Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#268342 - 03/19/14 04:19 AM Nasty insecticide in hotels?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Since situational awareness is half of staying alive, I thought this might be of interest to ETS members who travel farther afield.

There are reports of a particularly nasty insecticide (aluminum phosphide) being used to kill bedbugs in tourist hotels (particularly in Asia). If humans are carelessly/accidentally exposed, the effects are rapid and potentially fatal, and there is no antidote.

The source linked here is Wired!, so you can judge the credibility for yourself; but other news outlets have picked this up as well.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/03/dead-tourists-and-a-dangerous-pesticide/

I'm not sure what average travellers could do to protect themselves, though.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/19/14 04:20 AM)

#268355 - 03/19/14 06:22 PM Re: Nasty insecticide in hotels? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Shortly after you posted this article, I noticed a news item about a hotel in Berkeley that had to be evacuated and hazmat called in because someone committed suicide by chemical and I was thinking, "Did someone read this article and get the idea to...?" Seemed crazy, but copycats often do crazy things.

Turns out, it was a different chemical (sodium azide). The woman was in her 80's. Probably no connection to this story at all.

But back to the story. Scary to think that you can't detect it until it has already poisoned you and your body is shutting down.

#268357 - 03/19/14 06:28 PM Re: Nasty insecticide in hotels? [Re: Arney]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Arney
Shortly after you posted this article, I noticed a news item about a hotel in Berkeley that had to be evacuated and hazmat called in because someone committed suicide by chemical and I was thinking, "Did someone read this article and get the idea to...?" Seemed crazy, but copycats often do crazy things.

Turns out, it was a different chemical (sodium azide). The woman was in her 80's. Probably no connection to this story at all.

In some countries 'chemical suicide' is not uncommen. Usually they are kind enough to out down a warning sign for bystanders/first responders...

#268358 - 03/19/14 06:50 PM Re: Nasty insecticide in hotels? [Re: Tjin]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Tjin
In some countries 'chemical suicide' is not uncommen. Usually they are kind enough to out down a warning sign for bystanders/first responders...

True, even killing yourself using a drug overdose is a "chemical suicide" when you think about it. This lady did leave a note, which is why the building was evacuated and hazmat was called in.

#268479 - 03/22/14 03:50 PM Re: Nasty insecticide in hotels? [Re: Tjin]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Not very far from me this week.

MARION -- Marion Police have released more information about a hazardous materials incident on Mechanic Street.

Police say they were called to 1003 S. Mechanic Street around 10:35 p.m. Thursday for an apparent suicide.

"The Marion Police Department was notified that there was a sign on the inside of a vehicle indicating that a poisonous gas was used," the department stated in a release Friday morning.

Investigators identified the substance as hydrogen sulfide. All hazardous materials have been removed.

Police are not releasing the man's name at this time. The investigation is ongoing.

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Possible-Hazmat-Situation-in-Marion-251353011.html

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.