:41 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: gonewiththewind]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

that's awesome info montanero, good to know that BSA is right in line with such notable experts

I also noticed in the wilderness survival resources part of the handbook it lists this site as an internet resource

resources for the survival kit portion would be appreciated, however, neither I not the troop have the financial resources to provide a kit for each scout. I am considering asking for a fee to cover the cost of such a kit, but it won't be cheap, looking at about $20 minimum to have some decent quality items in it. Currently, my plan is to bring in all the necessary (and a few unnecessary) items to assemble for a kit, split the boys into groups of 2 or 3, have each group pick the items they think would make for a good kit, and then present their kit items to everyone, with an explanation of why they included each item and what they could use it for. Obviously, I'd like them to follow up on their own and assemble their own kits at home and bring them to a meeting to show everyone.

awesome advice on the emergency preparedness, I will make plans to follow up with that asap

#268519 - 03/24/14 06:34 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I also approached each skill as a problem that needed to be solved, and did it in as realistic an environment as I could. I had the scouts brainstorming through how to solve each problem (signalling, shelter building, water purification, etc) and think about what things had to be considered (environmental conditions, materials at hand, threats, etc.) and then introduced new tools and materials and let them incorporate these into their problem solving. This seems to stick in their minds better. it also is generally good to teach problem solving as often as possible. Don't be too ready with a solution for them, and let them try bad options and fail, then show them exactly why it didn't work. It depends on how much time you have though.

Go to a pharmacy (Walgreens, Riteaid, CVS) and look around, there is much there that is inexpensive and valuable for survival. Cotton balls, petroleum jelly, cordage (I like unwaxed dental floss, it is compact and you get 100 yards, it is also pretty strong).

Then go to a hardware store. Get a box of contractor garbage bags, a bright color if you can find them. They are cheap, strong and make a great shelter or poncho to preserve their body temperature. Hacksaw blades are great for small cutting jobs such as building a shelter, and you can cut one into three or four separate tools. They can also be sharpened on the flat side to make an improvised knife. There are any number of inexpensive flashlights there. Also lots of cordage for cheap.

If your garbage bags are not a bright color for signalling, go to a store that sells fabric and find a nice cotton material in a bright color. A light material can provide a sizable signal panel in a compact package. Buying in bulk reduces the price in many cases.

I also reinforce the 10 essentials, and being properly dressed for the outing. Being properly dressed is what will save their life in most cases. If they have their 10 essentials, they have most of the material they need for survival, and this is just good reinforcement. You can also have them empty their pockets and see how useful the items may be, I am always surprised what you find in some of their pockets! Also reiterate planning and leaving a plan with someone. This is what they should be doing all the time anyway, even on a car trip with their families. someone should know where they are going and when they should be there.

I brought out some other items that can be found sometimes in a survival situation, such as a broken car mirror, compact discs, extraneous bits of cloth, rubber bands, wire, plastic grocery bags, clear garbage bags, a sheet of tyvek, and other items. This is just to get them thinking of how to use materials they find around. You can introduce these in their problem solving for whichever priority you are working on. this helps them to think more creatively in solving the problem and not to stop when they do not have the "proper" equipment.

#268523 - 03/24/14 09:21 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
haha definitely good advice there MDinana, here we really have to watch for snakes (copperheads and the occasional timber rattler) and black widow spiders are a possibility, so during the shelter session, we'll plan to talk a bit about site selection

the shelter session is one of my concern areas, esp the part where they have to build a natural shelter to spend the night in ... to reduce the environmental impact, i have already collected shelter poles from trees close to my home that were being cut down, the plan being to have them construct a debris hut type shelter like this, the main ridge pole and some smaller branches for the "ribs" are what I have already collected

I thought it would be easy to do, but am starting to wonder, it looks like there are some awfully big gaps between the "ribs" for the debris to just fall right through on their shelters, any suggestions or insight on this?

Well to be honest, my shelter kept getting de-constructed by another class that was taking the course, so my "shelter" ended up being a few branches to construct a half-ass lean to, made the day of the overnighter. That really pissed me off at the time.

I'd say you just have to add more support/lateral beams. Try using branches with leaves still on them, if it's available, as they'll start to tangle and support each other If need be you could always dig instead of build up. Foxholes aren't great shelters, but they work for a night, if it's dry.

