Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267850 - 03/04/14 05:23 AM any sawyers out there? need advice
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

just rec'd my 'b' sawyer classification from the forest service. will be using 6' two-man bucking saw.

q. any tips or hints for carrying the wedges, lubricant, handles?

sure, they could go in the backpack, but think outside storage would be more handy & practical.

?

thanks!

#267853 - 03/04/14 03:14 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Crosscut or Chainsaw?

Bucking or Felling?

Clearing or thinning?

Wilderness, remote or driveup?

Are you limited to the B 24"?

Mostly, how much are you moving and how far must you haul it before starting to work?

Thanks.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267854 - 03/04/14 04:00 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: JerryFountain]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

thanks for your response. see below.

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Crosscut or Chainsaw?

> > crosscut - working in federally designated wilderness areas - no mechanization allowed

Bucking or Felling?

> > bucking

Clearing or thinning?

> > clearing trails

Wilderness, remote or driveup?

> > wilderness - no chainsaws. sometimes need to pack in 5 + miles. if lucky drive near.

Are you limited to the B 24"?

> > yes, sir. other sawyers accompany - some Cs

Mostly, how much are you moving and how far must you haul it before starting to work?

> > carrying 2 plastic bucking wedges + 2 aluminum bucking wedges for placing across the kerf + 4 oz bottle saw lube + 2 14" wooden handles + first aid kit. backpack on back with poss axe attached + carrying 6' saw.

Thanks.

> > thank you!

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by bsmith (03/04/14 05:27 PM)
Edit Reason: misunderstood the question

#267855 - 03/04/14 06:31 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
For work in a local area I always preferred a bucket like the Klein (http://www.benmeadows.com/klein-tools-canvas-tool-bucket_s_132405/?searchterm=bucket) The stay open bucket is easy to get to and easy to return to. Hand carry in a local area is OK. When traveling I prefer a pack style. In years past I have seen buckets with pack straps (I think they were actually rope buckets, but they worked if the back was padded. Since you are already carrying a pack, that won't work either. I have seen some sawyers who use a vest like: http://www.benmeadows.com/swedepro-forestry-tool-vests_36808761/ to carry their gear. Personally I find it confining, particular when using a crosscut. Another technique would be to find a way to clip or hang your bucket from the Pack you carry (I have done this when carrying a chainsaw on a pack frame). Just make sure it is secure and not swinging around.

No association with Ben Medows, just use them a lot and knew the URL. I am sure there are similar items from other suppliers.

Respectfully,

Jerry

p.s. Congrats on your B, hope it comes with a healthy raise! jf

Edited by JerryFountain (03/04/14 07:02 PM)
Edit Reason: fix url

#267858 - 03/04/14 09:40 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: JerryFountain]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

jerry,
thanks for the leads.

"p.s. Congrats on your B, hope it comes with a healthy raise! jf"

no, actually i'm a volunteer, as are all of the sawyers i work with in our area. apparently the forest service has no funds for what we do.

#267861 - 03/05/14 03:08 AM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Not sure I should chime in, since I'm not a sawyer in any officially recognized capacity. I'm just a regular run-of-the-mill feller. whistle

I'd like to hear more about the work you're doing, bsmith. Sounds interesting ... and worthwhile.

And regarding transportation: if the terrain isn't too rough, or the deadfall too thick, maybe something like a wheelbarrow with an oversized bicycle wheel? Or a bicycle rigged for cargo instead of riding? Just a notion.

#267869 - 03/05/14 12:24 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I believe wheels of any kind are not allowed in USFS wilderness.

#267871 - 03/05/14 02:13 PM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I'd like to hear more about the work you're doing, bsmith. Sounds interesting ... and worthwhile.

And regarding transportation: if the terrain isn't too rough, or the deadfall too thick, maybe something like a wheelbarrow with an oversized bicycle wheel? Or a bicycle rigged for cargo instead of riding? Just a notion.

>> certain areas of our national forests, by law, are designated wilderness. many things and activities are prohibited, chainsaws being one. so when a tree has fallen across a trail, or is a hazard, a hand crew needs to go in and remove the portion of the tree that's blocking the trail or take down the hazard tree. in our area that work is done by volunteers. the volunteers need to be certified-by-the-forest-service sawyers. class 'b' can work on any fallen tree < 24" in diameter. we typically use two-man, 6 foot or more, saws. think 1800s saws.

>> no wheeled vehicles. wheelchairs are the only exception.

#267889 - 03/06/14 12:06 AM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: bsmith]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Weren't those saws known as "misery whips"?

definition of wilderness - "a place where the hand of man has never set foot."

#267890 - 03/06/14 01:05 AM Re: any sawyers out there? need advice [Re: hikermor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Weren't those saws known as "misery whips"?
i've heard that term before. grin

this is me and the boys.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.