Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268213 - 03/17/14 01:51 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Casio AWG-101 - I bought it 4 years ago now, and it's probably the best watch (for me) I have ever owned.

It looks very much like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Mens-AWGM100...shock+awg101-1a

It's Solar, and unlike a lot of solar watches, has no problem charging even under indoor florescent lighting.

It's atomic - I never set it. It handles Daylight Savings time perfectly, it even adjusts the analog hands to match.

It has a back light that not terribly bright, but good enough to see what time it is in the dark.

It's rugged. I wear it every day. I work on cars, I work, sleep and play in this watch. So far, it's been completely bulletproof, and at $130, I'm not overly conscious about it getting beat up a little.

It's water-resistance to 660 feet. I've never had problems with water getting into this watch.

The lettering on the outside is still as good as the day I bought it, it NEVER wears off. The crystal is protected by the case, and to this day, I have yet to manage to scratch it.. even working on cars from time to time.

When it dies, if it dies, I'll replace it with one just like it if I can.

#268214 - 03/17/14 01:58 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I now carry a pocket watch.

#268216 - 03/17/14 02:01 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'v been wearing a Luminox - 3600 Series - Titanium Navy SEAL Dive Series. Keeps time well and is lightweight.

The battery recently died and the local Jewellers were quoting a ridiculous price of $100 for a battery change and it would take 3 weeks. So I ended up buying an Invicta 0138 Sea Spider instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0138-Colle..._pr_product_top

http://invictawatch.com/collections/view-model/0138-sea-spider

The Sea Spider is a nice watch but too much of a bling watch. Both watches have Swiss made movements

I did eventually had the battery changed after shopping around $30 and it took less than 1hr.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/17/14 02:04 PM)

#268217 - 03/17/14 02:05 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: RNewcomb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I also wear a Casio - "Twin Sensor" or something like that. Includes a digital compass which is rarely used, but it does come in handy now and then.

Mine is waterproof all the way down to 200 meters (much better than 660 feet!*), which is more than I can say for its wearer....

*that's an incredibly subtle joke, son....

#268218 - 03/17/14 02:06 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
+1 for a casio, my current one is this casio salarms

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/wat/watch_detail/AE-1000W-1AV/

#268220 - 03/17/14 02:09 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Timex Expedition...inexpensive, waterproof and durable. I have, however, had some problems with the light and/or alarm going on these after a few years but this is not a huge issue. It isn't the best for dress, but for everyday is OK (I have the Expedition women's field watch for when I need a nicer looking watch, but the set knob tends to get caught on things and I have had one break as a result...not impressed with the durability of this one). You men seem to have a lot more to pick from as far as watches that are both practical and look nice...I know there's nothing stopping us women from just buying a "men's" watch, but I am not someone who could carry this off without it looking ridiculously big. So, I wear the practical-but-not-that-attractive sporty watch.

#268227 - 03/17/14 03:17 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Casio Pro-Trek PRW-1500. It's solar powered, and corrects its time via radio signal. It loses about 0.2 seconds a day when it doesn't have signal. It's water resistant to 200m. In its most basic function as a trouble-free time piece, it's pretty good. I trust it more than I do my phone.

It has compass, barometer and altimeter. I figure the compass saves me carrying a button compass; I have found it useful for basic orientation in unfamiliar towns. I like having the air-pressure graph for seeing what the weather has been up to. I've never used the barometer. (I think that's the only feature I don't get value from.)

It has multiple alarms, stop-watch and down-counting features. I have used all of these at one time or another. The down-counter is limited to an hour, and is apparently intended for yacht-racing, which isn't as useful to me as it might be.

It shows phase of the moon, which I love, and also the state of the tides, which I also love although I don't live near enough the sea for it to be useful. Also, I suspect the tidal display isn't accurate. Part of what I like is that elements of the display change at varying rates. There's a seconds indicator that goes around the dial, the tidal display changes hourly, and the lunar display changes over a period of days. All about the cycles of the world, as a time-piece should be.

I hated my previous watch but I love this one. I am a nerd and I like features. Physically it is quite bulky, and cosmetically it is not what you'd call a dress watch. Personally I'd prefer less writing on it.

In due course I'll probably get a smart watch (but not until they can make payments via RFID), and then I'll probably be wearing two watches.

#268231 - 03/17/14 04:08 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: Brangdon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
In due course I'll probably get a smart watch

Found this watch (save $5,480) over RRP. Now only $480... wink

http://www.amazon.com/JBW-JB-6215-238-A-...BEGYPNZQKRJHH2A

#268239 - 03/17/14 05:29 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Personally, I'm a fan of relatively simple, analogue field watches.

However, recently, I've been a bit tough on my casual watches (i.e., those I'd wear when heading outdoors). Over the last couple of years I had a Timex Expedition E-Compass watch and a Momentum Atlas but both ended up with broken crystals (ironically, both in an office environment; not actually during what I thought would've been rough use). With the latter I was also having issues with the spring pins popping out at inconvenience times which was becoming a bit of a hassle (the Timex's pins screwed in, which was nice).

So, in a last ditch effort in find a watch I couldn't break (without resorting to a G-Shock which I don't like the style of) I picked up a Bertucci AT-2. These watches are a solid piece of titanium (they use a nato-style strap as the "pins" don't come out) and have recessed crystals. I also got their pro-guard which is an elastomer case cover that slips over the watch to provide added impact and abrasion resistance (which further protects the crystal!). So far I am pretty pleased with the purchase and think it is a great choice.

As an aside, I was recently inspired (by Man v. Wild ... I know, I know smile ) to start practising using my watch as a compass with the sun and am getting pretty comfortable with it.

#268247 - 03/17/14 07:05 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: Denis]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I like that Bertucci watch! I will definitely look into one of those as a potential "next watch", when my current one dies. I doubt it will ever die the way it's been holding up for me, however, the crystal is getting chipped around the edges and has on scratch on it. So the watch may get replaced at some point.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.