Thank goodness I didn't have to deal with snakes. Just the possibility of bison.

http://www.sgvcbsa.org/programs/camping/camp-cherry-valley

#268524 - 03/24/14 09:27 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: gonewiththewind]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

even more useful info, thanks montanero

I do hope to use the problem solving technique you mentioned as much as possible. Can you give more details about how you did this? I'm imagining, for example, that during the shelter building portion you might present the boys with a need to build a shelter, but with no more resources than what they have on their person, then add a fanny pack with an emergency blanket or two, then a pack with maybe a tarp and lots of cordage? One way I was planning to incorporate this technique was with the water purification. In one scenario, they would just be lost and would have the full use of their pack which included a water filter; in the second scenario, they had taken a fall down a rocky hill, which busted up their water filter too badly to use, but luckily their mess kit was intact and fully usable to boil water; in the third scenario, they lost their pack completely, and had only what was in their PSK (water bag and purification tablets) to purify their drinking water. This approach is also why I've asked for more than just a single weekend camp out to teach this.

You seem to have read my mind about the inexpensive survival kit items. I had every intention of presenting the boys with inexpensive options (like the contractor/garbage bags and inexpensive kit container options) to show them (and their parents) that they can build an effective kit without breaking the bank. I also wanted to show them some upgrade options (like a heatsheet bivvy or a better survival kit container) that are available.

The 10 essentials are a must. The BSA WSMB pamphlet states that their survival kit should start with their ten essentials and build on that. Sadly, I'm not so sure that they carry much in their pockets. One of the main points I hope to get across to the boys is to make sure they have some critical survival gear somewhere on their person during any outdoor activity. I hope to also use plausible and realistic scenarios to drive this point across to the adults in the group, so I won't be as likely to get poo pooed when I ask that carrying the ten essentials and a supplemental PSK be mandatory (i.e. bring it or stay/go back home) for any outdoor activities we do.

#268525 - 03/24/14 09:33 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Mark, I present them with a scenario that explains how they ended up in a survival situation and what they have to work with. I add resources as they are figuring out how to solve it one way, so they can try another way. They do get helpful hints and tips on how to do specific tasks. It is not a test, just an exercise for their brains.

I do plan to take the older scouts out soon for a survival exercise with only what is in their survival kits, no ten essentials in a backpack. I will also introduce many of them to going from live animal to prepared meal. That should be interesting for some of them. This campout is intended only as a fun confidence builder.

#268529 - 03/25/14 01:56 AM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Mark, for the merit badge, you can't actually USE anything other than what's available in the area you'll be doing the camping. And the night of the overnighter, you pretty much get what you're wearing. So, yes, you can wear 5 or 6 layers, but you can't bring a space blanket or poncho or anything like that. You sure as heck can't use those things to construct your shelter.

At least, that's how mine was. I don't have the latest edition of the MB manual in front of us.

Edited by MDinana (03/25/14 01:58 AM)

#268532 - 03/25/14 12:35 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

MDinana, yes, they must sleep in a shelter they built out of locally available materials. However, they should learn to build shelters out of anything that they can find. I have seen grown people, well trained, have such tunnel vision on what they were "supposed" to build that they totally disregarded very useful materials and features in the environment. They expend great effort and resources building it when they could have easily produced a better shelter at lower resource cost. When teaching techniques for each of the priorities, the scouts should be encouraged to observe and increase their situational awareness. The first "Priority" in the BSA list is S.T.O.P: Stop, Observe, Think, Plan. I like to give them a variety of unusual materials and challenge them to build a shelter out of them.

In my own experience, I have always been surprised what materials you find in some very unusual places. Except for the park system, which generally is kept clean, you can almost always find manmade materials if you keep your eyes open. While this particular merit badge is wilderness survival, I have taught more urban specific shelters for the emergency preparedness merit badge, such as the cardboard shelter, which can be very warm if built right.

The ten essentials do not include a tent of poncho, or even a space blanket. I do encourage them, however, to learn to build shelters our of anything.

#268533 - 03/25/14 12:40 PM Re: tips to teach wilderness survival merit badge [Re: Mark_F]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

For anyone interested, here is a link for some of the merit badge pamphlets which have been made available online:
Merit Badge Pamphlets

Most BSA districts have a store in their area where these pamphlets can be purchased in hard copy. As I have stated, the BSA Wilderness Survival pamphlet is in keeping with the correct principles of survival and is a useful resource when teaching survival. IMHO, 99.999% of the people out there are trying to survive until rescue, and are trying to make that rescue more likely. The BSA program works for this.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.